British Speedway Forum
gmuncie

Monarchs vs Lions May 13th

On 5/14/2022 at 9:17 AM, Mr Blobby said:

Poor night overall, bottom end cost us tonight big time.

While you're quick to call out the bottom end, are you not concerned about the top end too?

Take Sam Masters. After an excellent heat 1 and an untroubled heat 6, he promptly won just one of his last four outings (a race he shouldn't even have been in). Following on from the previous home meeting, he's now won just 4 of his last 12 races at sunny Armadale. That is, quite frankly, not good enough and it puts extra pressure on those further down.

He's supposed to be the best rider in the league but, put him out against half decent opposition and he's continually found wanting. He even gave up in one race on Friday. Can't remember if it was 13 or 15 but he visibly stopped trying and piddled round in a safe second place. I don't pay to watch that. I want 100% effort at all times.

We're also not going to win (m)any meetings when our second heat leader only scores 7 from 4. At least Josh is entertaining though.

Moving on to the bottom five, their collective lack of track time isn't exactly helping their cause (Masters and Pickering don't have that problem). The make-up of the side also isn't right.

In hot and cold Castagna, we have a third heat leader who was a reserve last season. Hardly his fault if he's not up to it on a consistent basis.

The glue that is Kye Thomson continues to be the case. He's steadily doing a reasonable job again but also appears expected to pick up the slack from the low scoring number 3. A farcical situation.

Lasse Fredriksen is finding points difficult to come by in the top 5. Again, hardly a shock. Even the haywire Hungarian struggled first time round in 2010.

Jacob Hook has done his job. A third place in each and every heat two. There's consistency for you! His development will be interesting to watch as the season goes on.

And then there's Sarj. All I will say is I hope Friday was a one off.

6 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

While you're quick to call out the bottom end, are you not concerned about the top end too?

Take Sam Masters. After an excellent heat 1 and an untroubled heat 6, he promptly won just one of his last four outings (a race he shouldn't even have been in). Following on from the previous home meeting, he's now won just 4 of his last 12 races at sunny Armadale. That is, quite frankly, not good enough and it puts extra pressure on those further down.

He's supposed to be the best rider in the league but, put him out against half decent opposition and he's continually found wanting. He even gave up in one race on Friday. Can't remember if it was 13 or 15 but he visibly stopped trying and piddled round in a safe second place. I don't pay to watch that. I want 100% effort at all times.

We're also not going to win (m)any meetings when our second heat leader only scores 7 from 4. At least Josh is entertaining though.

Moving on to the bottom five, their collective lack of track time isn't exactly helping their cause (Masters and Pickering don't have that problem). The make-up of the side also isn't right.

In hot and cold Castagna, we have a third heat leader who was a reserve last season. Hardly his fault if he's not up to it on a consistent basis.

The glue that is Kye Thomson continues to be the case. He's steadily doing a reasonable job again but also appears expected to pick up the slack from the low scoring number 3. A farcical situation.

Lasse Fredriksen is finding points difficult to come by in the top 5. Again, hardly a shock. Even the haywire Hungarian struggled first time round in 2010.

Jacob Hook has done his job. A third place in each and every heat two. There's consistency for you! His development will be interesting to watch as the season goes on.

And then there's Sarj. All I will say is I hope Friday was a one off.

I know they’ve not been happy with track prep all season. It’s apparently been completely different each week so far. Which isn’t any good to anyone. 

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

I know they’ve not been happy with track prep all season. It’s apparently been completely different each week so far. Which isn’t any good to anyone. 

That’s all the riders seem to blame these days.Can’t they work it out after 1 race,and get on with it.After all the opposition have too.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

That’s all the riders seem to blame these days.Can’t they work it out after 1 race,and get on with it.After all the opposition have too.

And as Max Fricke said when interviewed on Saturday - the track was changing all night so he had to be able to read the change. 

Sounds like maybe other riders can't do that. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TheScotsman said:

And as Max Fricke said when interviewed on Saturday - the track was changing all night so he had to be able to read the change. 

Sounds like maybe other riders can't do that. 

In a nutshell if you have a changeable track you would like too think they would have the know how to do likewise with set up.

if it’s not working don’t persist with it . anyway a week off from Speedway.

Seville bound for a minor football match this week then im on to Tenerife on Friday.

You heading over yourself ?.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Gazc said:

In a nutshell if you have a changeable track you would like too think they would have the know how to do likewise with set up.

if it’s not working don’t persist with it . anyway a week off from Speedway.

Seville bound for a minor football match this week then im on to Tenerife on Friday.

You heading over yourself ?.

Even though I am not a Rangers fan I hope the win the trophy.

• Like 3

It'd absolutely right that riders need to adapt as required but at the same time I think they are entitled to expect their home track to be very similar each week unless there has been lots of rain. The best teams who hammer others at home frequently generally have settled conditions which don't change from week to week and their riders know exactly want to expect. 

6 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

It'd absolutely right that riders need to adapt as required but at the same time I think they are entitled to expect their home track to be very similar each week unless there has been lots of rain. The best teams who hammer others at home frequently generally have settled conditions which don't change from week to week and their riders know exactly want to expect. 

Think the main problem is trying to please certain riders in that respect,always has been in the sport.No way 7 riders will agree on track prep.

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think the main problem is trying to please certain riders in that respect,always has been in the sport.No way 7 riders will agree on track prep.

We always had that criticism leveled at us from certain quarters . Was said that the track was only prepared to suit Shane Parker   whether there was any truth in that is open to conjecture 

34 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Exactly! The home team have to be given as much home track advantage as possible. As by the time they got the set up right, half the meeting might have been and gone. 

• Like 1