British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Swindon Stadium

7 hours ago, The Cheese said:

This situation seems to get more odd as time goes on, can't imagine how frustrating it is for Swindon fans knowing there's a perfectly good track and stadium there. 

Russell saying it wasn't financially viable made no sense. There was no attempt to sell the club, attract new investment or even lower the costs by dropping down to the Championship where at least they'd be guaranteed some big crowds against Oxford and Poole. It was just that's it, we're done. To then team up with Osborne to look for a new site makes it even stranger given his history and reputation, you wouldn't even consider that unless you're a complete mug which I don't think he is. 

How many times must it be said Swindon was viable but osbourne as stadium owner held all the cards.  A large investment of a  new racing circuit and quality teams over the years Russell was offered something he couldn’t refuse and with little optimism that the new facilities would appear cashed in his chips.The stadium will not be ready for a few years no car parking due to other development in the area and also a question mark over the noise restrictions imposed by the council (as it might be  difficult to meet these )so far easier to forget about it as after all Osborne would still say Speedway is not Viable.

On 10/26/2023 at 11:53 AM, The Cheese said:

This situation seems to get more odd as time goes on, can't imagine how frustrating it is for Swindon fans knowing there's a perfectly good track and stadium there. 

Russell saying it wasn't financially viable made no sense. There was no attempt to sell the club, attract new investment or even lower the costs by dropping down to the Championship where at least they'd be guaranteed some big crowds against Oxford and Poole. It was just that's it, we're done. To then team up with Osborne to look for a new site makes it even stranger given his history and reputation, you wouldn't even consider that unless you're a complete mug which I don't think he is. 

Spot on Cheese .. The thing that makes me laugh or cry .. Who  has ever heard of someone putting you out of business and making your asset virtually worthless but then  setting up a company the next day with the same people . its just insane .

Swindon Fans don't want Osboune or Russell running the club or the ones looking or not looking in there case for a new site . Russell needs the Licence taken off him with immediate effect .

• Like 4

21 hours ago, orion said:

Spot on Cheese .. The thing that makes me laugh or cry .. Who  has ever heard of someone putting you out of business and making your asset virtually worthless but then  setting up a company the next day with the same people . its just insane .

Swindon Fans don't want Osboune or Russell running the club or the ones looking or not looking in there case for a new site . Russell needs the Licence taken off him with immediate effect .

Don't the rights expire after a certain period of inactivity or did I dream that?

4 hours ago, noaksey said:

Don't the rights expire after a certain period of inactivity or did I dream that?

In the past licences were put "on ice" but I believe that was at the discretion of the relevant "authority"?

6 hours ago, noaksey said:

I guess the licence can be taken away. But not the ownership of the Swindon Robins in itself.

Does anyone on here know what a speedway “licence” is? 
Are they in short supply - why do they have to be put “ on ice”  seems to infer that once handed back they cannot be re issued? 

How do I apply for a new speedway promoters licence ? Who issues the”licences” DVLA? How much do they cost and how long are they valid for? 

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Does anyone on here know what a speedway “licence” is? 
Are they in short supply - why do they have to be put “ on ice”  seems to infer that once handed back they cannot be re issued? 

How do I apply for a new speedway promoters licence ? Who issues the”licences” DVLA? How much do they cost and how long are they valid for? 

It was/is a perculiar one "on ice". I know that Reading's was put "on ice" during the development of Smallmead and I believe the same applied to King's Lynn when "Buster" Chapman (remember him as a novice riding for Oxford!) was negotiating the purchase of Saddlebow Road? Oxford purchased Hackney's licence when they re-entered the British League in 1984...would be interested to learn the situation regarding Swindon's licence and who actually owns it?

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

It was/is a perculiar one "on ice". I know that Reading's was put "on ice" during the development of Smallmead and I believe the same applied to King's Lynn when "Buster" Chapman (remember him as a novice riding for Oxford!) was negotiating the purchase of Saddlebow Road? Oxford purchased Hackney's licence when they re-entered the British League in 1984...would be interested to learn the situation regarding Swindon's licence and who actually owns it?

Swindon Speedway 2013 ltd. 

2 hours ago, Toady said:

Swindon Speedway 2013 ltd. 

I've just located it on the relevant Gov.UK site and it's still active apparently.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I've just located it on the relevant Gov.UK site and it's still active apparently.

Yes of course because their intention is to find another venue to promote at isn’t it.

2 hours ago, Toady said:

Yes of course because their intention is to find another venue to promote at isn’t it.

Yes of course that's been their "story" all along but don't hold your breath!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Haha 1

On 10/27/2023 at 3:50 PM, orion said:

Been told today Russell licence will be revoked by end of either this year or next 

• Like 2

What was Lee Kilby's role at Swindon as a matter of interest?

On 10/29/2023 at 8:24 PM, Toady said:

Co promotor along with Rossiter both rewarded for their service I believe.

Conversations i've had suggest otherwise, but it would be extremely disappointing if it is the case.

Edited by frigbo