British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

45 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

"as a member of the planning committee I need to keep away from this" - from speaking to him before, I think that the correct course is to politely lobby (e-mail) those local councillors and ask them to make your views known to the planning committee. Not forgetting to also register an objection on the planning portal and referencing that in your email.

Locals could also e-mail the MP the ward (the ward covering the East of England Showground) who is Shailesh Vara, also Paul Bristow as the the loss of the site and Peterborough Speedway is a city issue so no reason for him to get away unscathed, he took the photo op at the start of the season  https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/other-sport/major-boost-for-peterborough-panthers-as-potential-new-promotion-team-is-announced-alongside-increased-financial-support-3994378

Your councillor is spot-on.  He is not allowed to get involved at all in any actual two-way discussion because that might leave him open to claims of being "pre-disposed" for or against the application.  Having said that receiving emails putting your case is classed as lobbying, so a polite email as suggested would be fine.  That was one of the things I was referring to by saying the system is solidly behind the developers in these cases.  As a lay person, I find it grossly immoral that the developers can do what they want and talk  to anyone, but we cannot discuss a proposal with our elected representative so that he/she knows the other side of the discussion from people he/she represents and who know the local effects of these plans.  But the law is the law and nobody said it has to be fair.  That said, Julie is not bound by that rule because she will not have a vote for or against it when it comes to committee.

Even if the planning is flat out rejected, AEPG don't have to renew the lease for the Speedway... 

Surely as custodians of the showground and with permission from AEPG they can simply agree between them that they don't want the speedway there anymore, not renew the lease and demo the facilities?

The speedway has always rented the facilities and Surely no one is obliged to provide them indefinitely.

This has been on the cards for as long as I can remember going, so Surely if Peterborough speedway was ever going to live on past the inevitable development of the showground, it would have done so by now.

10 minutes ago, OldNutter said:

Your councillor is spot-on.  He is not allowed to get involved at all in any actual two-way discussion because that might leave him open to claims of being "pre-disposed" for or against the application.  Having said that receiving emails putting your case is classed as lobbying, so a polite email as suggested would be fine.  That was one of the things I was referring to by saying the system is solidly behind the developers in these cases.  As a lay person, I find it grossly immoral that the developers can do what they want and talk  to anyone, but we cannot discuss a proposal with our elected representative so that he/she knows the other side of the discussion from people he/she represents and who know the local effects of these plans.  But the law is the law and nobody said it has to be fair.  That said, Julie is not bound by that rule because she will not have a vote for or against it when it comes to committee.

That so true. Allegedly AEPG have give PCC their reasoning for not needing to honour LP36 & LP30. I don't think that paper is in the public domain but if anyone can point to it then then would be helpful.

And then Butterfield is quoted in the local press as saying “We are working with the Speedway fans and owners but we understand the disappointment that the speedway is moving from Peterborough.”

On what basis does he make such a claim when their planning application has yet to be approved? It's not going anywhere at the moment and even less so if PCC do their job. All sounds a bit dodgy?

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Whilst still running you have to nice to AEPG, even at this late stage.

Yes it's the same at Wolves 

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Yes exactly!  Although aren't the SCB different from the BSPL? But equally they don't appear to be doing anything either - if they can't be bothered, why should we?

The SCB exists to regulate the sport, protect the integrity of their rulebook ( ha ha:rofl: ) so it is outwith their remit, but one does wonder how the BSPL could be any less effective at achieving its basic mandate: to protect thd business interests of its members.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Yes exactly!  Although aren't the SCB different from the BSPL? But equally they don't appear to be doing anything either - if they can't be bothered, why should we?

This for Wolverhampton:

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/premiership/wolverhampton-speedway-statement/

Silence for Peterborough, meaning they do want to let this one go... why? Something more to this me thinks

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

This for Wolverhampton:

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/premiership/wolverhampton-speedway-statement/

Silence for Peterborough, meaning they do want to let this one go... why? Something more to this me thinks

Yeah considering Chapman was head honcho for years he certainly appears to be doing nothing to ensure the future of Peterborough. It does make you wonder if the fans are not being given 5he whole story? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The SCB exists to regulate the sport, protect the integrity of their rulebook ( ha ha:rofl: ) so it is outwith their remit, but one does wonder how the BSPL could be any less effective at achieving its basic mandate: to protect thd business interests of its members.

It may be outwith its remit but they suggested they had a good relationship with Sport England and had contributed to other campaigns.

It may well be better if BSPL got involved, but will they? 

3 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

It may well be better if BSPL got involved, but will they? 

Silence :sad:

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

Silence :sad:

Wonder how much of this silence from BSPA/SCB has to do with the obvious dislike of Mr Chapman by his fellow Promoters and if its payback time. 

But in the long run it's the sport and fans that are going to lose out

13 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Wonder how much of this silence from BSPA/SCB has to do with the obvious dislike of Mr Chapman by his fellow Promoters and if its payback time. 

But in the long run it's the sport and fans that are going to lose out

I can't imagine why 2 clubs in such similar situations get such different treatment. As far as I'm aware there hasn't even been any kind of press release on the BSPL website about Peterborough's imminent demise 

I’ve shared the links on a couple of Facebook groups. Let’s get this noticed.

32 minutes ago, GARY POPPS said:

When is Peterborough's last home meeting?

Last home meeting of 2023 yet to be confirmed but will happen so if you've been listening to the rumour mongers, not saying that that's the reason for your question, then fear not ;)

• Like 1