British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

27 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Many present day speedway people seem to have distorted ideas about the history of Birmingham Speedway. The "blame" for the 21 year delay in bringing speedway back to the City cannot be attributed to the City Council, but rather to the intransigence of the then owners of not just the Brummoies current home venue, but that of the owners or controllers of the various alternative venues within the City which were explored. The then owner of Perry Barr Stadium, Maurice Buckland, made no bones about his attitude - he wou;d not have speedway back at his stadium at any price - and until he sold out to the GRA in 2004, he never wavered from this stance.

Hall Green Stadium, also owned by the GRA until its demolition, were more accomodating, but casual enquiries convinced them that it would be impossible to secure planning permission due to the venue's close proximity to housing. Bordesley Green, not then owned by the Council although it was eventually taken over by the authority, also produced numerous excuses for rejecting approaches to restore speedway there, both on the original track and on a proposed new track on a different part of the site. In fact, the only involvement with the Council was an enquiry about the possibility of the speedway club using Salford Stadium, the City Council having had other offers which they felt were mpre appropriate.

True, there was an initial difficulty in securing a planning consent for Perry Barr and it was at first refused on the casting vote of the Chairman of the Planning Committee, but a second application was emphatically approved. 

As far as the Alexander Stadium being a potential Grand Prix venue is concerned, the stadium is primarily an athletics site and is the headquarters of Birchfield Harriers, but is wholly owned by Birmingham City Council and it has been widely reported that the Council are anxious to justify the vast amount of money which they have spent on developing it, by finding more commercial uses for it. I don't believe that Birmingham City Council is in any way "anti-speedway" and it is my opinion that were a serious offer made to use it for a Grand Prix, the Council would certainly consider it. 

As the organisation of the Grand Prix meetings is outside the remit of the Speedway Control Bureau and the BSPL, any approach would have to come from those who now promote this competition, but the stadium is there, it has the capacity, and if they want it, they could go for it.

Thank you Brian, I stand corrected. I was but a young girl when speedway was taken from perry barr in the mid 80's and was obviously not as involved as you and others to eventually bring it back almost at the start of my 4th decade of life. Something for which I am grateful and thank you for. Be good if they (the council and birchfield harriers) could be persuaded to have GP speedway (or any speedway)in 'the park', but I reckon it'll take until at least my 7th/8th decade of life to persuade them! Fingers and toes crossed in the meantime. 

The return of speedway to Birmingham was a tremendous achievement, with Brian Buck himself involved in no small way.  Thing is, some, not all, local authorities & stadia owners just don't want speedway no way, no how, and refuse to even entertain the idea despite the sport bringing more people and therefore more spending into an area. Sad fact....

Aston Villa Ladies are playing at the Alexander Stadium this season, so there's a few bob more for the BCC kitty. 

Interesting connection to OGT's post about Aston Villa Ladies plan to stage football matches at the Alexander Stadium.

Aston Villa's reserve team used to play their home matches at the stadium which is now the home of the Brummies, in the late 1930's - which of course is the original Alexander Stadium - given to the City in perpetuity by Lord Alexander in 1877, conditional on it always being a sports venue, (although I rather doubt that the good Lord was thinking of Speedway and Greyhound Racing when he made this stipulation!)

In the centre part of the rear of the main grandstand (which is the sole section of the ground which is listed) can still be seen the Leaping Deer emblem of Birchfield Harriers above the Harriers motto: "Fleet and Free."

Edited by brianbuck

2 hours ago, OGT said:

Aston Villa Ladies are playing at the Alexander Stadium this season, so there's a few bob more for the BCC kitty. 

The City Council deserve great credit as do the local Organising Committee for the way Commonwealth Games logistics have gone.

Wonderful weather helps but with the return to Labour Control some years ago after a Tory take over; things have certainly improved. Some of the Cities MP's are very Sport friendly, especially Shabhna Mahmood and the clever use of inner city locations (not just NIA / NEC) has been a great success.

We could and perhaps should have had a Community Stadium either at NEC or in Curzon Street Area had we been awarded Games a decade or so ago sadly the make up of the Council at the time wasn't as interested.

The Commonwealth and very influential Asian Nations are now 100% sure of what Birmingham can achieve and how vibrant it can be.

All that is needed now is the removal of the pointless Mayoral position that isn't needed and whose incumbent is a glory boy always seeking to piggy back on success and always blaming others for failure.

Where that may leave Speedway is a moot point, I'm convinced that Speedway and an Athletics track for one weekend is a far harder sell to the Stadium hierarchy than a football stadium where just a bit of turf has to be lifted.

