British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Yep, it not like those club names have forty or fifty plus years of history attached to them is it? :rolleyes:

The name Lakside Hammers wasn't around forty or fifty years ago.  

Is It possible that the Peterborough Panthers name is all the consortium may want to buy at this stage ,

Its been stated on here that the air fence is worthless as its past its expiry and was due to be replaced for 2024. 

28 minutes ago, Noodles said:

The name Lakside Hammers wasn't around forty or fifty years ago.  

Fair point, but 'Arena Essex Hammers' is nearly 40 years old.

The point is that if you're starting up a speedway team again you'd surely want to use the name that the club has always had would you not.

9 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Fair point, but 'Arena Essex Hammers' is nearly 40 years old.

The point is that if you're starting up a speedway team again you'd surely want to use the name that the club has always had would you not.

I seriously doubt anyone would get permission from the BSPL to operate a team within a reasonable distance of Peterborough without coming to an agreement with the current owner 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, noaksey said:

I seriously doubt anyone would get permission from the BSPL to operate a team within a reasonable distance of Peterborough without coming to an agreement with the current owner 

Correct & that’s one of the benefits/reasons of owning a company that owns such an asset. 
To be clear. License’s are legal documents drawn up under the full protection of UK contract law. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I might be wrong, but didn't Buster buy it to save the Prem and TV deal at the time ?

I wonder why Ged sold a well run, profit making club? He must of had his reasons i guess.

No, not to save the TV deal, Chapman thought he’d make a lot of money. But he’s not a businessman he’s a chancer who couldn’t run a drinking competition in a brewery. He deserves zero credibility!

22 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

No, not to save the TV deal, Chapman thought he’d make a lot of money. But he’s not a businessman he’s a chancer who couldn’t run a drinking competition in a brewery. He deserves zero credibility!

Well. Think what you like re his business acumen. But unless he did what he did, then the TV deal would have been dead in the water as the number of clubs required was none negotiable. 

• Like 1

So if I wanted to set up a track in Milton Keynes and call it Milton Keynes Knights, someone still owns the rights to that name?  What if I called it Milton Keynes Cavaliers? 

Or setting up another Ipswich team the other side of town and called it Ipswich Wizards. Could have an Ipswich Witches v Ipswich Wizards final! Even we couldn’t stuff that one up :D 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Absolutely not. Peterborough Speedway would have raced on in the Championship in 2019 under Ged’s ownership if the sale of the Club to Keith Chapman hadn’t gone through. The Club was well run, profitable and successful and in no danger whatever.

If that were the case, then why did the sale go ahead? Surely the owners could choose not to sell if they wanted? 

12 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

If that were the case, then why did the sale go ahead? Surely the owners could choose not to sell if they wanted? 

Because they wanted to sell the club. They’re perfectly entitled to sell it even if it’s profitable….sure they had their own personal reasons for not wanting to continue at the time. 

Edited by Sully

44 minutes ago, Noodles said:

So if I wanted to set up a track in Milton Keynes and call it Milton Keynes Knights, someone still owns the rights to that name?  What if I called it Milton Keynes Cavaliers? 

It doesn’t work like that unfortunately

43 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Where a license exists, it provides for exclusivity to promote speedway in accordance with the SCB/FIM regulations within a given regional area - irrespective of the name of a team which if one is established is protected by amongst others  trade mark & copyright law   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sully said:

Because they wanted to sell the club. They’re perfectly entitled to sell it even if it’s profitable….sure they had their own personal reasons for not wanting to continue at the time. 

No problem with that, so if Buster hadn't bought it we only have conjecture as to whether they would have continued. 

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

Where a license exists, it provides for exclusivity to promote speedway in accordance with the SCB/FIM regulations within a given regional area - irrespective of the name of a team which if one is established is protected by amongst others  trade mark & copyright law   

When does a licence cease to exist?