British Speedway Forum
iainb

Leicester vs Birmingham 26/03/2022 KoC 1st Round 1st Leg

8 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Correct ,very strong Team then, Leicester just got lucky.

As good as Adam is, I don't think him being there last night would have changed the result much... It would have just been a 20 point deficit instead...

• Like 1

Ellis could only score 18 points but while it wouldn't have altered the result on the night it may have given the Brummies a chance in the second leg.  The second leg is now a dead rubber for which only the hardiest of fans will turn up to.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Col said:

Ellis could only score 18 points but while it wouldn't have altered the result on the night it may have given the Brummies a chance in the second leg.  The second leg is now a dead rubber for which only the hardiest of fans will turn up to.

I probably would have gone to the 2nd leg... so both Leicester and Birmingham have missed my money because of last night. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

They could but its hardly the same as some sort of competitive racing. Speedway flirt with being 'professional' by streaming etc and yet seem happy to miss this basic thing. 

Poland get it right with their sparring matches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Given that Birmingham riders had only done a few laps on press day since the end of last season, it was always going to be one-sided against a Leicester team that have been together for a couple of seasons and at home. 

I think one area where speedway can improve is by having a few friendly meetings if possible and maybe a couple of 5 minutes practice laps before a meeting. Be good for bike set up and for the riders to loosen up. I've never understood how riders are expected to get out of the van, get changed and race seriously without any sort of practice, especially after being off a bike for months. You wouldn't expect Moto GP riders to just turn up on race day and race nor would you expect Liverpool to do their press shots and then play Man City the day after. 

Based on the fact that we're told that it takes a couple of heats for the track to bed in, it makes complete sense that all the riders are offered the opportunity of practice laps pre meeting. You could even make it part of the pre match and it would likely improve the on track action.

Won't happen because it would give the away team a better chance of winning and as we all know the home team must win at all costs.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, enotian said:

Based on the fact that we're told that it takes a couple of heats for the track to bed in, it makes complete sense that all the riders are offered the opportunity of practice laps pre meeting. You could even make it part of the pre match and it would likely improve the on track action.

Won't happen because it would give the away team a better chance of winning and as we all know the home team must win at all costs.

Poole let riders have a few laps round after the parade, have done for years. I'm always surprised other teams don't, but when you put the reason why, I guess it isn't that surprising!

36 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Poole let riders have a few laps round after the parade, have done for years. I'm always surprised other teams don't, but when you put the reason why, I guess it isn't that surprising!

Berwick do the same a few practice laps ,starts etc after the parade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col said:

15 surely?

• Like 2

It's not all bad news for the Brum. Morris did really well, Ellis is coming in, Pearson will improve and Auty and Nielsen are better than that normally. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Col said:

I'm sorry but even if Adam was there, Leicester would have still been far too strong for Birmingham to stand a chance in the second leg, Adam missing made little difference. Being 20 or so points down after the first leg is basically a death sentence, has a deficit like that ever been overcome?

Leicester are one of, if not THE strongest team in the league and I don't see Birmingham making the playoffs, so the gulf in quality effected the result, not the fact Adam was missing, who admittedly is probably Birmingham's best rider.

Edited by Diamonds85

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

They could but its hardly the same as some sort of competitive racing. Speedway flirt with being 'professional' by streaming etc and yet seem happy to miss this basic thing. 

How many competitive races have Leicester had?

16 hours ago, ScottyJ said:

Well Birmingham were rubbish. Great to be back to the lions den but my god it was a no contest!! 

Birmingham and Newcastle will be lucky to finish the season

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, R87 said:

Birmingham and Newcastle will be lucky to finish the season

Doomed, we re all doomed. Its best not to bother getting out of bed, you only have to get back in again later.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

Amazingly coincidental how when a No1 is not available, it is an away match they miss...

Oh, I'm sure Vissing rode last night..........

• Like 1