British Speedway Forum

39 minutes ago, falcace said:

Interesting read and probably a fair summary. I have been to about 80% of the Cardiff GPs and enjoyed the weekend regardless of the racing. Some has been great, some pretty good, some poor. But either way, it's a fantastic stadium, a brilliant city and great to spend time in pubs with people from all over the UK (and beyond) talking speedway. It's the right place for a Speedway GP...it would be lost in London...and Belle Vue can't bring the prestige. But the track issue needs nailing.

I didn't go this year and really, its down to cost. In previous years its never been a cheap weekend, but I would swallow it as a treat. In today's climate, with bills and petrol soaring, every bit of spend is much more considered. And with young mouths to feed and an uncertain winter, I just couldn't justify a few hundred quid on a weekend at the speedway. There will be others like me making the same calculation. 

I get what you mean, it's a real shame that some of the associated costs around the weekend can be so high. I'm fortunate in that I only have myself to look after and believe me I'm as tight as they come and really stretch my pound out as far as I can, 60mph all the way down there and back and a diet of Aldi & Maccies all weekend. I did stay over this year for the SGP2 on the Sunday, but generally drive there and back in a day as I don't mind a late night. Turns out my night away this year was a waste of money really.

Just taking the event by itself, I do think the organisers should be applauded for a £22.50 ticket, compared to events held at similar venues that's an absolute bargain... even if it was crap, I've seen worse at many tracks up and down the country tbh, it's just this years event wasn't in keeping with the stage on which it was set.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, markandrew23 said:

Is the date for Cardiff 2023 supposed to be announced today ? 

September 2nd

15 hours ago, Rob B said:

What would you have done at Wembley then, which everyone raves about. 

Today, Wembley has huge areas for fan zones & concession stands. It also has a tube station with trains taking less than 10 mins to central London with 3 stop offs in-between. So lots to do and places to stay - if required. 
In the “old days”  sell out Wembley finals didn’t have anything but beer & hot dogs for those who came and went (via car, bus train) without stopovers before or after the meeting as it was seen as a day out”. 

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

Interesting press release - says Dan will be defending his British GP title then which rather suggests his place is guaranteed for 2023

Well he's currently in top 6,  but even if he drops out a series wildcard must be a very very high probability. And failing that the organisers would be mad not to give him the local wildcard.

1 hour ago, falcace said:

Interesting read and probably a fair summary. I have been to about 80% of the Cardiff GPs and enjoyed the weekend regardless of the racing. Some has been great, some pretty good, some poor. But either way, it's a fantastic stadium, a brilliant city and great to spend time in pubs with people from all over the UK (and beyond) talking speedway. It's the right place for a Speedway GP...it would be lost in London...and Belle Vue can't bring the prestige. But the track issue needs nailing.

I didn't go this year and really, its down to cost. In previous years its never been a cheap weekend, but I would swallow it as a treat. In today's climate, with bills and petrol soaring, every bit of spend is much more considered. And with young mouths to feed and an uncertain winter, I just couldn't justify a few hundred quid on a weekend at the speedway. There will be others like me making the same calculation. 

It's a while since I've been. Niels Kristian Iversen won it last time I went, whenever that was.

I actually splashed out this year, for the first time really. Home straight tickets and two rooms in a city centre hotel!

Felt like I'd been on holiday when I came back!

It's odd for me reading all the "never going again" comments, because, for me, it re-lit the speedway bug a bit. I'm already thinking about going again next year. 

• Like 4

On 8/14/2022 at 11:06 AM, scoobydoo said:

When Woffinden was being interviewed with Ronnie O'Sullivan had to pause the picture to determine if he was wearing a dress or a top and matching shorts 

A poor mans Lewis Hamilton!

8 minutes ago, oldswindonsupporter said:

Just wondering how was an injured rider, Adam Ellis, passed fit to ride? Who makes the call to ride or refuse?

A qualified Doctor

19 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Today, Wembley has huge areas for fan zones & concession stands. It also has a tube station with trains taking less than 10 mins to central London with 3 stop offs in-between. So lots to do and places to stay - if required. 
In the “old days”  sell out Wembley finals didn’t have anything but beer & hot dogs for those who came and went (via car, bus train) without stopovers before or after the meeting as it was seen as a day out”. 

I say this as someone who has lived in London and has great affection for the place.  Wembley (the area) is a sh**hole and the stadium is soulless. It's a place trading on its name and very little else. Its not even the best venue in North London, never mind the UK.

• Like 7

I've been to every Grand Prix at Cardiff since it was initially moved to Wales.

In that timeI 've seen some memorable meetings, some mediocre ones, poor ones and Saturday must go down as the worst of the lot. 

For the first time in many a year, I just wanted to get up and leave  I was that bored.

The track was terrible, the racing awful, prices scandalous. 

All in all the whole weekend for my partner and myself came close to £600.

I could have bought a season ticket for both my local football and speedway team for that amount of money

I've already made my decision not to go next year as I can't justify the cost. 

Speedway needs to take a long, hard look at itself otherwise its going to end up in the history books.

Far too many people involved in speedway are only in it to rip off the public. Well for me enough is enough. I've paid my fair share over the years to watch a sport I enjoy. 

Now that enjoyment has dried up and I will spend my money on more important things in life.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I took a first timer along on Saturday and he thoroughly enjoyed it and is currently waiting to buy early bird tickets for next year. As a local, the ‘sights’ of Cardiff were no big deal so his enjoyment was all about how fantastic speedway is. 

Yes the track was crap but as a fan without a track now, I still really enjoyed it. Let’s be honest, at least 70% of speedway races feature no passing and a strung out field. 

Probably enjoyed it because you watched your speedway at Brough Park.!!

17 minutes ago, pleasureboy60 said:

All in all the whole weekend for my partner and myself came close to £600.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong... but as we're talking cost, here's my breakdown:

Ticket: £22.50

Accommodation: £41.40

Fuel: £45

Food: £18.92

Total: £127.82

And I had just as crap a time as every one else lol... it could have been a classic though

Even if you doubled it (excluding fuel) how are you knocking on the door of £600? It can be done on the cheap (if you're a car owner) £165 for a couple.

Edited by iainb

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'm not saying you're right or wrong... but as we're talking cost, here's my breakdown:

Ticket: £22.50

Accommodation: £41.40

Fuel: £45

Food: £18.92

Total: £127.82

And I had just as crap a time as every one else lol... it could have been a classic though

Even if you doubled it (excluding fuel) how are you knocking on the door of £600? It can be done on the cheap (if you're a car owner) £165 for a couple.

I'm not sure why food is included in the cost either. Even if you don't go, you're still going to eat.

5 hours ago, markandrew23 said:

Is the date for Cardiff 2023 supposed to be announced today ? 

Don’t know but whatever day it is I’m busy that day doing something else that day 

• Like 1