British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole and return leg. 27-29/7/22. Jubilee League

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

I thought testimonials had to be in March or October? When Stuart Robson's was cancelled at Redcar, they had to put it on in October!

50 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Rickardsson had a farewell meeting at Poole in August.

I was thinking more recently. I thought testimonials had to be at the beginning or end of the season, so fixtures don't get held up etc.

7 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I was thinking more recently. I thought testimonials had to be at the beginning or end of the season, so fixtures don't get held up etc.

We don't have any fixtures that need rearranging atm (well we would if was up to Birmingham!) so I don't see the problem!

5 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

It's what the fans voted and wanted. Poole kept the meeting on because of hotel bookings and so on and they only found out Birmingham's team yesterday afternoon?

Not true on team front as both promotions were trying their hardest to get a team together for Birmingham thursday night.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, sugarray said:

Not true on team front as both promotions were trying their hardest to get a team together for Birmingham thursday night.

What Dan Rose (Bournemouth Echo) put on twitter. So don't shoot the messenger!

The Brummies have just one of their own riders set to compete. Just spoke to Danny Ford, who addressed why the meeting wasn’t cancelled… (1/3)

“We only got the line-up yesterday afternoon from Birmingham. To put it simply, it wasn’t fair to those people who want to come down for holidays and see speedway.

“People have gone through expense booking hotels and stuff. While we appreciate it is two very different teams, hopefully we see some good speedway.”

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

It's what the fans voted and wanted. Poole kept the meeting on because of hotel bookings and so on and they only found out Birmingham's team yesterday afternoon?

Bet plenty booked a hotel to watch this ! The match was pointless before the teams were announced!

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

The Brummies have just one of their own riders set to compete. Just spoke to Danny Ford, who addressed why the meeting wasn’t cancelled… (1/3)

“We only got the line-up yesterday afternoon from Birmingham. To put it simply, it wasn’t fair to those people who want to come down for holidays and see speedway.

“People have gone through expense booking hotels and stuff. While we appreciate it is two very different teams, hopefully we see some good speedway.”

Translation....

We are likely to get a bumper crowd many of whom are just here for the week so don't give one about what teams are put out

We'd rather take the cash than have any concern for the integrity of the sport 

(Unspoken but in mind - if we could’ve sold up we would've  plus the stadium may not be here in a couple of years anyway so why worry about the future reputation of the sport)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Translation....

We are likely to get a bumper crowd many of whom are just here for the week so don't give one about what teams are put out

We'd rather take the cash than have any concern for the integrity of the sport 

(Unspoken but in mind - if we could’ve sold up we would've  plus the stadium may not be here in a couple of years anyway so why worry about the future reputation of the sport)

In all fairness, you can't blame Poole for wanting to cash in on the tourists and who's only concern is to see some entertainment which they have done. The casual visitor/tourist/fan probably doesn't care less if they see guests or not as long as they see 4 riders come to the tapes. 

For the avid speedway fan, the guest system is a pain and will always be ridiculed but is a necessary evil. Maybe the only way speedway can survive now is to just have a good entertaining meeting and not get to anal about who belongs to who, a bit like what the IOW do 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

In all fairness, you can't blame Poole for wanting to cash in on the tourists and who's only concern is to see some entertainment which they have done. The casual visitor/tourist/fan probably doesn't care less if they see guests or not as long as they see 4 riders come to the tapes. 

For the avid speedway fan, the guest system is a pain and will always be ridiculed but is a necessary evil. Maybe the only way speedway can survive now is to just have a good entertaining meeting and not get to anal about who belongs to who, a bit like what the IOW do 

Don't disagree with that in principle 

And for balance even if you give Birmingham a month they are unlikely to be returning with a full team another requiring multiple guests and R/R

With that in mind it's not a terrible decision for the short term 

The other part I would bring in from a wider angle is that it shouldn't even be Poole's decision to make. There should be a standard/regulation set for circumstances such as this which is then independently enforced

• Like 4

With respect to Mr Ford, his comment that he "only received Birmingham's team on Thursday pm,"  should be construed as the final team. He would have earlier received details of the anticipated team in line with the regulations, but which would have included the two riders who were injured in last Wednesday's meeting, Morris and Nielsen, and who were not certain of being fit enough to ride last night. 

Perhaps those who so gleefully predicted that "Birmingham would "struggle to reach 20" might feel a little more gracious this morning - although I rather doubt it!

The reality was that despite all of the problems, Birmingham played a major role in providing the crowd with an entertaining meeting which included plenty of good cut and thrust racing which regardless of the final scoreline (distorted to a degree by Poole's three successive 5-1's from the last three races,) is what the punters wanted to watch.

