British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Swedish GP Malilla Saturday September 17th

4 hours ago, bellevueace said:

Imagine how many Mauger would have won under this formula with his outstanding consitency? And he had to do all the qualifiers too.

Mauger, Rickardsson, Fundin and Nielsen in the current era would have absolutely cleaned up

44 minutes ago, MattB said:

Mauger, Rickardsson, Fundin and Nielsen in the current era would have absolutely cleaned up

You could include riders like Dave Jessup, who was a world beater but was let down by his own tuning in the big occasions, he would of thrived in a GP series, also tommy Knudsen 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

He would have been totally dominant.IMO.Probably double figures.

Unlikely. What seasons after 75 do you think he would have been world champion? Pc 76&77, olsen 78, Lee 79? 

2 hours ago, MattB said:

Really? Zmarzlik is at that level imo - in my view in the top half dozen post war riders.  Tbf  Nielsen would have cleaned up his era under a Gp system. 

Maybe interesting for some: Fredrik Lindgren has switched to Dutch GM engines, tuned by Bert van Essen (BVE). 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TTT said:

Got to bring back the Russian's next year.

Zmarzlik doesn't have a single challenger. Madsen leads the chasing back but he can only ride throttle jockey places so he'll never be a World Champion.

I'd say Lambert and Bewley are arguably the most likely. Top six this year and (I think) the youngest riders in the series (other than holder)?

Just now, waiheke1 said:

I'd say Lambert and Bewley are arguably the most likely. Top six this year and (I think) the youngest riders in the series (other than holder)?

Don't think Bewley will make top 6 this season, but think Lambert will be up there challenging for second next season, not quite ready to challenge for first, maybe 2024 season

Hope i am wrong on both counts

42 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Unlikely. What seasons after 75 do you think he would have been world champion? Pc 76&77, olsen 78, Lee 79? 

! Correct me if I am wrong, but he was World Champion in ‘77 and ‘79

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fromafar said:

! Correct me if I am wrong, but he was World Champion in ‘77 and ‘79

Yes, but we were talking about under a GP series format. Does anyone think he would have won in those years if it was a series?

6 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Don't think Bewley will make top 6 this season, but think Lambert will be up there challenging for second next season, not quite ready to challenge for first, maybe 2024 season

Hope i am wrong on both counts

You could well be right. For sure  they are both some way off Zmarzlik right now. But looking at the field, they are the ones I see with the highest potential to challenge him in the years ahead- next season may be too soon though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Yes, but we were talking about under a GP series format. Does anyone think he would have won in those years if it was a series?

Well obviously I Do.

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Well obviously I Do.

Which years from 76 onwards do you think he would have won a gp series?

76 was surely pc (Mauger on the podium)

77 pc or olsen (mauger third)

78 olsen (mauger 2nd)

79 Lee?  Mauger maybe top three?

80Jessup

Be genuinely interested to know which of those seasons you would see Ivan winning. 

26 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Which years from 76 onwards do you think he would have won a gp series?

76 was surely pc (Mauger on the podium)

77 pc or olsen (mauger third)

78 olsen (mauger 2nd)

79 Lee?  Mauger maybe top three?

80Jessup

Be genuinely interested to know which of those seasons you would see Ivan winning. 

It’s all hypothetical,it’s just an opinion.Mauger was just so consistent.He still was averaging  over 10pts in 1979

Edited by Fromafar

1 hour ago, waiheke1 said:

80Jessup

What about Penhall?

1 hour ago, chunky said:

What about Penhall?

80 would surely have been Jessup  with Lee and Penhall on the podium.

Penhall's time would come the next season...