British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badge

Panthers v Witches 5th September

2 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

The best race of the night was a superheat. The riders celebrated like they won the league. The fans of whichever team wins the superheat will cheer like they are league champions. The fans of the loosing team will hate it. 

all in all. You got an extra race and what a race it was. 

im all for the superheat 

I think it’s a complete waste of time and money but I can appreciate that some like it.

Early doors it was a bit processional, but half way through it livened up considerably and the racing second half was very good.

Ipswich did well to come back but I thought a draw was a fair result. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Noelinho said:

All this complaining about the super heat, but it was one of the best heats of the night!

definitely a tough watch for a lot of the meeting, but got better later on. Partially the track, partially Jason Doyle making it exciting…

Just to truly make everyone lose their minds, why not draw balls for the heat 16 riders?! 

It was just a coincidence that the Stupid Heat was a very good race.  It's still totally unnecessary.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Flappy said:

So did all of last year's team who were re-signed on high averages they couldn't maintain the season after 

If Harris didn’t maintain his high average I would find it hard too see it drop by more than a point, besides that I’d pay too watch Harris over ulrich Hans and Nicholls any day of the week. 

maybe I’ve been particularly harsh on some of them this year but when riders start the season on 6.5/7 and they are all now in the 4’s then they should of said I’m letting the club down I’m done, but my money would be on the fact ulrich will be signed again and potentially Hans if he continues. Hans has damaged his legendary status this season, he’s never looked comfortable riding at home. Jenkins looked more comfortable last night than Hans has all season 

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Totally disagree. The superheat at Foxhall earlier in the season generated the best atmosphere I’ve experienced for many many years and is my lasting memory of this entire season. Random people were high fiving complete strangers. You didn’t get that kind of emotion when securing a draw do you? Plenty have liked your post so maybe I’m in the minority but there’s a lot of traditionalists out there that just don’t like change. 

But why is a draw any different to any other result?  A drawn match is normally exciting, or at least tense, in its own right.  If you need an extra race because the scores are level, why not an extra race when the teams are only a couple of points apart, to see if one of them can earn a draw or a victory - or an extra race when a team wins by 6 or 8, to give one team a chance to win by more or lose by less to gain an extra League point?  It's a 15 heat format for a League match, which produces a result for a League table.

Edited by Roger Jacobs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

But why is a draw any different to any other result?  A drawn match is normally exciting, or at least tense, in its own right.  If you need an extra race because the scores are level, why not an extra race when the teams are only a couple of points apart, to see if one of them can earn a draw or a victory - or an extra race when a team wins by 6 or 8, to give one team a chance to win by more or lose by less to gain an extra League point?  It's a 15 heat format for a League match, which produces a result for a League table.

It’s as if you and others didn’t watch the superheat. It’s nothing like a drawn match in the way it creates the drama. The after heat euphoria as Phil rightly says, was as if they’ve just won the title. Louis puffing out his cheeks just before the tapes went up in the superheat you could see the nervousness and tension in him, just like every fan whether that be Ipswich or Peterborough. I’ve NEVER witnessed scenes like we saw at Foxhall for the superheat earlier this season, for any drawn match in the past, never. 

You’re over complicating things here by saying why not an extra heat if you’re a couple of points behind to try and get a draw.  If you’re a couple of points behind there’s no need for an extra heat because you’ve lost the meeting, pure and simple. The rule is very clear and nobody can claim to be disadvantaged, a draw isn’t good enough. if you want to gain 3 points, either win the meeting or if you can’t do that, get a second bite of the cherry and win the superheat. We came out on the right side this time, but if this rule stays, I guarantee will come out on the wrong side at some point, and I’ll still claim it’s a great addition. I’m sorry but nobody will convince me that it doesn’t create huge drama and excitement and I find comments like “pointless and adds nothing” baffling to be honest. We had this debate after the Foxhall superheat and at the end of the day, neither of us are going to change our minds on the matter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redpanther said:

If Harris didn’t maintain his high average I would find it hard too see it drop by more than a point, besides that I’d pay too watch Harris over ulrich Hans and Nicholls any day of the week. 

maybe I’ve been particularly harsh on some of them this year but when riders start the season on 6.5/7 and they are all now in the 4’s then they should of said I’m letting the club down I’m done, but my money would be on the fact ulrich will be signed again and potentially Hans if he continues. Hans has damaged his legendary status this season, he’s never looked comfortable riding at home. Jenkins looked more comfortable last night than Hans has all season 

Granted Hans has been poor this year but 12 months ago he was scoring big points from reserve and  at the time Panthers fans were all concerned he was moving into the main team again just at the wrong time during the play offs, hes took some nasty bangs the last few years including some this year although its looking like his time as a Panther is coming to an end one way or another his status amonst the legend riders of the club shouldn't be tarnished because of one poor sesson out of the many hes ridden for the Panthers ,  if Peterborough run and keep Harris and sign another big hitter then i wouldn't be surprised if his average fitted again.   

