British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

The NSSA (Newcastle Speedway Supporters Assc), are looking to maybe run some coach trips to Redcar for Diamonds fans. Anyone with any idea of coach prices would be helpful and, also anyone not involved with NSSA that would like to be involved can email Lynn at

nssa07@hotmail.com

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

The NSSA (Newcastle Speedway Supporters Assc), are looking to maybe run some coach trips to Redcar for Diamonds fans. Anyone with any idea of coach prices would be helpful and, also anyone not involved with NSSA that would like to be involved can email Lynn at

nssa07@hotmail.com

Why not ask some local coach firms.

On 7/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, Biffa said:

It’s surprising where the crowds do come back from though. Middlesbrough/Redcar had 10 years missing and the crowds came back, went again, came back again etc. Fans will still be there if the product is right. Oxford another one, 15 years? And seem to be doing ok. Workington will probably be the next northern barometer to go by. 

Re Workington comeback in 1999 the crowds flocked back when speedway returned , with attendances of around 2000 , then dropped alarmingly to less than 500  I think when it closed in 2018.

12 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Re Workington comeback in 1999 the crowds flocked back when speedway returned , with attendances of around 2000 , then dropped alarmingly to less than 500  I think when it closed in 2018.

When keith denham took over first crowd was 2500 buy the time he sold to laura he had lost 2000 !

7 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Yeah very poor crowds before the closure...I recall meeting the Comets announcer after one meeting and queried the attendance - he said it was 387......my worries of the future certainly  leapt into panic mode. So speedway is a sort of 'novelty' sport, when those less dedicated fans disappear it's deffo doom and gloom for the diehards.

I also recall the late great Ian Thomas claiming "the honeymoon is not over at Derwent Park" , that was approx 2006 and crowds were around 1200 then.

Mind for the 2018 end of season play offs the crowds were very good - but the damage was already done of course.

Hopefully the Northside 'experience will again prove attractive to the locals.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

When keith denham took over first crowd was 2500 buy the time he sold to laura he had lost 2000 !

But those on ladders were still there on bend 3.

• Like 1

When Newcastle Speedway was closed in 1985, Dave Younghusband ran some open meetings

at Workington, I took my car over with one or two people to see how things were progressing.

Unfortunately the attendance never rose to more than 250, I know because from the back straight

I counted them and shouted the figure over to Dave on the centre green.

It was obvious that unless Workington had a League Team to support not enough people were

willing to go for Open Meetings.

7 hours ago, Skodaman said:

Why not ask some local coach firms.

Can't beat the prices I had set for the season but unfortunately when I advertised on the forum for fans who haven't got FB etc I was informed that the NSSC didn't want to advertise this way & I was asked to take my post down which I did so that was gone along with my prices ( the help was there!! But now it's gone ) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Can't beat the prices I had set for the season but unfortunately when I advertised on the forum for fans who haven't got FB etc I was informed that the NSSC didn't want to advertise this way & I was asked to take my post down which I did so that was gone along with my prices ( the help was there!! But now it's gone ) 

It's the NSSA now, maybe some of the same folk but ran by different people?

17 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

It's the NSSA now, maybe some of the same folk but ran by different people?

Totally different people who now run it 

Taken from Facebook.

Newcastle Speedway has now been officially asked by the stadium to remove all speedway related items as soon as possible, which we will be adhering to.
This is a timely reminder to any individual or consortium who may have aspirations to breathing new life into the Diamonds and keeping the club going to please consider your position without delay and contact the relevant people as soon as possible as were are in a critical section of Newcastle Speedway's long history.
If there is a genuine lifeline it needs to be activated.

24 minutes ago, screm said:

Taken from Facebook.

Newcastle Speedway has now been officially asked by the stadium to remove all speedway related items as soon as possible, which we will be adhering to.
This is a timely reminder to any individual or consortium who may have aspirations to breathing new life into the Diamonds and keeping the club going to please consider your position without delay and contact the relevant people as soon as possible as were are in a critical section of Newcastle Speedway's long history.
If there is a genuine lifeline it needs to be activated.

How dare you post this!

That is Steve Parks job, although he will claim he wasn’t in the know. :rofl:

56 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

How dare you post this!

He knows a lot more than he let's on .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, highside said:

He knows a lot more than he let's on .

Wise man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diamondboy said:

How dare you post this!

Of course he will deny not being in the know. 

He always seems to know something though!!!!!