British Speedway Forum
Vicar

Attendances

15 hours ago, Biffa said:

Will be interesting to see what the Belle Vue/ British Final attendance will be, finally a Sunday afternoon meeting with the “top” British riders competing. 
It’s what a lot of fans have asked for. 

Well there is definitely two more there than the original Monday night staging as getting there on a Sunday is so much easier than getting there after work on a Monday...

And I only live six miles away so hopefully many more can travel from further afield too and "make a day of it"...

Edited by mikebv

6 more coming from my end as well, tickets bought. Nigh on impossible with work and 100 mile each way on a Monday. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Biffa said:

Will be interesting to see what the Belle Vue/ British Final attendance will be, finally a Sunday afternoon meeting with the “top” British riders competing. 
It’s what a lot of fans have asked for. 

Will still be a drawn out affair thanks to TV... I'll probably make the trip though, it'll be like the good old days at Cov :)

Always a tricky thing but I would guess that at Ipswich if its either Kings Lynn or Peterborough the attendance could be about 2,000 or so - certainly better attended this year than for some time. At Sheffield where I also attend on occasions i would say maybe less but its tricky due to the bars / Grandstand but the two matches i have attended were V Wolves and also Belle Vue maybe 1,500+

I do wish they would publish them but they never really have.

17 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Always a tricky thing but I would guess that at Ipswich if its either Kings Lynn or Peterborough the attendance could be about 2,000 or so - certainly better attended this year than for some time. At Sheffield where I also attend on occasions i would say maybe less but its tricky due to the bars / Grandstand but the two matches i have attended were V Wolves and also Belle Vue maybe 1,500+

They used to in the "Star" many years ago for, I believe, one season and stopped doing it for reasons one can only conjecture?

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Well there is definitely two more there than the original Monday night staging as getting there on a Sunday is so much easier than getting there after work on a Monday...

And I only live six miles away so hopefully many more can travel from further afield too and "make a day of it"...

Another four coming down from the North on the 18th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

They used to in the "Star" many years ago for, I believe, one season and stopped doing it for reasons one can only conjecture?

Perhaps who knows!! - I do remember attending a football match once many years ago - it was on sky live on a friday night - at the match they announced the attendance at 5,000 and something - the following day in the paper it said 4620!!

Edited by GeneralMelchett

48 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Perhaps who knows!! - I do remember attending a football match once many years ago - it was on sky live on a friday night - at the match they announced the attendance at 5,000 and something - the following day in the paper it said 4620!!

That would have been at the Etihad .:D

5 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

The reason will be for one of 2 things. 

1. They don't want people to realise how poorly speedway is supported nowadays. 

2. They don't want people to work out the real income and outgoings of running a speedway club. 

Hence the reason nobody ever knows what riders earn etc. If everything was more transparent then you could pinpoint how to make speedway viable instead of mullering through year after year. That way we might be able to go forward... 

• Like 2

Having done 2 trips to Oxford they must be the best supported club in Britain. Packed both times  a real successful return.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Having done 2 trips to Oxford they must be the best supported club in Britain. Packed both times  a real successful return.

Standby for the Poole fans to tell you otherwise!!!!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

At the moment .... they done really well to be honest but the real test is in the years to come once the novelty  wears off .. We seen what happened to Worky and Newport after a great start after coming back 

2 minutes ago, orion said:

At the moment .... they done really well to be honest but the real test is in the years to come once the novelty  wears off .. We seen what happened to Worky and Newport after a great start after coming back 

True, particularly if they are going to have mysterious "lack of medical cover" postponements

• Like 1

21 hours ago, arnieg said:

True, particularly if they are going to have mysterious "lack of medical cover" postponements

Oxford has been one of the success stories this season and, by golly, speedway needs a few of those! Not sure what the "lack of medical cover" was all about however let us wallow in something positive when there is so much negativity within the sport...only wish that I could make a meeting at Cowley. Both my brothers have attended (on seperate occasions) and had nothing but praise.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Oxford has been one of the success stories this season and, by golly, speedway needs a few of those! Not sure what the "lack of medical cover" was all about however let us wallow in something positive when there is so much negativity within the sport...only wish that I could make a meeting at Cowley. Both my brothers have attended (on seperate occasions) and had nothing but praise.

A friendly atmosphere as well, Swindon and Oxford fans mingling and chatting. Wouldn't happen at Football!

• Like 1