15 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

It’s as if you and others didn’t watch the superheat. It’s nothing like a drawn match in the way it creates the drama. The after heat euphoria as Phil rightly says, was as if they’ve just won the title. Louis puffing out his cheeks just before the tapes went up in the superheat you could see the nervousness and tension in him, just like every fan whether that be Ipswich or Peterborough. I’ve NEVER witnessed scenes like we saw at Foxhall for the superheat earlier this season, for any drawn match in the past, never. 

You’re over complicating things here by saying why not an extra heat if you’re a couple of points behind to try and get a draw.  If you’re a couple of points behind there’s no need for an extra heat because you’ve lost the meeting, pure and simple. The rule is very clear and nobody can claim to be disadvantaged, a draw isn’t good enough. if you want to gain 3 points, either win the meeting or if you can’t do that, get a second bite of the cherry and win the superheat. We came out on the right side this time, but if this rule stays, I guarantee will come out on the wrong side at some point, and I’ll still claim it’s a great addition. I’m sorry but nobody will convince me that it doesn’t create huge drama and excitement and I find comments like “pointless and adds nothing” baffling to be honest. We had this debate after the Foxhall superheat and at the end of the day, neither of us are going to change our minds on the matter. 

Louis puffing out his cheeks - couldn’t win in the 15 heat match, so given another chance. 
Piffle (or much worse language) - it was a draw, leave it at that, the result of the scheduled races.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

You’ve never seen scenes like it because your trophy cabinet has sat empty for ages 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Granted Hans has been poor this year but 12 months ago he was scoring big points from reserve and  at the time Panthers fans were all concerned he was moving into the main team again just at the wrong time during the play offs, hes took some nasty bangs the last few years including some this year although its looking like his time as a Panther is coming to an end one way or another his status amonst the legend riders of the club shouldn't be tarnished because of one poor sesson out of the many hes ridden for the Panthers ,  if Peterborough run and keep Harris and sign another big hitter then i wouldn't be surprised if his average fitted again.   

He did do a great job last season I completely agree but he was at reserve for a long time, therefore getting extra rides too score big points, he was great like I say but Hans Andersen at reserve should be nothing other than great.

2 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Louis puffing out his cheeks - couldn’t win in the 15 heat match, so given another chance. 
Piffle (or much worse language) - it was a draw, leave it at that, the result of the scheduled races.

Didn’t have to. Aim was to collect 3 points, mission accomplished, as per the current rules. All this b0llocks will soon die down in a few years when people eventually get used to it, just like the play off format that caused uproar at the time. 

Is it fair that a team that finishes top over a season, isn’t champions, yet a team who could finish 4th out of 6 possibly takes the trophy? No not really but everyone knows before a wheel is turned what needs to be done to become champions. But sure, let’s do away with a new rule that creates euphoric scenes like we saw last night, can’t be having any of that added excitement in this sport! Just good old gentleman’s handshakes all round for a well fought draw is the order of the day. 

• Confused 2

The SuperHeat is British Speedway's answer to VAR.

Amazing when it goes your way but you'll hate it when it goes against you.

If Harris had been in his usual imperious form   this would have been an easy win for Panthers.

1 minute ago, wealdstone said:

If Harris had been in his usual imperious form   this would have been an easy win for Panthers.

Yeah and if we'd had Danyon at reserve and our no5 scored more than 4 same could be said for us:wink:

Why is Danny racking up big points for his other club,  but struggling for us again. :unsure: At this business end to the season we need you on song Danny.

• Like 1

Agree Badge he looked short on pace again. Just when he starts to find a bit of form and you think he’s back on it, he then goes back in to reverse. Just been a poor year for him by the standards he set last year. Still time though. If he comes alive in the play offs and helps us to success then none of that will matter from our point of view. 

• Like 2

Good meeting some excellent racing in the later heats especially and the Souper Heat was great.

And not a tyre problem in sight.

We'll miss the EOES when it's gone 

• Like 2