British Speedway Forum

2 people -we stayed for 2 nights - £200

Tickets                                               £86.00

Food                                                   £106.00

fuel                                                      £65.00 (5 hour awful drive down, drive back more civilised 4 hours)

Drinks  - dare not add that up!!  total without drinks £457.0

Good weekend, worst bit about it was the actual speedway!

2 Tickets...from a very kind Swindon fan who couldn't go..FREE..in the V.I.P. section..would have been £180!

Food and drink in stadium..£25

Programme..£10

Parking park n ride County Hall.£10

Fuel..£30..Swindon 160 mile round-trip..3.25 hours there..2.00 return.

75 quid..bargain!!!

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

Premier inn cardiff south £305 2 nights with breakfast for 2 people, petrol £92, from Kings Lynn, Taxi's £25, food about £60, drinks can,t remember :drink:tickets £130, enjoyed all that but didn,t enjoy the speedway unfortunately found it quite boring.

Is Dan still using Tai’s mechanic? Wonder if Tai is regretting that decision 

Having read all the last contributions...

We must all have it wrong...

It's all about the racing surely??:D

Young Dan Bewley won, a great kid, truly in that group of exciting GB riders that come along once in a generation, but it seems "its the racing what really counts"... 

"Dribble. Dribble. 100,000 more fans would watch next week in the UK if the racing was good at Cardiff. Blur. Blur. Dribble. Dribble. etc etc etc"....

Dan Bewley won...

Cardiff will never add many fans to UK Speedway, but it definitely wont take any away, regardless of the racing...

And once more...

Dan Bewley won..

Let's just celebrate that...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

If you are in to saving money, the University Accommodation is superb.

En-Suite single bed room £30 per night.

10 minutes walk from St Mary's Street, where most of the pubs are.

Couldn't believe the bar prices in the air conditioned pub  'The Borough'. 6 drinks for our party for only £15:00! Wow!

What website can you book that on please? 

14 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Having read all the last contributions...

We must all have it wrong...

It's all about the racing surely??:D

Young Dan Bewley won, a great kid, truly in that group of exciting GB riders that come along once in a generation, but it seems "its the racing what really counts"... 

"Dribble. Dribble. 100,000 more fans would watch next week in the UK if the racing was good at Cardiff. Blur. Blur. Dribble. Dribble. etc etc etc"....

Dan Bewley won...

Cardiff will never add many fans to UK Speedway, but it definitely wont take any away, regardless of the racing...

And once more...

Dan Bewley won..

Let's just celebrate that...

I’m sure all British speedway fans are doing just that. Not sure I fully understand everything you said before your last sentence mind. Nevertheless I am exceptionally happy to see a young Brit doing so well.

On 8/14/2022 at 4:55 PM, keepturningleft said:

Some of the comments on here are extraordinary.

Cardiff is not just about the racing and neither was Wembley which rarely produced racing to remember as other posters have highlighted. The occasions however were fantastic but Cardiff, a track smack in the middle of a vibrant modern European city, is even better. 

Cardiff has grown into an event on its own, quite separate from the domestic scene and for most people its a fantastic day out and its evolved into something quite special. Thats actually fairly obvious.

Stepping out of Belle Vue into the evening sunshine of Gorton just isn't going to be the same. There isn't even a pub that close. The status of the GP would be diminished although I agree it would be nice to have BV for a 2nd GP.

If you don't buy into the idea of Cardiff as an event, an occasion, then you are missing the point of Cardiff.

Although the crowd may have been down this year, it is still by far the biggest crowd pulling event in British speedway.

A second GP? Yes let the GP become a 22 round series with full time riders only participating in it and perhaps then British speedway will recover and return to the great standard it once was.

I'm sure the leagues would survive without the 16 top riders (well we almost do already)

I've not attended the Cardiff SGP for some years now. The town is over expensive & Hotels are able to make up phone number prices for the weekend. The racing has been poor most years but that can be said of many GP venues. But most disapointing is that Britain has not seen a World Champion crowned.

In more recent years I have been to Pardubice, Czech Republic for the weekend of the Golden Helmet. I have seen terrific U21 finals on the Friday night followed by an international U21 event on Saturday with 6 rider races OK the flat track I could miss then on the Sunday the Golden Helmet itself with all the glitz & glam you would expect at trooping the colour & if your still keen on the way home on the Monday The Tomicek Memorial meeting at Prague.

I go with a friend & we normally pay under £400 each for flights, Car Hire, Hotels & Tickets, With food & beer maybe £500.

If you've had enough of 2 nights in Cardiff & 16 riders in 23 races try 3 Nights in Pardubice 76 riders in 74 races plus the Flat Trackers. go for longer & spend less money.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

A second GP? Yes let the GP become a 22 round series with full time riders only participating in it and perhaps then British speedway will recover and return to the great standard it once was.

I'm sure the leagues would survive without the 16 top riders (well we almost do already)

Are you suggesting 11 host countries with 2 rounds each?. It’s proving impossible to find 11 countries able to host 1. Or are you suggesting Poland have 11 and the 5 other countries that consistently stage GP’s have 2 each?. 

4 minutes ago, Technik said:

I've not attended the Cardiff SGP for some years now. The town is over expensive & Hotels are able to make up phone number prices for the weekend. The racing has been poor most years but that can be said of many GP venues. But most disapointing is that Britain has not seen a World Champion crowned.

In more recent years I have been to Pardubice, Czech Republic for the weekend of the Golden Helmet. I have seen terrific U21 finals on the Friday night followed by an international U21 event on Saturday with 6 rider races OK the flat track I could miss then on the Sunday the Golden Helmet itself with all the glitz & glam you would expect at trooping the colour & if your still keen on the way home on the Monday The Tomicek Memorial meeting at Prague.

I go with a friend & we normally pay under £400 each for flights, Car Hire, Hotels & Tickets, With food & beer maybe £500.

If you've had enough of 2 nights in Cardiff & 16 riders in 23 races try 3 Nights in Pardubice 76 riders in 74 races plus the Flat Trackers. go for longer & spend less money.

I’d love to if it were remotely possible for me.

Cheapskates 

hotel £600 3 nights

rail fare £160 for two

stadium tickets £130 for 2

spent ££ on food and drink....

oh well Dan won !!!!

Look, let’s get to the important stuff, you know, the elephant in the room that nobody wants to admit is there, never mind talk about it. 
Namely: Why were the “free” union flags on back straight seats so  cr*p? 
Previous years they have been made of material & big enough to wave to provide colour etc . This year they were plastic and of a size not out of place on a beach sandcastle! Definitely not worth waving - Though Dan’s success deserved it!  

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Probably enjoyed it because you watched your speedway at Brough Park.!!

Hilarious

Hotels expensive 

Drinks could be expensive ( spoons ok )

Racing not that good, but been like that for years

Dan Bewley won my bet came up  at 15/1 so win win win.

Enjoyed the weekend it's more about meeting fans from near and far, done 3 nites in  Warsaw in May cheaper than 3 nites in Cardiff but the craic is not as good in Poland,  so will return to Cardiff snd try to do Poland as well