British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

I personally think rider control did work 95% of the time!

The current biggest problem in the U.K. is lack of riders per team places available. Maybe it's time to bring back second-half's & introduce 4 to 6 new riders per club to the sport with regular second-half rides. By next season you could have 30 riders in the U.K. ready for team spots. 

Also a couple of years of second-half's would "mix" things up a bit. 

What ? Where do you watch the sport ? All northern tracks run second halfs and have done for many years , not just the NJL matches either .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

I'm sure it's not feasible but it's just an idea to try and get people interested in the sport because offering free admission etc isn't getting newbies flooding in. And that's most tracks not just Birmingham. 

Then why suggest something that you know isn’t feasible?

If Redcars attendances have increased year on year since 2017 then they must be attracting new fans mustn’t they ? I dare say the same goes for Glasgow and Berwick.

5 hours ago, HGould said:

...the 6 PL Clubs can take 90% plus of the TV money...

Do you know how much that TV money is?  In fact, is there any TV money at all?  The last I heard, speedway in the UK is lucky to have any TV coverage at all, let alone get paid for it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

To reduce your reply to one sentence , you want to bring back rider control ?

Which didn’t work the last time it was tried.

But isn't having a points limit per team a form of 'rider control' already?

17 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

No, it’s ‘ Team ‘ strength control. 

But by Definition that is a form of rider control, a team cant sign every rider thay want..

Im not advocating that riders should be placed by a governing body to teams but with a 'Team strength control' of heat leaders would be a good move for the league in 2023.

Edited by M.D
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Depends on the measure of success..

Keeping tracks going by keeping them worth visiting is now the No1 priority for the sport I would suggest..

When Rider Control has been used in the past riders had a huge say in where they ended up, meaning it became the usual "halfway house/not quite fit for purpose" plan that sadly UK Speedway seem to implement....

I would be surprised nowadays if any rider had the same clout, given hardly any of them are "superstars" (even more so at Div 2 level)...

However, for me, just making two heat leaders allowed over "x' average, within an overall team figure, would suffice to share them around enough to at least give all teams a fighting chance of competing...

And this mechanic has been used in Div 1 before now hasnt it so hardly a controversial system to use..

The top league only has six teams in it, how long before the second tier have a number similar due to the "have nots" either going to the wall or dropping into tier 3..?

Given that is the natural occurrence if changes are not made then riders will naturally end up with less team places too, so surely for them it would be better to have a job in Div 2 than not...?

Justin Sedgmen in an interview in this weeks star, "But basically I dont think riders are doing themselves any favours riding for riding for such Sh*t money"

"I know clubs can only can only afford what they can pay and i dont want to see any clubs going broke"

"But unfortunately the sport is getting more expensive and we are doing less meetings"

"I was on the same money in 2009 for fuel money as what I was in 2020 for Sheffield and Glasgow"

Edited by topaz325

7 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Justin Sedgmen in an interview in this weeks star, "But basically I dont think riders are doing themselves any favours riding for riding for such Sh*t money"

"I know clubs can only can only afford what they can pay and i dont want to see any clubs going broke"

"But unfortunately the sport is getting more expensive and we are doing less meetings"

"I was on the same money in 2009 for fuel money as what I was in 2020 for Sheffield and Glasgow"

I would suggest if Justin was good enough to be a heat leader in Div 1 and Div 2, like so many other riders are, he may put up with the "sh*t money" given he would be getting two wages.... 

I am off to email my boss now asking her if she will let me work for just six months this year but pay me enough to live on for the full twelve.. 

Will keep everyone updated as to her answer... :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I would suggest if Justin was good enough to be a heat leader in Div 1 and Div 2, like so many other riders are, he may put up with the "sh*t money" given he would be getting two wages.... 

I am off to email my boss now asking her if she will let me work for just six months this year but pay me enough to live on for the full twelve.. 

Will keep everyone updated as to her answer... :D

She might just send you for a 6 month holiday in Australia.:P

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Then why suggest something that you know isn’t feasible?

If Redcars attendances have increased year on year since 2017 then they must be attracting new fans mustn’t they ? I dare say the same goes for Glasgow and Berwick.

Because we don't know its not feasible until someone tries it and proves its not. Like I said, it's just an idea. Someone might look at it and be able to adapt it and make it worthwhile 

4 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

No rider control in whatever form will be replaced by track control. The number will just keep reducing. Let's face it Birmingham and Newcastle will do well to survive for any serious length of time (bar a miracle) with poor teams 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jimsboy said:

Same but the new man said on speedway tavern in November it was going be more than 15 heats speedway. Going get kids in etc. Plus every new sponsor Brum get that 1000 mentioned would be reduced.

How many sponsors have they announced so far?

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Because we don't know its not feasible until someone tries it and proves its not. Like I said, it's just an idea. Someone might look at it and be able to adapt it and make it worthwhile 

Believe me it isn’t feasible and yes, it’s been tried. A PL match was once put in jeopardy because the track concerned had the air fence damaged by an accident and the paramedics were then taken away to deal with the injured , never mind the last minute track maintenance .

Have you ever watched a complete novice child try to ride four laps? Besides the painstaking time it can take, usually with an adult running along side to keep them ‘ steady ‘ how many kids are you going to get on track in an hour ? How many different size kits are you going to require? How many qualified ‘ trainers ‘ ? and so on and so on….

As someone who helps run a training school with hire bikes I do know a bit about what’s involved.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight
  • Like 3