British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Tuesday 6th September - Playoff First Leg - Plymouth v Poole

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2022 at 5:06 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Plymouth still have a good chance with their little track. We got hammered there earlier this year. And Plymouth scraped a draw at Poole. 

So clearly Plymouth favourites to go through and it will take an almost impossible effort from Pirates to make it to the semis. Can they do it against all the odds?

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2022 at 9:39 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

There’s no denying Plymouth have been stuffed with injuries. No team could expect to challenge for the title with the bad luck they have had. 

My guess is that Nicholls will be riding for them on Tuesday along with another guest (perhaps R Worrall?) and RR. Morley and Coles at reserve are very decent. But really, if Poole don’t make it through to the semis it will be a very big shock.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2022 at 1:42 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole should get the second leg. Plymouth have no right to it. They could of course call off the meeting on Tuesday to force Poole’s hand, but it will just be delaying for no good reason. All this dreadful weather forecast is a nonsense. A risk of sunshine and showers in a brisk wind. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2640194

19 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

As I use accurate forecasts on a daily basis through my flying hobby, I do keep an eye on what is going on a little more than watching big jugs Carol on breakfast news.

Forecast hasn’t changed. Tuesday is a risk of morning showers with a risk of the occasional shower in the afternoon. Should go ahead. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gbvn9cv4h#?date=2022-09-06

A much more accurate forecast will be available on Monday evening. The closer the date, the more accurate the reading. More likely to go ahead than not. Of course a rogue heavy shower might be enough if the Plymouth promotion are desperate to call it off.

18 hours ago, HGould said:

If forecasts are correct by Monday night Plymouth will have had 24 hours torrential rain and yellow flood warning

Poole forecast is even worse for Wednesday. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gbvn9cv4h#?zoom=9&lat=50.37&lon=-4.13&map=SignificantWeather&fcTime=1662336000

https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Plymouth

16 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Lucky the meeting isn’t taking place tonight then. Plenty of time for track to dry.

‘The excuses coming from Devon will take some beating! One would think they don’t want to ride! 

16 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Pretty sure Wimborne Road will be packed regardless of what team Plymouth put out. In it to win it!

16 hours ago, MalDon45 said:

Same sense of self satisfaction a big game hunter gets when shooting their prey in the back I imagine. 

16 hours ago, MalDon45 said:

Hey, we all get our kicks in different ways. 

If your lot came to ours, with no, Worrall, King, Lawson and minus a Cook. On the only night, many potential guests were unavailable, I’m not sure I’d be too excited about it. Or too proud of my promotion if they’d forced it to be that way.

But, we’re all different… Hope you enjoy your night.

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

If that is the lineup, it’s a strong one. 

Nicholls, Starke Sedgeman + r/r is stronger than MPT,Andersen, Barker + r/r(Kennett). You are having a laugh or on something(alcohol or drugs). 

49 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Is it off yet? 

If the 1st leg is off due to the weather then you can expect the 2nd leg to be postponed too, with thunderstorms forecast today, tomorrow and throughout the week..;)

2 hours ago, Trackrat said:

Be embarrasing for Paul if they lose....Fingers crossed.

Paul might but Poole might :rofl:

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gbvn9cv4h#?zoom=9&lat=50.37&lon=-4.13&map=SignificantWeather&fcTime=1662336000

https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Plymouth

Nicholls, Starke Sedgeman + r/r is stronger than MPT,Andersen, Barker + r/r(Kennett). You are having a laugh or on something(alcohol or drugs). 

Are you going for a record of how many posts you can quote in a single post? :P

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Are you going for a record of how many posts you can quote in a single post? :P

Today the weather is very wet in Devon I can't see Tuesday being any different. I expect an early call off with plenty of photographic back-up. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Today the weather is very wet in Devon I can't see Tuesday being any different. I expect an early call off with plenty of photographic back-up. 

It is but I am eight miles from the track and this afternoon has seen thunder, heavy rain and now sunshine. The problem is it has all been very localised. This cycle is forecast to continue. I would want to be standing in the centre green to have any certainty on the state of things. 

The latest forecast is for a dry morning then heavy showers building in the early afternoon, clearing by 3pm to leave a sunny late afternoon and evening. It depends if the track dodges the showers or not. If it takes a direct hit from a deluge the meeting might be called off. The trouble is it’s a near 3 hour trundle down from Poole and a risk to go so far with a chance of a call off. Might have to watch on BSN which would be a real shame as meetings like this I like to attend.

Another issue is that if this is called off, Poole could well pull the meeting on Wednesday regardless of the weather as we have the right to the second leg. Would be a shame but completely understandable.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The latest forecast is for a dry morning then heavy showers building in the early afternoon, clearing by 3pm to leave a sunny late afternoon and evening. It depends if the track dodges the showers or not. If it takes a direct hit from a deluge the meeting might be called off. The trouble is it’s a near 3 hour trundle down from Poole and a risk to go so far with a chance of a call off. Might have to watch on BSN which would be a real shame as meetings like this I like to attend.

Another issue is that if this is called off, Poole could well pull the meeting in Wednesday regardless of the weather as we have the right to the second leg. Would be a shame but completely understandable.

Can’t the Poole promotion simply part the waters on their arrival? Maybe turn a little to Wine?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Another issue is that if this is called off, Poole could well pull the meeting on Wednesday regardless of the weather as we have the right to the second leg. Would be a shame but completely understandable.

Surely Poole will run if they can.

if Plymouth is 2nd leg but they take a hammering Wednesday night then makes the return easier?

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I’ve never seen a moving track before, so I’m looking forward to seeing its attempt to dodge the showers

The weather today is irrelevant, it’s what happens tomorrow that counts.

As I said in a previous post, any track that cannot naturally dry out in the space of 24 hours, has something seriously wrong with it.

If and it’s a big if, Tuesday is dry, no reason why any meeting in the land could not run, if the drainage etc is up to scratch

47 minutes ago, sugarray said:

Surely Poole will run if they can.

if Plymouth is 2nd leg but they take a hammering Wednesday night then makes the return easier?

Exactly. Can understand if it was the final but for a QF? Sometimes better to have 1st leg. 

• Like 1

What's Plymouth's alternative race night? Long range forecast for next Tuesday doesn't look good.

Looking at the forecast Friday or Saturday seems the best options.