I wonder whar dimension they could fit in the NEC Indoor Arena - now that would be exciting, possibly not SGP but for a weekend - they've had Indoor Super X and Trucks in there many times and in the bigger NEC Exhibition Halls where Speedway was staged in 1978 or 1979 on a rubber track with slick tyres...from memory a world class field won by Michael Lee..   

Villa Ladies are NOT playing games at the Alexander Stadium this season, the games are split between Walsall Bescot Stadium and Villa Park, don't know where this Villa ladies stadium thing as come from, not once as any one from Villa or the Alexander stadium said it would happen 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Villa Ladies are NOT playing games at the Alexander Stadium this season, the games are split between Walsall Bescot Stadium and Villa Park, don't know where this Villa ladies stadium thing as come from, not once as any one from Villa or the Alexander stadium said it would happen 

Spot on. 

I think the myth started as banter at the rumour that St Andrews as being demolished and land sold so Blues would move in to Alexander and David Sullivan was coming back to BCFC and would do what he did at WHU re Stadia.

The Villa ladies sort of came out of that as a reply as Perry Barr is a Villa area

All Myths. 

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Spot on. 

I think the myth started as banter at the rumour that St Andrews as being demolished and land sold so Blues would move in to Alexander and David Sullivan was coming back to BCFC and would do what he did at WHU re Stadia.

The Villa ladies sort of came out of that as a reply as Perry Barr is a Villa area

All Myths. 

Perry Barr may well be a AV area but being in the area didnt help Orient when they wanted the Stadium that Wet Spam now use, I could well see the Athletics Stadium being used by BCFC as their present home seems to be having some issues with H&S and as most of us know its no longer owned by the Football Club.

I am pretty sure that the rumour started when someone posted on a forum saying "a question may have been asked by someone from BCFC about the stadium being used for a few games whilst St Andrews was being repaired", but long term the project was a resounding no, BCFC decided that half a stadium was better than none so that was the rumour circulating, from what i gather once the games are finished the temporary stands will be removed and revert back to an 18,000 capacity stadium, it will host all major athletic events and will be in use for the schools in and around the community, I have spoken to a few people (including a local official today) who are associated with Birmingham City Council and as far as they are aware, it will not be used for football or any other sport, its main use will be as i say athletics. Its been a great Commonwealth games and the organisers should be well proud of the job done, the stadium i thought would not be very good when i saw the plans to rebuild, but they done a fantastic job and the stadium was brilliant

30 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Perry Barr may well be a AV area but being in the area didnt help Orient when they wanted the Stadium that Wet Spam now use, I could well see the Athletics Stadium being used by BCFC as their present home seems to be having some issues with H&S and as most of us know its no longer owned by the Football Club.

Will never happen, and even if it did i cant see the residents putting upwith the traffic problems constantly for 8-9 months of the year, this was an 11 day project and now the residents cant wait to return to normal

5 minutes ago, Gerbat1875 said:

I am pretty sure that the rumour started when someone posted on a forum saying "a question may have been asked by someone from BCFC about the stadium being used for a few games whilst St Andrews was being repaired", but long term the project was a resounding no, BCFC decided that half a stadium was better than none so that was the rumour circulating, from what i gather once the games are finished the temporary stands will be removed and revert back to an 18,000 capacity stadium, it will host all major athletic events and will be in use for the schools in and around the community, I have spoken to a few people (including a local official today) who are associated with Birmingham City Council and as far as they are aware, it will not be used for football or any other sport, its main use will be as i say athletics. Its been a great Commonwealth games and the organisers should be well proud of the job done, the stadium i thought would not be very good when i saw the plans to rebuild, but they done a fantastic job and the stadium was brilliant

The games seem to have been a great success the organisers deserve a bit of credit.They even got good attendances at the minor events,perhaps some better Marketing would benefit the Brummies.

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The games seem to have been a great success the organisers deserve a bit of credit.They even got good attendances at the minor events,perhaps some better Marketing would benefit the Brummies.

You do question how get sell outs for beach volleyball, diving, lawn bowls during these events but most clubs can scarcely scare up 1000 fans to speedway. Wondered the same when was in Glasgow, hunger to watch any sport is there just getting people in the door seems the issue

2 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

You do question how get sell outs for beach volleyball, diving, lawn bowls during these events but most clubs can scarcely scare up 1000 fans to speedway. Wondered the same when was in Glasgow, hunger to watch any sport is there just getting people in the door seems the issue

I think the bronzed, bikini-clad beauties over sweaty kevlar clad hairy men give you your answer my friend...!!! 

• Haha 1

Just now, The Dog said:

I think the bronzed, bikini-clad beauties over sweaty kevlar clad hairy men give you your answer my friend...!!! 

You were watching different lawn bawls to me then boss!!

• Haha 4