British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Swindon Stadium

rumours are rife in the greyhound world regarding Swindon Stadium, date being banded about that it is to close 26th December this year. Hope this isn't true.

3 minutes ago, Odds On said:

rumours are rife in the greyhound world regarding Swindon Stadium, date being banded about that it is to close 26th December this year. Hope this isn't true.

The future of Swindon Stadium has been an on-going unacceptable public relations disaster for many years now. I feel sorry for any "Budgies" fans who have been promised this and that without any substance and continual cover ups.

• Like 2

Me too Steve, all to sadly, nothing out of the normal though. :sad::sad::sad:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Odds On said:

Maybe only closing to greyhound racing? Perhaps due to the pressure groups? :unsure:

2 hours ago, The White Knight said:

Me too Steve, all to sadly, nothing out of the normal though. :sad::sad::sad:

Ian, have you seen the pictures of the houses, there's absolutely no way speedway will survive the NIMBY onslaught, despite the track being there donkeys years. Any new tracks are going to have to be in the middle of nowhere like Worky. Hope you're well

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Odds On said:

Already put it on the other topic over the weekend..odd thing is that  the cranes are in place and working at the Staduim today  so no idea what is going on..

39 minutes ago, ch958 said:

Ian, have you seen the pictures of the houses, there's absolutely no way speedway will survive the NIMBY onslaught, despite the track being there donkeys years. Any new tracks are going to have to be in the middle of nowhere like Worky. Hope you're well

I'm fine apart from arthritis thanks. Hope you and yours are well too ch958. 

Yes, I have seen tthe houses - sadly I suspect that may be the end of the road for the 'Robins'. :sad::sad:

Personally, I think it is a bloody disgrace. :angry:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

I'm fine apart from arthritis thanks. Hope you and yours are well too ch958. 

Yes, I have seen tthe houses - sadly I suspect that may be the end of the road for the 'Robins'. :sad::sad:

Personally, I think it is a bloody disgrace. :angry:

Despite being the "enemy down the road" I have many happy memories watching speedway at Swindon.

The dog track has done well to hold on this long. But with nothing moving in the redevelopment of the stadium I'd say the Council will be getting itchy feet & no shortage of pressure from developers for a large piece of land. The writing has been on the wall for long enough & the history surrounding GI, Stadia UK & Clarke Osbourne is not to be overlooked. It is a sad day but unless a new site can be found & financed then speedway in Swindon is finished

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Technik said:

The dog track has done well to hold on this long. But with nothing moving in the redevelopment of the stadium I'd say the Council will be getting itchy feet & no shortage of pressure from developers for a large piece of land. The writing has been on the wall for long enough & the history surrounding GI, Stadia UK & Clarke Osbourne is not to be overlooked. It is a sad day but unless a new site can be found & financed then speedway in Swindon is finished

...there's that name again!

2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

Maybe only closing to greyhound racing? Perhaps due to the pressure groups? :unsure:

Since it doesn't run anything else now that would be a total closure surely?

1 minute ago, Sotonian said:

Since it doesn't run anything else now that would be a total closure surely?

Yes, could be! :)

Not a Swindon fan, never managed to visit or know any of the people personally involved in Swindon, but I have followed Speedway for years, and read the threads on Swindon’s problems. What I can’t get my head round is how Terry Russell has been “done over” so seemingly easily. He comes across as a very smart businessman, astute, good negotiator of contracts etc. How has he had the rug pulled from under his feet like this. From an outsider looking in, it seems as though he has been well & truly sucked in & spat out during the last few years. 

Surely many of the 'new' houses were there when the Robins were still racing?!

And what are the on site cranes doing today??

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Surely many of the 'new' houses were there when the Robins were still racing?!

And what are the on site cranes doing today??

The information on the facebook page is, the land that the new stadium is on has been sold, so it needed to be moved.