British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eric i

Belle Vue 2023?

Discovery want a second GP in Britain, (Bradford has been ruled out) it looks like they are trying for Belle Vue. The sticking point seems to be the capacity, they need to get it up to 10000 or more to make it pay for Discovery. What effect would this have on a already dwindling Cardiff crowd? Some people (the purest) won't care but I personally think it would be a mistake to make Cardiff unviable. I think it would make more sense to alternate between the 2 venues, one year Cardiff, the next Belle Vue and so on.

• Like 1

Rumoured for some time already in the paddock that there will be GP's in Cardiff & Manchester from 2023.

• Haha 1

I really think that everyone is over-reacting with the "dwindling" Cardiff crowd. Yes, this year was low, but there were several major factors involved. Everything came together for the perfect storm.

• Like 4

I probably missed something somewhere but why was Bradford ruled out?. Wasn’t White Hart Lane rumoured a while back?. 

22 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

I probably missed something somewhere but why was Bradford ruled out?. Wasn’t White Hart Lane rumoured a while back?. 

Track too narrow doesn't meet FIM specs as would have to install additional fence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, eric i said:

Discovery want a second GP in Britain, (Bradford has been ruled out) it looks like they are trying for Belle Vue. The sticking point seems to be the capacity, they need to get it up to 10000 or more to make it pay for Discovery. What effect would this have on a already dwindling Cardiff crowd? Some people (the purest) won't care but I personally think it would be a mistake to make Cardiff unviable. I think it would make more sense to alternate between the 2 venues, one year Cardiff, the next Belle Vue and so on.

Can definitly get 10,000 in, was designed for that, had 9,000 in 2016

I don't get what people's problem is with capacity at the NSS? What is the capacity at Vojens? Prague? Malilla? Torun? Gorzow? Wroclaw? Yes the NSS ain't Cardiff but neither are any of the others I have listed. I would say the NSS (with it's temporary stand) compares perfectly with those others

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't get what people's problem is with capacity at the NSS? What is the capacity at Vojens? Prague? Malilla? Torun? Gorzow? Wroclaw? Yes the NSS ain't Cardiff but neither are any of the others I have listed. I would say the NSS (with it's temporary stand) compares perfectly with those others

100%

Watching WTC at Vojens with a few hundred there was awful TV

Seeing Cardiff barely 35% full is not good TV

Imagine BV with extra capacity up to about 11k FULL to the Brim and comments like (we could have filled the place 3 x over)...it's just a completely different and entirely positive perception that encourages sponsors in, encourages stay aways to think about going back and encourages newcomers about a sport that even if it's for a day "looks vibrant"

Marketing is 99% bullcrap and 1% fact....anyway

• Like 3

Terenzano held several GP’s and unless I  am mistaken, the capacity was only 4,000. Many GP’s over the years have been held in stadia housing less than 10,000.

On 9/8/2022 at 8:43 PM, Rob B said:

Track too narrow doesn't meet FIM specs as would have to install additional fence.

Oh bugger, terracing is so much better at Bradford imo!

Bring Back Bradford for Speedway Grand Prix!!!, Belle Vue Aces yeah they did speedway of nations last year 2021, when Team GB won it. i don't mind if cardiff, belle vue or maybe Bradford do Grand Prix.

If they can build temporary tracks at Cardiff/Warsaw surely one could be constructed at Bradford at probably a third of the cost of Cardiff,  plus 15- 20000 capacity at Bradford think it would be cost effective,  plus on a personal view I can travel in the day from Cumbria :D

5 hours ago, speed29 said:

Bring Back Bradford for Speedway Grand Prix!!!, Belle Vue Aces yeah they did speedway of nations last year 2021, when Team GB won it. i don't mind if cardiff, belle vue or maybe Bradford do Grand Prix.

Read the first post, Bradford already been ruled out it too narrow doesn’t meet FIM requirements.