British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I'm not sure why food is included in the cost either. Even if you don't go, you're still going to eat.

Ah but I wouldn't have "treated" myself to Maccies :party:

1 hour ago, Fixer2 said:

A poor mans Lewis Hamilton!

Shock jock :rolleyes:

For me....

The lad got the tickets (kerching);) - £80

Two nights Ibis for both of us £270 with breakfast. (Very nice, yum yum)...

Spending Money £200 (we had a couple of good evenings. .B))

Petrol/Taxis £100...

£570 in total for me. ..

I save money during the year by not attending many domestic meetings, and instead getting my Speedway fix on TV, often on every day/night of the week with the UK, Sweden, Denmark, Poland's 3 leagues, SEC, SON and the GP's....

Therefore. £570 is just over a tenner a week for 3 days/2 nights of "fun" in a welcoming, speedway focused for the weekend, modern city...

Not been for five years and loved every minute of it, apart from the track grading..:D

Oh. And the racing was a bit crap too. ...;)

Great to see speedway in such places, with a crowd running into tens of thousands not tens of hundreds...

Booking later for next year to hopefully see Dan defend his crown, and increase his lead in the Championship...

• Like 2

I watched the highlights earlier today, confirming it really was that awful. No more trips to Cardiff for me...

6 minutes ago, mikebv said:

For me....

The lad got the tickets (kerching);) - £80

Two nights Ibis for both of us £270 with breakfast. (Very nice, yum yum)...

Spending Money £200 (we had a couple of good evenings. .B))

Petrol/Taxis £100...

£570 in total for me. ..

I save money during the year by not attending many domestic meetings, and instead getting my Speedway fix on TV, often on every day/night of the week with the UK, Sweden, Denmark, Poland's 3 leagues, SEC, SON and the GP's....

Therefore. £570 is just over a tenner a week for 3 days/2 nights of "fun" in a welcoming, speedway focused for the weekend, modern city...

Not been for five years and loved every minute of it, apart from the track grading..:D

Oh. And the racing was a bit crap too. ...;)

Great to see speedway in such places, with a crowd running into tens of thousands not tens of hundreds...

Booking later for next year to hopefully see Dan defend his crown, and increase his lead in the Championship...

So that's both ends of the budget spectrum for us and I dare say we had pretty much the same experience we were looking for... a great weekend interspersed with a couple of crap Speedway meetings. I also got down to Cold Knap at Barry Island and the Cardiff Bay Barrage for a scout around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

So that's both ends of the budget spectrum for us and I dare say we had pretty much the same experience we were looking for... a great weekend interspersed with a couple of crap Speedway meetings. I also got down to Cold Knap at Barry Island and the Cardiff Bay Barrage for a scout around.

Having a 19 year old with me meant my budget needed "stretching" somewhat.. .:D

On my own I would have gone for one night and comfortably spent less than £200 easy....

And still had a great time...

Might leave him at home next year...:D

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Having a 19 year old with me meant my budget needed "stretching" somewhat.. .:D

On my own I would have gone for one night and comfortably spent less than £200 easy....

And still had a great time...

Might leave him at home next year...:D

I suppose the point is, you pay what you think the weekend is worth... With the benefit of hindsight I should have knocked the Sunday meeting on the head and just gone home after the SGP, total cost would have been about £70, pretty much the same as a trip to the NSS on a bank holiday Monday for me... and for an SGP round with 16 of the worlds best riders that is astonishing VFM, and lets not forget the daytime bank holiday meetings at the NSS generally ain't that special.

For those not happy with the price of the weekend I think the answer to the question of cost cannot be laid at the feet of the SGP organisers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pleasureboy60 said:

Far too many people involved in speedway are only in it to rip off the public. Well for me enough is enough. I've paid my fair share over the years to watch a sport I enjoy. 

Now that enjoyment has dried up and I will spend my money on more important things in life.

Who would you say are the “Far too many people involved in speedway” who are “only in it to rip off the public”!

