British Speedway Forum
chrismorton

British speedway is a joke.

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

Hardly anyone really cares...

Bomber will surely appear at some stage...:D

Harris's average is too high ... his days of raking in the guest bookings have gone, until he suffers a slump in form.

16 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

For LEAGUE racing what happens inside the fence is a bonus but not the most important, the most important is what happens outside the safety fence, the fan experience, how that fans feels, if that fan supports their team and there is a bond with that team and they are with other like minded fans (the more the better)creating an atmosphere and their team hopefully wins with maybe some controversy thrown in even if the racing was crap the fan experience will be a good one and make that fan want to go back, this is basically what happens in any team sport even football, add in value for money and you’re on a winner, we all want great racing but great racing infront of a few fans with no atmosphere will be a negative fan experience, it’s the opposite for a TV audience as tv can’t capture atmosphere so relies on good racing , just think back when you went to away matches back in the day on a coach or with your teams fans and you watched a dull meeting with no passing and your team got battered but the 50 or so of you supported your team and had a blast creating an atmosphere, it was a good fan experience, it didn’t matter what happened inside the fence 

Spot on!  And many of us have been saying the same for a while now.

On Saturday morning, BBC Breakfast interviewed four Primary School aged children about The Hundred cricket. One of them played cricket, and talked about the match - the other three all talked about the noise, music, lights, fireworks, excitement ...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Trees said:

Think it does, try play off speedway ....

Play off speedway is great & it can generate a brilliant atmosphere.

Ipswich had some brilliant and of season crowds a few years ago for the championship play offs & knock out cup. 

However it's only 1 or 2 meetings a year and that sort of atmosphere used to be there for 20 odd meetings a season.

• Like 1

Think even the Play-Offs have taken a dive in recent years. The semi-finals no longer are rammed full, same with finals. 

The issue is, they're exactly the same as a regular meeting. There's no fanfare at all & except an extra £5 on the gate. 

Punters are turning away from the Play-Offs too in favour of watching on TV 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

except an extra £5 on the gate.  

That’s for me is the don’t care about supporters bit and every year really grates me 

• Like 2

I went to the semi and final at Peterborough last year and there was no increase in admission price for either

• Like 2

Speedway's failure has been that it has had people running it that call themselves promoters but openly admit to losing thousands of pounds a meeting to keep it going. If these men running it are prepared to run a business this way, what hope have we of survival? 

Again they'll be little panic in the winter. No doubt we'll have the Play-Offs, a decent crowd, and go into the winter with promoters using short-term memory (of the past two weeks) to say it's been a good season.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Think even the Play-Offs have taken a dive in recent years. The semi-finals no longer are rammed full, same with finals. 

The issue is, they're exactly the same as a regular meeting. There's no fanfare at all & except an extra £5 on the gate. 

When I watch the play offs at the NSS on the TV, the semi's seem to get a "normal" non TV match crowd, but not much more than that..

The final gets around 1000 more than a usual match I would say..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikebv said:

When I watch the play offs at the NSS on the TV, the semi's seem to get a "normal" non TV match crowd, but not much more than that..

Is it really worth carrying on with this play-off malarkey when the whole point of them is to create a bumper payout for clubs at the end? 1,000 more is nice, but how many of those fans don't attend the seven months leading up to them, in which six teams full of somebody else's rider chase four places? Not appealing.  

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Play off speedway is great & it can generate a brilliant atmosphere.

Ipswich had some brilliant and of season crowds a few years ago for the championship play offs & knock out cup. 

However it's only 1 or 2 meetings a year and that sort of atmosphere used to be there for 20 odd meetings a season.

I didn't but almost every speedway fan in the local vicinity went to Peterborough last year, people tell me it was an awesome atmosphere!  

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Nice little bonus at the end of the season I'd say??

5 hours ago, iainb said:

I went to the semi and final at Peterborough last year and there was no increase in admission price for either

Daniel doesn't go to speedway anymore ....

6 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

29 minutes ago, Trees said:

I didn't but almost every speedway fan in the local vicinity went to Peterborough last year, people tell me it was an awesome atmosphere!  

Both legs of the final last year were big old crowds, I went to Peterborough and the place was rammed. Two great meetings too.

Not sure it's the Play Offs that are the issue, more the four months of dross which precede it.

• Like 2

The fact that league matches are not all run before the play-offs start is madness. Teams should not be fined for failure to complete their fixtures before the end of the season, they should be fined for failure to complete before the play-offs start. Then we would not get the madness of Plymouth and Glasgow racing a match long after the play-offs have started.

2 hours ago, Trees said:

Nice little bonus at the end of the season I'd say??

That’s all it is though. Don’t think any Champions or other teams in the play-offs in recent years can say their attendances increased as a result - each following year they start from scratch …

• Like 3