British Speedway Forum
justathought

Newcastle v Leicester 12th June 2022

2 hours ago, Shadders said:

Was thinking the same. Complin only rides the outside line, wrong track for him. 
Wells was naive for a rider of his experience. Waved Howarth through 

I dont think its working out for complin, yes he tries. But this outside thing leaves massive open gaps

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Well I'm unsure of the process and there is always the issue of Poland on Sunday but surely riders like Keynan Rew, Michael Haertel, Nico Covatti, Matthew Gilmore, Brandon McGuiness are worth trying even if Covatti has said no, make him an offer he cant say no to 

Coty Garcia recently rode in a GP qualifier. Could do a job at reserve. Is Kus still retired? 

Edited by Bellers101

15 minutes ago, HectorRacing said:

I dont think its working out for complin, yes he tries. But this outside thing leaves massive open gaps

Notice in his last race he started using the inside after he’d been passed. 

Well that was embarrassing!!   
Been going 39 years and can’t remember ever seeing us lose by over 60 points at home until the Poole result last season, but now it’s twice in 2 weeks.

Maybe they need someone to advise them because anyone who thought bringing in poor Jack Smith in was a good idea is so bad it’s ridiculous.

Yes we needed riders but if could not find a rider in this country, we had to try unknown Dane, swede or whoever to at least get wrighty back to reserve which makes us stronger all round.

I totally agree about we need to find new track, Rob wanted that at the start but apparently now doesn’t, so we carry on at brough where no rider wants to ride apparently and are stuck to the same race night.

Onto the Poole match we go….

All you want to see is a bit of fight and that was a disgrace tonight!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Well that was embarrassing!!   
Been going 39 years and can’t remember ever seeing us lose by over 60 points at home until the Poole result last season, but now it’s twice in 2 weeks.

Maybe they need someone to advise them because anyone who thought bringing in poor Jack Smith in was a good idea is so bad it’s ridiculous.

Yes we needed riders but if could not find a rider in this country, we had to try unknown Dane, swede or whoever to at least get wrighty back to reserve which makes us stronger all round.

I totally agree about we need to find new track, Rob wanted that at the start but apparently now doesn’t, so we carry on at brough where no rider wants to ride apparently and are stuck to the same race night.

Onto the Poole match we go….

All you want to see is a bit of fight and that was a disgrace tonight!

I don't think it's a case of he doesn't, it's a case of they can't find anywhere.

Was just watching on BSN and 4 of the riders giving up at first bend, even when leading.

Had to switch it off after 9 heats as embarrassing to watch, such inept display by riders getting paid to supposedly entertain the paying crowd.

Do the guests get paid for points or just appearance fee, maybe that explains lack of interest from both of them?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StevePark said:

I don't think it's a case of he doesn't, it's a case of they can't find anywhere.

There were places mentioned and ideas at the talk in when thought we were closing but Rob didn’t want to move from brough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StevePark said:

He publicly stated he doesn't having previously said that was his plan. Of course he probably had to say that.

But you're correct regardless. If you can find some council owned land it's probably earmarked for housing.  If it isn't it'll be next to housing. Even if you did find a plot which is otherwise unused you'd need to persuade the local authority that having a speedway team will benefit the local economy.  Good luck with that on the basis it attracts a handful of visiting supporters for about 15 weekends of the year. Alternatively you find a private plot of land and agree terms with the owner presuming they can't sell if for housing. Then you have to invest heavily in building the track and facilities. 

Interesting to see how the people behind the new Workington track have achieved what they have but I'm guessing the land owner has an interest in the sport?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marko said:

I am please however to see Jason Edwards going so well, had Arena Essex not gone, I am sure he would be riding for us still.

Line of succession. Eastbourne 

I can't see the Diamonds lasting the season at this rate. 

As for a new site - with little or zero help from the local council you are fighting an uphill battle. Noise pollution etc etc - You need deep , pockets to offer a sports complex 5g football pitch on infield. Community area or gym.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hackett said:

I can't see the Diamonds lasting the season at this rate. 

As for a new site - with little or zero help from the local council you are fighting an uphill battle. Noise pollution etc etc - You need deep , pockets to offer a sports complex 5g football pitch on infield. Community area or gym.  

Wonder how deep Robs pockets are tho

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Sorry to disagree Steve but there were three viable sites and one deffinite front runner at Seaton Burn and with support from the Local Authouity however ya man objected to one of the people who was prepared to put money in and his huberous got the better of him (and just for Mala... Huberous means arrogance and excessive pride) 

Pride comes before a fall and he was offered all the help and support he could have wanted but Billy Big Balls wanted to do it all himself... so now he's reaping the rewards...

Two humpings in following weekends how embarrassing is that and Leicester put Edwards in at the end to give them a chance otherwise it would have been 26 - 64.

Furthermore riders don't want to come to Newcastle because they talk to each other and there is an impression that they don't get paid on time and also that the club isn't on a firm footing and is continually on the brink of collapse with the ramifications of that being they "don't get paid" if the clud goes pop and I know that's not ya man's fault "per se" but he ain't doing anything much to change perceptions... 

Oh and come back George Congreve son because regardless of what you were told it's definitely not your fault bonny lad...

All very sad...

Regards 

THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Afraid speedway is a dying to virtually dead sport. I started going in the early 80's and there were about 35 tracks in the UK then and maybe 250+ riders competing in the UK at all levels. Now we are down to what, 17 tracks in the top 2 divisions and only 6 in the top division which is desperate really. Ok there were the heady days but in the all the years since I can't remember any period where there was such a dearth of riders competing. Back in the those days there was no doubling up either. These days when you watch a match you almost feel it's like a random selection of riders v another random selection of riders. We don't even see the volume of overseas riders coming over like they used to. Even going back say 10 years the decline is alarming.

I have no idea how you solve that problem. Maybe training tracks and development programmes is the way but that should have happened years ago as it obviously takes time for anything like that to bear fruition. The bottom line is it's a very dangerous sport and there is no money in it unless you get to the very top. Perhaps that wasn't the case back then; youngsters have so much choice now.

Newcastle's current plight is a result of this problem. It's easy to criticise Rob and the promotion but they are obviously desperate for new riders but even with such a small number of teams there are so few if any available. 

Honestly fear the worst for the sport. Wouldn't surprise me if in 5 years time we are down to 10 teams or less.

• Like 2

I don’t know what goes on in the pits but I couldn’t understand why they gave James Wright a tac sub ride in heat 11 therefore depriving Max Clegg of his R/R ride when they easily could of put Wright out in heat 14 as a T/S … Wouldn’t of made any difference unless Max refused a R/R !!!