Those who so blandly listed the riders whom THEY would have used as Birmingham's guests, could have no idea of the complexity involved in booking guest riders - especially by promotions so down on their luck as Birmingham have been this season and who are frequently confronted by potential guests who either demand excessive payment for their services or don't particularly fancy the prospect of getting a low score against the strongest team in the Championship, so all credit to the riders who were prepared to accept the bookings offered to them at short notice - especially to those who must have known full well that they had little chance of making an impact in such a tough meeting.

Finally, I should say that I have no issue with Poole not wanting to call off the match. To have done so at such short notice would obviously have been highly damaging to their business. Poole thoroughly deserved their win and I wish them and their supporters well for the remainder of the season.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

With respect to Mr Ford, his comment that he "only received Birmingham's team on Thursday pm,"  should be construed as the final team. He would have earlier received details of the anticipated team in line with the regulations, but which would have included the two riders who were injured in last Wednesday's meeting, Morris and Nielsen, and who were not certain of being fit enough to ride last night. 

Perhaps those who so gleefully predicted that "Birmingham would "struggle to reach 20" might feel a little more gracious this morning - although I rather doubt it!

The reality was that despite all of the problems, Birmingham played a major role in providing the crowd with an entertaining meeting which included plenty of good cut and thrust racing which regardless of the final scoreline (distorted to a degree by Poole's three successive 5-1's from the last three races,) is what the punters wanted to watch.

Those who so blandly listed the riders whom THEY would have used as Birmingham's guests, could have no idea of the complexity involved in booking guest riders - especially by promotions so down on their luck as Birmingham have been this season and who are frequently confronted by potential guests who either demand excessive payment for their services or don't particularly fancy the prospect of getting a low score against the strongest team in the Championship, so all credit to the riders who were prepared to accept the bookings offered to them at short notice - especially to those who must have known full well that they had little chance of making an impact in such a tough meeting.

Finally, I should say that I have no issue with Poole not wanting to call off the match. To have done so at such short notice would obviously have been highly damaging to their business. Poole thoroughly deserved their win and I wish them and their supporters well for the remainder of the season.

It was a thoroughly entertaining meeting and Birmingham played their part.

You have to feel for them.

I know of 3 first timers last night and they loved it probably thanks mainly to Lee Complin who was joint rider of the night from the referee

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

We don't have any fixtures that need rearranging atm (well we would if was up to Birmingham!) so I don't see the problem!

really???  where do you get your information from?? Birmingham worked tirelessly to get riders to fill in for INJURED riders etc ... and those who rode for the Brummies gave it a great go and gave the fans some good racing to watch

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

and they saw some good speedway from a makeshift team that was unavoidable ... as for the line-up being Thursday afternoon --the original line-up was sent on time but Birmingham lost 2 riders with  injury on Wednesday night and spent hours finding late guests which they did --- how could they have given a revised line-up any earlier ??? Taking into account other fixtures that night, riders out injured, Speedway of Nations taking some away , time off work at short notice all credit to the lads who stepped forward to ride --and give Poole a tough battle.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Speedway fan said:

really???  where do you get your information from?? Birmingham worked tirelessly to get riders to fill in for INJURED riders etc ... and those who rode for the Brummies gave it a great go and gave the fans some good racing to watch

Read the Birmingham preview and seemed to me like they wanted it off. It being up to the Poole management to decide and about Poole prob wanting a stronger opposition. Also there were some fan comments on speedway updates meeting thread about Brum wanted it off and Poole wanted it on??

Not denying they worked hard with guests considering a lot of riders who they asked and turned Birmingham down wanted a lot of money apparently.

So that was a great night's speedway, made better by the efforts of Birmingham's Sedgeman, Starke, Complin and to a lesser extent Morley.  Complin picking up where he left off when Newcastle were the visitors - excellent value from him, on the pace and around the boards - brilliant.

The whole 'Brummies' team as a whole and individually were applauded by the good-size crowd and made a very good fist of a meeting - particularly in the early heats before Poole really got into their stride.

Of the many photos taken by various photographers last night, one of the more intriguing shots was one of Plymouth Team Manager (and regular Poole visitor) Garry May chatting deeply with Kyle Newman!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Read the Birmingham preview and seemed to me like they wanted it off. It being up to the Poole management to decide and about Poole prob wanting a stronger opposition. Also there were some fan comments on speedway updates meeting thread about Brum wanted it off and Poole wanted it on??

Not denying they worked hard with guests considering a lot of riders who they asked and turned Birmingham down wanted a lot of money apparently.

just read it and I don't think it reads that way. Just stating the facts that any cancellation would be up to Poole and that Poole would have preferred a full strength Brummies side --which they would too . In the end the team that represented them was under strength but never gave up and did the club proud producing some exciting racing and a total walkover some expected , 

• Like 2