British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Oxford vs Plymouth 27/07/22

2 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Only himself to blame. Zero sympathy should be given. Any rider who fails a drug test should be banned indefinitely. They are putting not only themselves but others in significant danger. Sadly and I do mean sadly, as Ben is a real talent on a speedway bike, I can't help feeling this was only a matter of time. 

Innocent until proven guilty.  A "non-negative" result on the night, which has to be tested in an official laboratory.

18 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

I suggest people May want to go onto Plymouth’s Facebook page and read the clubs statement on Ben barker last night they may then have a different view

Which has fundamental mistakes in it.  They say the drugs being taken "contain elements of Morphine", which is not the case.  The drugs Zapain (which they misspell with an 'e' on the end) and Co-codomol which will, in fact, make the body produce the morphine and do not contain Morphine.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Which has fundamental mistakes in it.  They say the drugs being taken "contain elements of Morphine", which is not the case.  The drugs Zapain (which they misspell with an 'e' on the end) and Co-codomol which will, in fact, make the body produce the morphine and do not contain Morphine.

I remember being given Codeine and Morphine as a kid when I broke my collarbone. 

If it produces morphine doesn't that mean the body has morphine in it so will show on a test? 

9 minutes ago, HGould said:

I remember being given Codeine and Morphine as a kid when I broke my collarbone. 

If it produces morphine doesn't that mean the body has morphine in it so will show on a test

Yes.

• Like 1

Bloody shambles ….another spelling mistake ….what on earth !! Close the stadium down …

I suppose Steve Park knows all about fundamental mistakes this year 

Edited by Jonnybegood
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Jonnybegood said:

Bloody shambles ….another spelling mistake ….what on earth !! Close the stadium down …

I suppose Steve Park knows all about fundamental mistakes this year 

If you Google it, it's Zapain... No e.. 

Plimouth wos rite 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Zapain is just branded Co-codamol, they are the same drug

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lioness said:

Zapain is just branded Co-codamol, they are the same drug

Exactly.

Any simple Google search though will give you evidence and detailed analysis of the fact that high dose amounts of these drugs can stay in the system for up to 3 days and lead to false drugs tests based on how quickly the liver dilutes the various trace elements and morphine levels.

I'm not saying Barker is innocent nor guilty in the same way that Kyle Howarth failed a test and was able to persuade powers that be that it was due to Night Nurse (allegedly) although he had shoulder problems.

Clearly the more detailed analysis of his p-test will show a far more accurate picture.

Plymouth have been transparent and to a degree set out their defence strategy. Only one person really knows what he has or hasn't taken and hopefully the test will be conclusive one way or another.

• Like 3

Night nurse contains pseudoephedrine so it would cause a positive drug test.  There are plenty of things - especially cold and hayfever remedies- that can potentially cause a positive drugs test.  The Scottish skier whose name escapes me was stripped of an Olympic medal for using vicks.

Btw, I definitely would not trust google as 100% accurate, I'll stick to the 4 years of study and exams I did for that lol.  Basic rule of thumb, if its not on the NHS or BNF websites check ;) them instead!

You are 100% right though, we have to wait and see what the more detailed analysis shows and take it from there

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lioness said:

Night nurse contains pseudoephedrine so it would cause a positive drug test.  There are plenty of things - especially cold and hayfever remedies- that can potentially cause a positive drugs test.  The Scottish skier whose name escapes me was stripped of an Olympic medal for using vicks.

Btw, I definitely would not trust google as 100% accurate, I'll stick to the 4 years of study and exams I did for that lol.  Basic rule of thumb, if its not on the NHS or BNF websites check ;) them instead!

You are 100% right though, we have to wait and see what the more detailed analysis shows and take it from there

Alain Baxter was the Skier

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lioness said:

Alain Baxter.   Very much an innocent party, he used an inhaler bought over the counter in America which -- although branded as the same stuff -- had in it a load of stronger stuff than the same inhaler sold in the UK.   He would have been the first-ever Brit to win an Olympic medal for ski-ing.  A shame.

• Like 1

Just now, Fromafar said:

Alain Baxter was the Skier

Thanks Fromafar!  

1 minute ago, crescent girl said:

Alain Baxter.   Very much an innocent party, he used an inhaler bought over the counter in America which -- although branded as the same stuff -- had in it a load of stronger stuff than the same inhaler sold in the UK.   He would have been the first-ever Brit to win an Olympic medal for ski-ing.  A shame.

It was a shame, I was gutted for him at the time, but the regs are written in such a way that the onus is on the athlete to check anything before taking it. 

I hope that all it is a a proscribed drug & all this can be put to bed very quickly. I understand that procedures have to be followed & the testers are asked to find certain substances at the time & their time & equipment at the trackside is limited.

A friend was once an aspiring cricketer & had an injury in his shoulder that affected his batting & he was warned off over the counter drugs & told to consult the pharmasist & ask for something that was not on & did not contain anything on the IOF list. The best he got was "I think this is OK". He continued to play with the pain.

It's easy to see how people can get into trouble quite innocently The Scottish Skier & Kyle Howarth are prime examples of Sportsmen that rely on their own decision making not being a heavily paid member of a national sports team or club.

On the other side of the coin if it is recreational drugs then everything the offender gets they deserve.

Didn't Alan Grahame get special dispensation to ride while using a medication on the banned list which was prescribed back in the 80s ?