This is the once a year Grand Prix that is staged in Britain. None of those involved in promoting the event have any tie in to British league speedway, nor, since the demise of BSI, a tie in to any other event. Unless you are referring to the FIM who are certainly not in it to rip off the public. 
I get it that you don’t believe you got value for money but let’s face it, Cardiff has never been a bargain so “value for money” is never going to happen. 

The track was awful this year (and has been on very many occasions) , no one is denying that, but then so have plenty other tracks over the years (including Prague, Teterow and Vojens this year) but it’s not an event I attend for the racing - it’s the atmosphere that makes it and, even without Dan’s win, it had all the usual ingredients. Dan’s win made it a special night

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

let’s face it, Cardiff has never been a bargain so “value for money” is never going to happen. 

My ticket for the weekend was £22.50... my ticket for next years event is £22.50

I'm just wondering how much you think it should be for VFM?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

My ticket for the weekend was £22.50... my ticket for next years event is £22.50

I'm just wondering how much you think it should be for VFM?

You have the skill to limit the cost that others might lack. I made a weekend of it so paid the crazy price demanded for a city centre hotel. Having said that, I’ve secured a twin room for two nights bed and breakfast for next year’s GP for £150 all in right in the centre of Cardiff

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

You have the skill to limit the cost that others might lack. I made a weekend of it so paid the crazy price demanded for a city centre hotel. Having said that, I’ve secured a twin room for two nights bed and breakfast for next year’s GP for £150 all in right in the centre of Cardiff

Wow, that's really good value for next year's hotel, I've just been looking and several city centre hotels aren't available for booking yet as we're more than a year out, and those which are taking bookings are all comfortably above £200 per night. 

Any chance you want to share the hotel name, or what booking site you've used to find the good deals? Anything to help me keep the costs down! :)

The British SGP has always been an event - the speedway family congregate on mass in Cardiff for the event. For me the parameters have changed and it is no longer a weekend jolly but a weekend for the family as "speedway" is and has been the family sport.  My children love it (16+12) and without a local track now that Eastbourne Eagles have closed we have maintained our trips to British Final + British SGP ( so Yes it has been a great 2022!!!!). 

There weekend was made by having a photo with Nicki Pedersen on the Sun. Lovely guy was happy to have a chat and says he won't be retiring. 

Hotel - £247 

Tickets - £210 

Petrol - £100 

As a weekend experience it is still something that I would look to do but with hotels difficult to book for Sep '23 - I fully expect this to come at a premium next year. I am seriously looking at making a long week-end of SWC in Wroclaw rather than Cardiff. 

On the most part the event was garbage this weekend with the Bewley victory papering over the cracks. Discovery Sports have not changed a great deal in terms of presentation apart from prolonged tractor dancing and this is now the 3xSGP that has been poor in 2022.

Not sure how true but I have heard many say that VisitWales contributes to the event with the guarantee that no other SGP takes place in the UK and with the advance dates given over a year before hotels can set a premium rate for the event weekend as they do for all events in the Welsh Capital and make a mark up. 

Will be interested to see the numbers announced for this year - whether they will use the Arsenal / Emirates numerical system and state 40,000+ despite the obvious lack of numbers this year. 

2023 - I won't make any commitment until I see the hotel costs.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Moonfish said:

Wow, that's really good value for next year's hotel, I've just been looking and several city centre hotels aren't available for booking yet as we're more than a year out, and those which are taking bookings are all comfortably above £200 per night. 

Any chance you want to share the hotel name, or what booking site you've used to find the good deals? Anything to help me keep the costs down! :)

If you are booking hotels make sure you're using Top Cashback or Quidco, there's quite a saving to be had

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Moonfish said:

If you are in to saving money, the University Accommodation is superb.

En-Suite single bed room £30 per night.

10 minutes walk from St Mary's Street, where most of the pubs are.

Couldn't believe the bar prices in the air conditioned pub  'The Borough'. 6 drinks for our party for only £15:00! Wow!

• Like 2