British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I'm a King's Lynn fan who stopped going because of Buster. You don't have to go around blinkered because you don't like something. We have to be objective & Buster isn't the problem. 

Had Tomlin kept his mouth shut I'm pretty sure most Peterborough fans would have been ok with Pedersen & Iversen as top 2 + Basso & fillers in between. 

The issue was, because of Tomlin's big mouth & the rumours of Holder, Tungate, Lindgren you'd all got your knickers in a twist about Chapman & since have became the blinkered ones. 

Pedersen & Iversen were never the answer, and i said as much many weeks ago. Buster got lucky in 2021, largely due to Oystercards inflated average when he got injured, but apart from that it's been wooden spoons every year in the top league. People blaming MT for the current situation are just deflecting Chapmans historical inability to build a competitive team. Even worse, he's ruined the track with his cheap and nasty clay. He won't be getting another penny of my hard earned...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I don’t get all the hate for Tomlin on here.

the guy is a businessman if he could see a long term future for the club he would have brought it doing the winter. it looks like issues came up during the winter around a new site. That could be the cost, planning permission or a combination of both. Tomlin was never going to buy a club that had no future beyond October that isn’t good business sense.

Admittedly he could have kept the fans updated & come clean on the issues around his purchase falling though.

if I were a Peterborough fan I’d enjoy this season & the speedway while you can.

I generally wish all of you that are fighting to keep to club going all the best. 

It's not hate, that's a strong word to use against someone you don't know. It's just the fact that he'd whipped up the excitement amongst Peterborough fans about building "a title challenging team guaranteed". The romoured rider's didn't help the situation, to then not back it all up. Then to see all the blame fall back on the guy who actually owns the club is just laughable.

At the end of the day, as a sponsor, they should keep their mouth shut until a team is signed sealed & delivered. 

1 minute ago, BluPanther said:

Pedersen & Iversen were never the answer, and i said as much many weeks ago. Buster got lucky in 2021, largely due to Oystercards inflated average when he got injured, but apart from that it's been wooden spoons every year in the top league. People blaming MT for the current situation are just deflecting Chapmans historical inability to build a competitive team. Even worse, he's ruined the track with his cheap and nasty clay. He won't be getting another penny of my hard earned...

What a load of tosh imho. But what do I know.. 

1 minute ago, Bald Bloke said:

What this bloke who said this Thursday?.

“I think all criticism of Buster is unfair, he’s doing his best for sure in my opinion, he IS a good guy and does want the club to survive. It’s not easy running a Speedway club and very often, actually always, it’s about mitigating losses rather than making a profit”

I'm blaming Buster for the results and team building.

Take out the Chris Holder winter drama, For arguments sake let's just say fair enough he doesn't want to sign him because he doesn't like him.....But what's the excuse for not signing Matej Zagar last week when we're desperate?

2023 is just a case deja vu with an owner who simply doesn't want to sign a replacement because he's given up even though we should have £91,000 minimum to spend on a replacement because that's what the club would've paid out for Nicki P over the season if the 3.5k a night quote is correct.

It's easy to point the finger at Tomalin because he's the newbie by saying he's a big mouth and it's down to him for making promises he can't keep, But that argument is floored imo because the on track downfall watching our 5/6 man teams consisting of R/R and guests lose every meeting started last year before Tomalin even took on the co promoter role.

The only thing that Tomalin can be blamed for at this moment time is the rebranding of the club purely because it makes no sense to make that change if the club has no long term future.

You would've thought that Peterborough would've had a rider in by now.

2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's not hate, that's a strong word to use against someone you don't know. It's just the fact that he'd whipped up the excitement amongst Peterborough fans about building "a title challenging team guaranteed". The romoured rider's didn't help the situation, to then not back it all up. Then to see all the blame fall back on the guy who actually owns the club is just laughable.

At the end of the day, as a sponsor, they should keep their mouth shut until a team is signed sealed & delivered. 

Another spot on post…. 

2 minutes ago, TTT said:

Take out the Chris Holder winter drama, For arguments sake let's just say fair enough he doesn't want to sign him because he doesn't like him.....But what's the excuse for not signing Matej Zagar last week when we're desperate?

2023 is just a case deja vu with an owner who simply doesn't want to sign a replacement because he's given up even though we should have £91,000 minimum to spend on a replacement because that's what the club would've paid out for Nicki P over the season if the 3.5k a night quote is correct.

It's easy to point the finger at Tomalin because he's the newbie by saying he's a big mouth and it's down to him for making promises he can't keep, But that argument is floored imo because the on track downfall watching our 5/6 man teams consisting of R/R and guests lose every meeting started last year before Tomalin even took on the co promoter role.

The only thing that Tomalin can be blamed for at this moment time is the rebranding of the club purely because it makes no sense to make that change if the club has no long term future.

We will have to agree to disagree on the Buster and MT thing. If the Panthers fans keep blowing smoke up MT’s arse long enough, he might actually deliver..That’s your only hope, so I get it why Buster is getting all the crap..

