British Speedway Forum
chrismorton

British speedway is a joke.

30 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and you have to ask the question why has football avoided going down that route? Would football fans except that scenario?

Of course promotion playoffs have been the norm for many years now but I think I am right in saying that those who finish top in the various leagues (Championship, One & Two) are still crowned champions? Only those immediately below that are involved in playoffs to decide on who gets promoted?

Because they have to for reason to  that, have been already been explained by 3  other on this topic  . If it happened in football just like the other sports it would accepted after a come of seasons .

6 minutes ago, orion said:

Because they have to for reason to  that, have been already been explained by 3  other on this topic  . If it happened in football just like the other sports it would accepted after a come of seasons .

...think I've managed to desipher your response  but I'm not entirely sure your average Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City & Utd et al fans would neccessarily accept that scenario to be honest but I would be happy to be proved wrong but I guess that will never be answered?

3 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Football is absolutely no comparison - even so, the Premier League has positions for Champions League and Europa League, etc. to play for, as well as the race for relegation, and even prize money for final positions, so they have a lot to play for.

Speedway’s Prem Champs don’t even get prize money … 

But they get the extra dosh from the play off meetings ......

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...think I've managed to desipher your response  but I'm not entirely sure your average Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City & Utd et al fans would neccessarily accept that scenario to be honest but I would be happy to be proved wrong but I guess that will never be answered?

There are already play-offs for football's League Championship in some countries.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/playoffs-around-world-global-leagues-use-variety-different-formats-determine

I'm quite surprised at how convoluted some of these are, and if something similar to some of these happened in speedway I'm sure there would be howls of derision and cries of 'only in  speedway'

...well apparently not.

1 minute ago, arnieg said:

There are already play-offs for football's League Championship in some countries.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/playoffs-around-world-global-leagues-use-variety-different-formats-determine

I'm quite surprised at how convoluted some of these are, and if something similar to some of these happened in speedway I'm sure there would be howls of derision and cries of 'only in  speedway'

...well apparently not.

I don't actually follow football much now so I bow to your input. Personally I think generally "playoffs" are an advent of American sports whereby your average american requires a sudden death situation and can't comprehend/appreciate a league structured format and all that entails!

The whole point of playoffs is to have a big final at the end, which is better for marketing and provides continued interest rather than things fizzling out.

That may not happen in practice, not least given the lack of any real marketing of U.K. speedway, or even any clubs that individually market their product at anything more than the most basic level, but playoffs do provide marketing opportunities that a simple league structure don’t. It’s a lot easier to sell semi finals and finals than it is to sell matchday 12 of 17.

34 minutes ago, Trees said:

But they get the extra dosh from the play off meetings ......

Trees - I know that you are a loyal and dedicated speedway fan, yet I'm surprised at how many straws you continue to grasp at.

20 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

No it won't be answered because they don't don't need to do it ,  But big clubs    from other sports did accept it after a couple of seasons .. Speedway fans went crazy about Gp's and Play Offs but after a couple of  seasons  were soon were ok with it  .  

The bottom line is Speedway in the Uk is a joke but has nothing to do with the play offs as a reason 

3 minutes ago, orion said:

No it won't be answered because they don't don't need to do it ,  But big clubs    from other sports did accept it after a couple of seasons .. Speedway fans went crazy about Gp's and Play Offs but after a couple of  seasons  were soon were ok with it  .  

The bottom line is Speedway in the Uk is a joke but has nothing to do with the play offs as a reason 

Because the system works perfectly well as it is whereas other sports are continually tinkering with their formats in the hope of attracting mass media/sponsorship attention...football gets that automatically and always will until the money runs out as it already has done for many clubs.

Edited by steve roberts

On 9/2/2022 at 4:32 PM, hyderd said:

. In Poland, speedway competes with Football and ???????.

I think you'll find that Basketball and Handball are as big in Poland as Cricket and Rugby are in Britain. You'll probably look at that statement and think "WHAT? - Handball and Basketball?" - but then if you ask a Pole, he'll way the same about Cricket and Rugby. 

14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Because the system works perfectly well 

Yep  that is what we all been trying to tell you 

13 minutes ago, orion said:

Yep  that is what we all been trying to tell you 

No that's not what was implied in my last comment or indeed previous posts...my defining question/answer was that football decides its champions by whoever finishes top whereas speedway decides otherwise for better or worse. The detail of the rights and wrongs has long been debated on the forum going back many years regarding the pros and cons of "playoff" systems.

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Trees - I know that you are a loyal and dedicated speedway fan, yet I'm surprised at how many straws you continue to grasp at.

Hahahaha are you watching on Eurosport tonight?

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

I think you'll find that Basketball and Handball are as big in Poland as Cricket and Rugby are in Britain. You'll probably look at that statement and think "WHAT? - Handball and Basketball?" - but then if you ask a Pole, he'll way the same about Cricket and Rugby. 

And volleyball in Poland...

Plenty of arenas have a fair few thousand watching every week....

12 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I don't actually follow football much now so I bow to your input. Personally I think generally "playoffs" are an advent of American sports whereby your average american requires a sudden death situation and can't comprehend/appreciate a league structured format and all that entails!

Playoffs long pre-date the American sports, and were not hugely used even there until the expansion of the various major leagues from the 1960s onwards.

Baseball hardly used them beyond the World Series being a 'playoff' between rival leagues until expansion and the need for divisional structures and unbalanced schedules made this a necessity. American football plays so few games that there wasn't much choice once the NFL (and later AFL) expanded beyond a handful of teams. I think the Stanley Cup was again a 'playoff' between the champions of what were considered major leagues at any given moment (and these changed from time-to-time). 

In the meantime, I think the County Cricket Championship effectively had playoffs back in the 19th Century, Australian Rules certainly has always featured them, Rugby League had them years ago too.

Rugby Union - at least in England - didn't even have leagues until the 1980s, as they were considered too radical for the old farts running the sport at the time!