British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Redcar. Championship. 17/8/22

14 minutes ago, Turnip said:

Last night at WINborne Road was a demonstration of what speedway is all about.

The racing & the scoreline may bring up differing opinions but I think something that none of us will differ on was that speedway was the winner.

The fantastic size of the crowd, the family atmosphere, the kids constantly blowing on them whistles (& maybe the adults in weeks to come :D), kids with painted faces, the mascot, free posters & riders meet & greet......... even the usual mobile phone torch light rendition of Sweet Caroline after heat 14 was further enhanced by the size of the crowd........it truly was a magical night for speedway and there was no bigger & louder a message, that could've been sent out to the representatives in attendance from the BCP Council, to back up that POOLE NEEDS SPEEDWAY :t:

Everyone present last night & those that put in all the hard work behind the scenes take a bow, u did yourselves, speedway & Poole speedway proud!

Oh what a night :t:

Excellent summary comments Turnip. Brilliant meeting in the end despite losing Stevie Worrall in his 2nd ride.

Ben Cook, Danny King, Steve Lawson, Matt and Danny Ford and every backroom helper all worked their proverbials off to get last night's important meeting on with great racing, the biggest crowd for some considerable time (and thats saying nothing about Poole's usual big crowds) and a terrific PR exercise for the Council and the longer term future of Poole Stadium and the Pirates.

As the posters said "POOLE NEEDS SPEEDWAY"

• Like 5

Who needs Cardiff? Nah, the heart of British speedway lies right under our noses...... British clubs :t:

• Like 1

Whoops, me bus nearly crashed on the M1 :( slammed the old brakes on! 

I nutmegged the seat in front, boing! :nono:

Thankfully all ok :t:

Just lost a bit more sawdust outta me noggin that's all ! :D

Edited by Turnip

Boing boing boing..........weeeeeeeee!

A liddle Pirate doing a triple?.....a triple?.....

"Pike don't tell em yer name!".......off the end of the plank! :rofl:

14 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm not sure why r/r is nearly always put at number 2?

14 hours ago, PTW said:

Presumably bcoz no1 is your best rider and they can carry the other riders coming in for the rr ride and plus ht8 for the rider replacement as the rider above who’s out should be an easier heat on paper,weirdly I was having the same discussion tonight lol 

In most cases I'd suggest it's a "waste" of a heat leaders extra ride winning heat 8. For Redcar to have gained a point they'd have been looking for Wright to beat a heat leader in his extra ride & someone like Edwards or Andersen to win the "easier" heat 8. 

As it turned out Redcar were well beaten & their second strings were off form, so Wright's win in heat 8 probably saved them a heavier defeat!

• Like 1

Well done Poole for getting the meeting on, goes to show what can be done if you really try.

Another very professional performance from the BSN crew, getting the views from the ref on the night was something different.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simonc said:

Did anyone hear what Matt Ford said last night? where we were sat was too noisy to hear him properly

matt did come out the old grandstand very early, about 50 of us were there,asked for our attention gave us all one of the posters personally and asked if we could tell everyone to display them in front of the councillors,he finished off by saying quite loudly to all of us"WE ARE FIGHTING FOR OUR SURVIVAL".to that end i think he organised a magnificent evening and the councillors(most of them probably on there first ever visit)seemed to be really impressed and probably a little surprised at the passion and enthusiasm in the stadium.On a lighter note was i the oldest fan to high five the mouse?? also we were trying to guess who she was??showed some pretty smart dance moves on the centre green,was it you lisa??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poole keith said:

matt did come out the old grandstand very early, about 50 of us were there,asked for our attention gave us all one of the posters personally and asked if we could tell everyone to display them in front of the councillors,he finished off by saying quite loudly to all of us"WE ARE FIGHTING FOR OUR SURVIVAL".to that end i think he organised a magnificent evening and the councillors(most of them probably on there first ever visit)seemed to be really impressed and probably a little surprised at the passion and enthusiasm in the stadium.On a lighter note was i the oldest fan to high five the mouse?? also we were trying to guess who she was??showed some pretty smart dance moves on the centre green,was it you lisa??

Haha, no not me! I didn't go last night. Weather put me off tbh. Watched the stream though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Haha, no not me! I didn't go last night. Weather put me off tbh. Watched the stream though. 

Oh Lisa, where's yer brolly? Or u cud've gone like I did el naturel with the bald head getting a watering! Only problem was I had cress growing when I woke up this morning! :rofl:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Some fan you :D:D:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, poole keith said:

Probably Danny's partner?!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Normski said:

Some fan you :D:D:D

August too expensive for me to spend money on public transport for it called off late! Saw images of track at 7pm and thought no way will this be on. Good job by track staff.

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Probably Danny's partner?!

that wasour first selection,then someone who knows her ,was sure it wasnt,lets leave it as unknown

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poole keith said:

that wasour first selection,then someone who knows her ,was sure it wasnt,lets leave it as unknown

It was female:wink:

• Like 1

For those that may have missed it or couldn't hear it, Matt Ford's centregreen interview - or most of it anyway - was featured on Thursday's BBC South Today sports update at around 18.50.

Report and photos appeared in Thursday's and today's (Friday) local Echo.

• Like 1