British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Tuesday 23rd August - Plymouth v Glasgow

31 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

When a situation like this happens(late call off and not weather related) the HOME Promotion should be fined and the away Team awarded the points.Riders know the meeting will be rerun if they don’t ride so aren’t bothered about the fans,it might be a different attitude if it cost them a pay day.I’ll bet to man that everyone of them who have ridden at the Cardiff GP if called up.Rider power is ruining the sport under aHealth and Safety guise.

Apart from the financial penalties bit I agree, the home promotion will already be suffering the financial penalty of a postponement and in this case the potential loss of league points (for me it'd be 1 point each with no restaging).

For riders to not have even tried the track before the postponement also needs looking at. 

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

Apart from the financial penalties bit I agree, the home promotion will already be suffering the financial penalty of a postponement and in this case the potential loss of league points (for me it'd be 1 point each with no restaging).

For riders to not have even tried the track before the postponement also needs looking at. 

Going by what mac101 said about all riders saying it was dangerous going into first bend, then why would they try it??

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

Going by what mac101 said about all riders saying it was dangerous going into first bend, then why would they try it??

Move the starting gate to the other side!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I don't think it's unacceptable for the ref, 2 team managers and 2 team captains to make a decision on whether a track is fit for racing 90 minutes before start time in a (so called) professional sport.

And by keyboard warriors you mean people who have paid to watch a speedway meeting, the word you're looking for is customers. Also i dare say there will be a few "keyboards warriors" who were actually at the meeting. 

Ultimately it's the ref that calls the meeting off, how he could have gotten this one so wrong really should be raising questions about his suitability to be a referee. 

According to the refs interview, issues were raised with the track & the home promotion made attempts to fix it, unsuccessfully as it turns out. Some of these replies sound like the promotion did nothing & ref only inspected the track for the first time at 18:55!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Because tracks don't always ride the way they look. Cardiff, Gorzow GP's being 2 cases in point. Even Poole vs Redcar last week... it looked like a complete pudding of a track, yet was fine within a few races. 

If riders had a quick practice session before a meeting a lot of questions would be answered

4 minutes ago, Lefty said:

And put some cones around the dodgy bit :D

I don't agree with suggestions that the away team should be awarded 4 points in situations like these. While it wouldn't have mattered last night, that could be the difference between a team qualifying for the play-offs or not. Surely you'd want that to be decided on the track!

If a home club was at fault & a penalty merited, I'd suggest home team losing a point. Costs them but doesn't mess up other clubs in the league!

The grand monarch said there was 1 rider who wanted to try it, but by point was going to send him out rest of riders had decided it wasn't raceable so they didn't bother in case of injury. 

• Haha 1

They could have sent Barker out. 

He's allegedly so high as a kite he can't feel pain anyway. 

He'd probably have broken the track record. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, iainb said:

Because tracks don't always ride the way they look. Cardiff, Gorzow GP's being 2 cases in point. Even Poole vs Redcar last week... it looked like a complete pudding of a track, yet was fine within a few races. 

If riders had a quick practice session before a meeting a lot of questions would be answered

But at Poole all the riders did a track walk with the ref and were all happy to give it a go. That is the difference! They prob had a idea how it was going to ride ;)

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

But at Poole all the riders did a track walk with the ref and were all happy to give it a go. That is the difference! They prob had a idea how it was going to ride ;)

Yes, don't disagree... the real question here is why was it left until 19:05 to postpone?

30 minutes ago, Lefty said:

So then they would be going into a dangerous bend 3 at speed?

Not a good idea

Let’s face it as a so-called Professional Sport it is shambles and nothing short of embarrassing at times.No chance of attracting new fans and keeping them.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Let’s face it as a so-called Professional Sport it is shambles and nothing short of embarrassing at times.No chance of attracting new fans and keeping them.

and for the most part all totally avoidable with some proper policies put in place

• Like 1