British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Kings Lynn v Belle Vue Monday August 22nd POSTPONED

6 hours ago, Rob B said:

It’s August, it’s school holidays maybe if your club actually promoted it, put some extra entertainment on, advertise, put some special offers on. No just have a damp squib in September instead with no Tv. 

Totally agree - there is 0% effort put  in promoting any meeting at Lynn or meetings up and down the county cone to that  by other clubs with the exception of Glasgow- they are not promotors they club owners - none of them actually promote the sport 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Problem with that, is eventually teams may run out of dates & have to race when the forecast is worse than the original staging!

Or other riders missing.

12 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

These kind of dodgy call offs won't stop while promoters can carry on making their own decisions as they see fit without some kind of adjudication from the governing body.

But as they are the governing body, I doubt anything will change anytime soon.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rob B said:

It’s August, it’s school holidays maybe if your club actually promoted it, put some extra entertainment on, advertise, put some special offers on. No just have a damp squib in September instead with no Tv. 

I think there's a better bulk deal on air horns in September, so maybe that's why? :rofl:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Haza said:

In some sports the visitors would be awarded all league points or complete the meeting behind closed doors which would be financial suicide for speedway - maybe it should be down to the match referee to make the decision if it’s off - all in all it makes speedway look very unprofessional but then so did the British Final better to call it off than a farce like that was on live tv . 

Belle Vue should be awarded 4 points because this was called off due to reasons other than the weather in my opinion, In football terms Buster has scored a spectacular own goal, while i,m on Buster Chapmans case i thought he wanted to sell the club a few months ago or was it what we all thought that it was a case of him spitting his dummy out because the riders refused to ride due to track conditions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TINYS said:

Belle Vue should be awarded 4 points because this was called off due to reasons other than the weather in my opinion, 

Totally agree but sadly it will never happen until rule making is taken out of the hands of the promoters, who have a vested interest.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TINYS said:

Belle Vue should be awarded 4 points because this was called off due to reasons other than the weather in my opinion, In football terms Buster has scored a spectacular own goal, while i,m on Buster Chapmans case i thought he wanted to sell the club a few months ago or was it what we all thought that it was a case of him spitting his dummy out because the riders refused to ride due to track conditions.

I agree about BV getting the 4 points to a degree -but season ticket holders would lose out (if there is any ? ) and the riders losing a pay day in some ways it’s punishing those not responsible it needs to be targeted more and the owner of the club . Seems to me the reasons for call of was Jorgensen injured Eurosport camera was due to be there that = very poor crowd and lastly and the reason used poor weather forecast were no rain fell on kings Lynn - some action should be taken but should be aimed at those who called it off 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Haza said:

I agree about BV getting the 4 points to a degree -but season ticket holders would lose out (if there is any ? ) and the riders losing a pay day in some ways it’s punishing those not responsible it needs to be targeted more and the owner of the club . Seems to me the reasons for call of was Jorgensen injured Eurosport camera was due to be there that = very poor crowd and lastly and the reason used poor weather forecast were no rain fell on kings Lynn - some action should be taken but should be aimed at those who called it off 

Yes very good point.

• Like 1

If speedway teams don't benefit from being on TV,,, then what's the point.   Get shot of the TV coverage,,,,the only people it benefits is those that can't get to speedway.   Looking at viewing figures from not so long ago,, it really isn't benefiting many of them,,, viewing figures as low as 7000,,,

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

If speedway teams don't benefit from being on TV,,, then what's the point.   Get shot of the TV coverage,,,,the only people it benefits is those that can't get to speedway.   Looking at viewing figures from not so long ago,, it really isn't benefiting many of them,,, viewing figures as low as 7000,,,

I agree Tv coverage of league meetings more or less a waste of time  if there is no payment to of set the loss in crowd numbers as you say what is the point ? streaming is the way forward as the Championship have done this season and with only six clubs maybe every meeting could be streamed with fans buying a season ticket from there own club for the service .. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haza said:

I agree Tv coverage of league meetings more or less a waste of time  if there is no payment to of set the loss in crowd numbers as you say what is the point ? streaming is the way forward as the Championship have done this season and with only six clubs maybe every meeting could be streamed with fans buying a season ticket from there own club for the service .. 

Wouldn't streaming affect the gate reciepts, maybe away fans could buy the streaming from their own club, with 50% of the reciepts going to the home club. And the home fans only be able to buy a recording of the live stream.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wtf said:

But as they are the governing body, I doubt anything will change anytime soon.

Turkeys don't vote for Xmas...:D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Haza said:

Problem you have is that whatever "punishment" there could be for a team calling off a meeting which could have gone ahead, it could result in a track closing down if a financial penalty..

And given in this case KL are not going to trouble the play offs, then a points deduction wouldnt make any difference to their season.. 

Any meeting not taking place delivering a point to the hone team, and two to the away team, and no re run, may focus the minds a. bit more? 

Riders would be putting pressure on promoters to run the meeting and maybe would be more inclined to race in conditions less than 100%, which appears to not always happen now..

When you make up your own rules you can pretty much do what you want, and all the promoters know that one day they will need to take advantage of this "laissez-faire" approach to regulations, hence nothing will ever change..  

• Like 1

Buster always got his weather forecasts from RAF Marham which were pretty accurate, wonder if he used somewhere else this time