British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Swedish GP Malilla Saturday September 17th

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

It’s all hypothetical,it’s just an opinion.Mauger was just so consistent.He still was averaging  over 10pts in 1979

Agreed, it's all opinions. I'm just interested. There's been a fair amount of debate on this on the forum, and I think the general consensus is he would hsve won 7 titles under a gp system, all between 68-75, with Olsen winning one in that period ( with one school of thought thinking Michanek may have won in 73, which would reduce Ivan back to six).

Nielsen I think would hsve been the big beneficiary of a gp system, he could easily have doubled his world title tally...

12 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Agreed, it's all opinions. I'm just interested. There's been a fair amount of debate on this on the forum, and I think the general consensus is he would hsve won 7 titles under a gp system, all between 68-75, with Olsen winning one in that period ( with one school of thought thinking Michanek may have won in 73, which would reduce Ivan back to six).

Nielsen I think would hsve been the big beneficiary of a gp system, he could easily have doubled his world title tally...

In the 12 seasons between 1968-1979 he average over 11pts on 7,over 10pts on 4 and 1 season 9.77.He was so Professional and consistent Is why I think the GP system would have been right up his street.Agree the Nielsen was in the same boat and would won more Titles in the GP system

Edited by Fromafar

37 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

80 would surely have been Jessup  with Lee and Penhall on the podium.

Penhall's time would come the next season...

Remember, he'd already won the Master of Speedway in 1979, and in 1980, he scored a maximum in the WTC Final (defeating both Lee and Jessup), and was R/U (to Les Collins) in the BLRC, and R/U (to Mort) in the Inter-Continental Final. Plus, in the England-USA Test Series, he outscored them both again. It might have been a lot closer than you think!

• Like 1

Seems to be quite a few negative comments about the Swedish GP. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but after attending the GP  earlier this week its fair to say we all enjoyed a great weekend in a fabulous country. Thought the Stadium and track  were great and we all enjoyed the meeting.

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience . Would we go again?  Absolutely 100% we would.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 4:45 PM, waiheke1 said:

Tbf  Nielsen would have cleaned up his era under a Gp system. 

Under the old scoring system maybe. Under this scoring system Gundersen would have matched him.

19 minutes ago, Fullmax said:

Seems to be quite a few negative comments about the Swedish GP. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but after attending the GP  earlier this week its fair to say we all enjoyed a great weekend in a fabulous country. Thought the Stadium and track  were great and we all enjoyed the meeting.

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience . Would we go again?  Absolutely 100% we would.

In my humble experience GP`s always seem better when at the venue than some of the comments from people sat at home. Was i correct in describing the setting of the track ?

• Like 2

You were. Its outside of the town of Malilla in the middle of a forest. Its called the Skrotfrag Arena the home of Dakarna. Thought the facilities were excellent with plenty of food and drink outlets so no big queues although somebody mentioned the  queue for beer was a little longer  {we had done all our drinking pre meeting with a liquid lunch ! ).

Good views from our seat which was a wooden bench . We sat  next to Ricky Klings Parents ,  Anders who had also ridden  for Dackarna and his wife. Really friendly with lots of track knowledge which he was happy to share. 

Would we go again , certainly. And the weather was good , no rain ! . 

7 minutes ago, Fullmax said:

You were. Its outside of the town of Malilla in the middle of a forest. Its called the Skrotfrag Arena the home of Dakarna. Thought the facilities were excellent with plenty of food and drink outlets so no big queues although somebody mentioned the  queue for beer was a little longer  {we had done all our drinking pre meeting with a liquid lunch ! ).

Good views from our seat which was a wooden bench . We sat  next to Ricky Klings Parents ,  Anders who had also ridden  for Dackarna and his wife. Really friendly with lots of track knowledge which he was happy to share. 

Would we go again , certainly. And the weather was good , no rain ! . 

I used to thoroughly enjoy the journey down from Skavsta airport, although if on the early  Sunday  morning flight back it was a late arrival back to the airport hotel.

18 hours ago, Grachan said:

Under the old scoring system maybe. Under this scoring system Gundersen would have matched him.

Not convinced by that, though agree this format would make it closer. Regardless of scoring system, I think Eric would have picked up a couple of titles, with Hans potentially taking the rest in the period 83-92

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Not convinced by that, though agree this format would make it closer. Regardless of scoring system, I think Eric would have picked up a couple of titles, with Hans potentially taking the rest in the period 83-92

Over a heat-by-heat scoring, Nielsen was clearly a cut above everyone. However, all Gundersen had to do would be finish in the top 8 and make the semi-final. Once in the semi's he would be Hans' worst nightmare!