British Speedway Forum
Roger Jacobs

Wolverhampton v Ipswich 04 July

8 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

3 good points,,,, but surely should have been 4 when a reserve scores 16

Carbon copy of the meeting earlier in the season, SHOULD have been a 4 pointer in both meetings but both times we got 5 one’d in heat 15! Frustrating. 

But, it’s another win on the road and you’d have to say that should really cement our play off place. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

R/R the match winner for Ipswich would’ve been lucky if starke scored 2 points.

If my Auntie had b0llocks and all that. Starke scored 7 with two heat wins in our win there earlier in the season, same as what R/R got tonight

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Time there was a rule change intoduced regarding riders withdrawing from matches injured then appearing  24 hrs later.

Tom Brennan withdrew from Newcastle v Glasgow then rode for Belle Vue the next evening and now Sam Masters has done the same after pulling out of the Scunthorpe v Edinburgh fixture yesterday. Surely if a rider withdraws injured he must "rest" for so many matches. Yes I know its their income but (Championship) fans are being short changed here.

The riders have been doing as they please for years.It’s just a regular job ,ride as many times a week as possible.Probably have to look at their body colour to remind them who they are riding for on the night.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The riders have been doing as they please for years.It’s just a regular job ,ride as many times a week as possible.Probably have to look at their body colour to remind them who they are riding for on the night.

Its another in a long list of reasons why the sport isnt taken seriously anymore and why the crowds are so embarrassingly low. 

The new generation of riders just don't give a toss about the fans , simple as that.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Time there was a rule change intoduced regarding riders withdrawing from matches injured then appearing  24 hrs later.

Tom Brennan withdrew from Newcastle v Glasgow then rode for Belle Vue the next evening and now Sam Masters has done the same after pulling out of the Scunthorpe v Edinburgh fixture yesterday. Surely if a rider withdraws injured he must "rest" for so many matches. Yes I know its their income but (Championship) fans are being short changed here.

Happens in every job .. What about the person who goes home ill or rings in sick saying they don’t feel well and returns the next day .. Speedway riders are no different .. I was there for Tom Brennans crash and he genuinely took a “bad one” …If he feels ok the next day what is there to stop him returning to work like any other employee?

• Like 1

Beggar Me!  Another win at Wolverhampton!

Even with Doyle and Riss scoring a large number of points, the others all chipped-in - even Batchelor with a vital heat win.

Can't complain about that result.

1 minute ago, KEITH M said:

Happens in every job .. What about the person who goes home ill or rings in sick saying they don’t feel well and returns the next day .. Speedway riders are no different .. I was there for Tom Brennans crash and he genuinely took a “bad one” …If he feels ok the next day what is there to stop him returning to work like any other employee?

Yes but most people it is the same company! Whereas with this it can seem that Tom puts BV first and Sam Wolves. Not saying that is their thought process, but you can see why fans would think that! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes, not sure I'd be overly impressed if I was an Edinburgh fan! But two riders who I wouldn't expect to do that. Tbf with Tom Brennan the track at Newcastle wasn't good that day so may have come into it. Which is fair enough. With the Sam one not sure, can't believe 24 hrs would be that different if foot is still swollen as I am sure I read somewhere. 

Reliably informed that the Edinburgh team manager saw Sam's foot injury before the meeting @ Scunny,  & it was badly swollen.

Sam is very loyal to Edinburgh and found it too painful to continue during his second ride.

Despite the comments by the would be "medical experts" on here, it's not unknown for the recovery process to improve sufficiently 48 hours after the injury occurred in Poland,  to be able to resume racing.

It also should be noted that r/r would have been the only option otherwise for Wolves tonight. 

Edited by cyclone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes, not sure I'd be overly impressed if I was an Edinburgh fan! But two riders who I wouldn't expect to do that. Tbf with Tom Brennan the track at Newcastle wasn't good that day so may have come into it. Which is fair enough. With the Sam one not sure, can't believe 24 hrs would be that different if foot is still swollen as I am sure I read somewhere. 

No, no problems with Sam. He is a legend up here and much loved. I’m sure ice and Ibuprofen  did the job. He has not hidden his distaste for Scunny. 
Glad to see he will be back on form with Josh for Friday when your mob come to Armadale. Should be some fine tussles with him and the good twin!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cyclone said:

Reliably informed that the Edinburgh team manager saw Sam's foot injury before the meeting @ Scunny,  & it was badly swollen.

Sam is very loyal to Edinburgh and found it too painful to continue during his second ride.

Despite the comments by the would be "medical experts" on here, it's not unknown for the recovery process to improve sufficiently 48 hours after the injury occurred in Poland,  to be able to resume racing.

It also should be noted that r/r would have been the only option otherwise for Wolves tonight. 

I'm glad that your medical expert knowledge meant that 48 hours could do the trick.  Note: it was stated earlier (by Wolves) that Masters' foot was still so badly swollen that it couldn't be X-Rayed.

Masters clearly took a risk (at least to himself) to decide to race - whether out of loyalty, or being pressured (because of the lack of guest option), or sheer stupidity is up to anyone who is interested to make up their mind.

To be perfectly honest - how many people actually care?!  A very small percentage of the very small number who follow the sport.

Edited by Roger Jacobs
Typos.

9 minutes ago, Fenway Bleachers said:

No, no problems with Sam. He is a legend up here and much loved. I’m sure ice and Ibuprofen  did the job. He has not hidden his distaste for Scunny. 
Glad to see he will be back on form with Josh for Friday when your mob come to Armadale. Should be some fine tussles with him and the good twin!

If he wants to sit Friday out and rest his ankle, I definitely don't have a problem with it! ;)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Roger Jacobs said:

I'm glad that your medical expert knowledge meant that 48 hours cold do the trick.  Note: it was stated earlier (by Wolves) that Masters' foot was still so badly swollen that it couldn't be x-rayed.

Masters clearly took a risk (at least to himself) to decide to race - whether out of loyalty, or being pressured (because of the lack of guest option), or sheer stupidity is up to anyone who is interested to make up their mind.

To be perfectly honest - how many people actually care?!  A very small percentage of the very small number who follow the sport.

Maybe cos Wolves would have had to do r/r anyway, so if Sam struggled with his injury and had to pull out then would have reverted back to IRR. So wouldn't have really lost out. 

Bit like Peterborough ended up doing with MPT. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Maybe cos Wolves would have had to do r/r anyway, so if Sam struggled with his injury and had to pull out then would have reverted back to IRR. So wouldn't have really lost out. 

Bit like Peterborough ended up doing with MPT. 

The mind boggles 

• Like 1

Douglas form has dipped as has Wolves league campaign.