British Speedway Forum

Does anyone else get the feeling that this Cardiff 2022 thread will continue well into 2023?

Thing is, we have been given an answer - and I believe it to be a very reasonable answer - as to why last week's track was so poor, and that steps will be taken to ensure that it doesn't happen again. If that is indeed the case, we should have nothing to worry about, and everything will be fine.

Am I being too simplistic and optimistic?

15 minutes ago, chunky said:

Thing is, we have been given an answer - and I believe it to be a very reasonable answer - as to why last week's track was so poor, and that steps will be taken to ensure that it doesn't happen again. If that is indeed the case, we should have nothing to worry about, and everything will be fine.

Am I being too simplistic and optimistic?

Sadly I'd probably have to say yes. :D

To quote the ghost of GPs past (may he rest in peace)... 

One does wonder how many more lessons there are to be learned...?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well not really. The issue is GPs that have the expense of building temporary tracks. 

Since the SGP started, I count just 6 stadiums where temporary tracks were installed and there wasn't a roof. Berlin and Sydney were used once, and the Stockholm Olympic Stadium was used 3 times back in the early days.

The other stadiums were Gothenburg (9), Horsens (4) and Tampere (2) - none of which are still used. So a total of 20 GPs.

By my count, 7 roofed stadiums have been used - Cardiff (20), Warsaw (5), Stockholm Friends Arena (5), Copenhagen (12), Melbourne (3), Hamar (3) and Gelsenkirchen (2). So a total of 50 GPs.

Thanks for your reply. If You re-read my original post you will see I was not referring exclusively to GP’s. Not was I referring just to the GP era. I was commenting on World Championship events over the decades which were mostly staged in stadia without roofs. By your calculation 50 GP’s have been held in roofed stadia, leaving how many in un-roofed stadia?. I still think the case for having roofed stadia has not been made

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

Thanks for your reply. If You re-read my original post you will see I was not referring exclusively to GP’s. Not was I referring just to the GP era. I was commenting on World Championship events over the decades which were mostly staged in stadia without roofs. By your calculation 50 GP’s have been held in roofed stadia, leaving how many in un-roofed stadia?. I still think the case for having roofed stadia has not been made

If I were a promoter of a GP having to invest many thousands of my money to install a temporary track, there would be no way I'd do it if there were any chance of a cancellation due to the weather. That tells you why over 70% of GPs with temporary tracks have been staged in roofed stadia. 

Going back to the World Final days, probably far fewer television and sponsorship contracts riding on the event. But I actually only count 3 World Finals that were staged on a temporary track - Los Angeles, Amsterdam and Munich (possibly Malmo as well). Granted some Wembley Finals would have been staged on what was effectively a temporary track for some of the years, but there was some sort of existing circuit for much of the time. 

Amsterdam wasn't a temporary track, it was still in regular use since the late 1940's until 1987, and the 2-day World Final was the last ever speedway meeting held at the Olympisch Stadion.

• Like 1

Interestingly, the Cardiff attendance was probably no worse than many Wembley events during the mega golden periods of the 60's and the 70's which weren't world finals.

Check out, if you can, the superb wrap around photo on the current issue of Classic Speedway, showing a crowd around 25,000 for GB v Russia.

No need to panic about Cardiff attendances just yet.

1 minute ago, keepturningleft said:

No need to panic about Cardiff attendances just yet.

So, it's not just me who feels that everyone is over-reacting?

Will be nice when the Principality Stadium release the date when tickets for 2023 will be available.

8 hours ago, erniew said:

Will be nice when the Principality Stadium release the date when tickets for 2023 will be available.

They're already available?

Not in the online ticket office they're not.

On 8/15/2022 at 2:26 PM, Grachan said:

It's a while since I've been. Niels Kristian Iversen won it last time I went, whenever that was.

I actually splashed out this year, for the first time really. Home straight tickets and two rooms in a city centre hotel!

Felt like I'd been on holiday when I came back!

It's odd for me reading all the "never going again" comments, because, for me, it re-lit the speedway bug a bit. I'm already thinking about going again next year. 

Exactly the same for me. I've been to 7 or 8 Grand Prix, but hadnt attended a meeting since Lakeside closed in 2018. 

Had an absolutely brilliant time, including taking two novices who bought tickets as soon as they went on sale Monday. Going forward it's going to be our annual weekend. 

Completely rekindled my love for the sport and reminded me why I grew up watching it so passionately. Went into work on the Monday like a kid going into school, telling everyone who'd listen - and even those who weren't - how great speedway is and what a weekend it was. As I say, got tickets for next year and hoping to do Poland next year ,too. 

Wouldn't be the same at Belle Vue. 

• Like 1

Thanks, got in through stadium website, tickets booked and I must say, much easier and more efficient than this year.

13 minutes ago, erniew said:

Thanks, got in through stadium website, tickets booked and I must say, much easier and more efficient than this year.

It’s going to need to be, after this years spectacle they may need to beg people to go back 

I was unsure about 2023 but managed to get cheap accommodation sorted and with early bird tickets it's worked out really cheap again.