3 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Every Peterborough fan already knew who Buster was when he took over. You'd seen the bargain teams put together at King's Lynn, why anyone would expect different at Peterborough is unbelievable & stupid. He'd saved you from early closure & won a title on a shoestring. 

MT has to take blame for making promises he couldn't deliver on. 

Buster works to a very strict budget & it's always been that way. Most outsider's would see what he's done in his short tenure as an excellent job. 

Us at King's Lynn have never seen a top flight title, Buster delivered one almost immediately, we should be the immensely bitter ones to be fair. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, screm said:

You would've thought that Peterborough would've had a rider in by now.

Another of those things that does the sport so few favours if it is ever to be taken seriously...

Lost a good rider? No problem. Borrow any of ours whenever you need them..

With the Polish rule changes, there must be a fair few who would ride over here now, on Nicki P's terms too I would think given he wouldnt have been cheap. (Even at 'mates' rates)..

RR only should be the option as that would mean the Promoters get a shift on in getting another rider in..

• Like 1

Perhaps we should have Palm Toft guesting on Monday. I see he is currently 'in form' and does ride Belle Vue well.

Personally I hope he never turns another wheel for the Panthers after the farce and pee taking performance last Monday.

11 minutes ago, TTT said:

You'd already been told why they said no to Zagar, asking for £100 per point more after agreement is outrageous behaviour. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Octoberon said:

Perhaps we should have Palm Toft guesting on Monday. I see he is currently 'in form' and does ride Belle Vue well.

Personally I hope he never turns another wheel for the Panthers after the farce and pee taking performance last Monday.

I’m curious. Are you one of many blaming Buster for not allowing Holder to ride for him after what he did?

Edited by Bald Bloke

25 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

You'd already been told why they said no to Zagar, asking for £100 per point more after agreement is outrageous behaviour. 

Have to pay it though because we don't have another option.

A decent guest is never guaranteed with the fixed race night situation, MPT scoring a blank on Monday should be enough encouragement to get back on the phone to Zagar imo.

19 hours ago, Littleze said:

The main reason Speedway clubs fold is due to largely, poor stadia, compared to other sports or activities on offer, no promotion, a near total disregard for their fan base, an amateurish “show” confusing rules, no meaningful competitions, which this leads to very little credibility and therefore exposure in media and the failure to attract sponsorship or investment. The failure to tap in a young audience on social media platforms.

AFTV (Arsenal Fan TV) have approx 1.5 million followers on their YouTube channel alone. It was started by 1 man (many since and before have shows/podcasts resulting in exposure, advertising, merchandise resulting from this & expanding revenue streams). AFTV don’t have anything to even sell… no game/no club/no museum/no access to players… the list goes on.

Speedway bosses have a product they could market to the whole world, they could interview riders, ex riders.. referees.. supporters, do bike examinations, show behind the scenes, team manager interviews, merchandise, tickets… do podcasts, show old clips… ANYTHING… what do they do… next to idiot all!

I used to attend Rye, from when my parents took me from 6months old.. we went to Mildenhall, P’boro, Lynn, Milton Keynes regularly. Rye was a great venue, with potential if there was investment for it to be a picturesque stadium and good night out. I’m not sure the track design/set up, like Wolves gave that good racing..

Yet, you’d have these old codgers as track staff, smoking as they came out, some fat bloke as start Marshall with his top barely over his belly, waving to his mates on parade, the contrast being the riders & their bikes pristine. It’s shabby.. scruffy, lazy and embarrassing.. it’s professional sport.. that should apply to staff too. Image and perception is just as important. The latest trend to keep the sagging tapes from hitting the track floor is the ORANGE TRAFFIC CONE!!  Seriously.. it looks rubbish on TV.. well it just looks rubbish. Add in the weather factor and all the other issues people raise. Address the above and you may just get the footfall back. Many well known high street shops disappeared because they didn’t adapt to the modern day market place.. and Speedway could well be that equivalent. That’s my opinion anyway.

Great Post and one that sums up British Speedway entirely. It's a sport that's been on the decline.for years and yet despite all.the warning signs it's just plodded on.until we are left with what we have now. An antiquated, unprofessional, inadequate sport that has been allowed to stagnate while blinkered promoters have done nothing to improve it

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TTT said:

Have to pay it though because we don't have another option.

A decent guest is never guaranteed with the fixed race night situation, MPT scoring a blank on Monday should be enough encouragement to get back on the phone to Zagar imo.

It will be down to budget. Almost every club apart from a few lucky ones ,no doubt have a tight one. NP was on a reported £3.5k a meeting.. Zagar rumoured to be on £5k last season at BV. We don’t know how much Zager wanted, but I’ sure if he was around what NP was getting paid, he would be signed by now..  there must be a line somewhere. Buster hasn’t got a bottomless pit, as we know at Lynn.He’s trying to run 2 clubs in difficult times..

Edited by Bald Bloke