British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BuxtonTiger

Tyre Investigation

As long as Anlas pay for the bar bill at the AGM all should be good. 

• Like 2

Louis suggested on TV that contributory factors to the Sheffield debacle had been the earlier start time and warmer conditions. Make of that what you will. He also said that Anlas had sent over some new tyres with, presumably, a different compound and a technician to look at the problem. There didn't seem anything untoward last night, but I fast forward through the interviews so don't know if there were any comments.

A poster had insinuated that the tyres were kept in an "over heated portacabin" due to the hot summer & was a contributory factor in their failure up here at Scunthorpe. I asked this question, and many others, at our last meeting & was told that the tyres are not kept here & the failures could have been due to the nature of the track. The track was one of those that tyres tests were done on & just recently, the track has been slicker than usual. So, due to the slick track, size in length & warm weather could all be factors leading to the failures. We, in Britain, also use a different make/model of tyre compared to the rest of Europe.

In road racing (possibly TT) there was also a make of tyre that wore quickly down to the canvas & a tyre blew, I think on M Dunlop's bike, & riders then chose to ride on another make.

1 hour ago, Chadster said:

Louis suggested on TV that contributory factors to the Sheffield debacle had been the earlier start time and warmer conditions. Make of that what you will. He also said that Anlas had sent over some new tyres with, presumably, a different compound and a technician to look at the problem. There didn't seem anything untoward last night, but I fast forward through the interviews so don't know if there were any comments.

That's correct although someone suggested Basso had a puncture in heat 15?

It’s not the heat, the storage the track and to a large extent the tyres, it’s the revolution of the back wheel , it is too much, we have been asking too much of the tyres and track surfaces for years nothing will change because nobody gives an arse we will be adapting 1tyre per race soon like they do in Poland and then the riders tyre bill goes up too £250 per meeting and then the mechanics will ask for more to fit them and on track nothing changes, at times this sport deserves to die 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

That's correct although someone suggested Basso had a puncture in heat 15?

That info came from the pit staff should be reliable

Not sure if it was the case but it did look like they were running higher tyre pressures last night

Anias will be in contact with the developer buying the showground at Peterborough to hurry up the construction of the houses earmarked for the area the track is situated on , as its making there tyres look second rate and is causing them massive headaches as to what is causing them to explode only at Peterborough 

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

A poster had insinuated that the tyres were kept in an "over heated portacabin" due to the hot summer & was a contributory factor in their failure up here at Scunthorpe. I asked this question, and many others, at our last meeting & was told that the tyres are not kept here & the failures could have been due to the nature of the track. The track was one of those that tyres tests were done on & just recently, the track has been slicker than usual. So, due to the slick track, size in length & warm weather could all be factors leading to the failures. We, in Britain, also use a different make/model of tyre compared to the rest of Europe.

In road racing (possibly TT) there was also a make of tyre that wore quickly down to the canvas & a tyre blew, I think on M Dunlop's bike, & riders then chose to ride on another make.

An overheated portacabin due to a hot summer, in Scunthorpe !!!!! 

Whoever thought that gem up could be the new Barry Cryer

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Not sure if it was the case but it did look like they were running higher tyre pressures last night

I'm no expert, but it seems clear that riders wish to run their rear tyres at as low a pressure as possible. 6 psi has been mentioned and this, to me, seems an extremely low value. If the rules don't prescribe a minimum pressue and a low pressure gives you more grip (which makes intuative sense) who's to say some riders aren't sneaking down to even lower pressures? For sure, the slow mos reveal significant distortion of tyres including the sidewalls. Spin a tyre at high speed, whilst cornering with little air in it and you would appear to be asking for trouble. Do that on shale that is sharp edged in nature (not to mention nuts and bolts from previous stock car meetings - not relevant to Peterborough I know, but is with some other tracks) and you might just get the odd catastrophic failure.
We did have a "one edge per meeting" rule a few years ago, did we not? That went out of the window (with the current tyres) when a tyre run on the same edge for all of one meeting was found to be unusable when turned. Now we're talking about two tyres per meeting (albeit only at one track thus far). That's a four fold increase in usage; four edges per meeting. And that's from a tyre that's reported to be more expensive than previous makes.
I'm happy for anyone to refute any of this.

Edited by False dawn

Didn’t look like Basso got a puncture in heat 15, it was said that he mistakenly thought he had done 4 laps, hence the reason he slowed on the first bend then continued.

14 hours ago, Chadster said:

It did look like there were a few people from Anlas in the pits on Monday night with a lot of scrutiny of tyres going on in between races

24 minutes ago, iainb said:

It did look like there were a few people from Anlas in the pits on Monday night with a lot of scrutiny of tyres going on in between races

Just one, with his roving thermometer. He was the sacrificial "engineer"

4 minutes ago, wtf said:

Just one, with his roving thermometer. He was the sacrificial "engineer"

I saw at least 2, wearing Anlas coats at least,  unless they brought some free "merch" over with them :D