British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Deano

Old Maps - Speedway Track Spotting

3 minutes ago, Deano said:

I can’t find any trace at all on the old maps.

No. I even looked on a local history f Chiswick site and found nothing. I guess the park might make sense for the Chiswick cycle Speedway team. It is in Chiswick at least. But that doesn't rule out another cycle speedway track on the other side of the river.The one photo f the speedway team looks as if it was taken by Chiswick Bridge, but that might have been for publicity, rather than where the track was......

19 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Thanks for the video, fantastic win by Mort...... it might have set a track record but it was'nt at Belle Vue!   I still enjoyed it immensley.  Would love to see the video of BV track record if you can link it, please.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Thanks for the video, fantastic win by Mort...... it might have set a track record but it was'nt at Belle Vue!   I still enjoyed it immensley.  Would love to see the video of BV track record if you can link it, please.

Sorry wrong link - that video came on right after the BV one :oops:

HenryW has sorted it out though :t:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any chance Weymouth?

Managed to track down the old Hamburg Dirt track from 1929. Also the venue for one of the biggest boxing attendances in Europe. 80,000-100,000 estimated for Max Schmelling. Up in the top right 

2063d-Pharus-Historischer-Stadtplan-Hamburg-1930-Ausschnitt-Stellingen.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Any chance Weymouth?

Weymouth is earlier in the thread mate.

A tall order but the location of the Sandford-on-Thames (Grass)track would be great?

Just now, steve roberts said:

A tall order but the location of the Sandford-on-Thames (Grass)track would be great?

Do you have Google??? B)

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Do you have Google??? B)

Certainly do...can you guide me how one formulates the required maps?

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Certainly do...can you guide me how one formulates the required maps?

It can actually take a lot of work...

The first thing to do is Google the track, and you may find an  article that states exact location.

Then, you can either go to the maps website stated (some on here may know some shortcuts), and look from there, or (as I do first) check on Google Earth to see if I can find a pic.

The problem is that with tracks that were only short-lived, you have to find something from that era...

Regarding Sandford, this is what I have just found, and now I'm looking for maps and pics::

'Apparently the track was at he end of the village on the left of the old road to Nuneham Courtenay about at the end of the mobile home park."

Edited by chunky
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I don’t think grasstracks are mapped. Sandford on Thames is if you know it’s position in relation to the town.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.475634332977158&lat=51.71068&lon=-1.22909&layers=193&b=1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deano said:

I don’t think grasstracks are mapped. Sandford on Thames is if you know it’s position in relation to the town.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.475634332977158&lat=51.71068&lon=-1.22909&layers=193&b=1

This is from 1945. The quality isn't great - obviously - but judging by the information given, this would be about the location. You can see the outline of what could be a track...

sandford.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

This is from 1945. The quality isn't great - obviously - but judging by the information given, this would be about the location. You can see the outline of what could be a track...

sandford.jpg

That looks approximately where the “H” is of Thames ( the larger in capitals) on my link.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1