British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

1 hour ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

New season is approaching and it is starting to sink in that we will not be racing.

We're feeling exactly the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

New season is approaching and it is starting to sink in that we will not be racing.

Starting :o Bloody hell, been in a box for 6 months? There's a battle going on to ensure that that isn't a permanent situation. Focus on that rather than the direction Butterfield and Chapman tried to engineer!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Starting :o Bloody hell, been in a box for 6 months? There's a battle going on to ensure that that isn't a permanent situation. Focus on that rather than the direction Butterfield and Chapman tried to engineer!

Harsh. Think you know what they’re trying to say. Of course everyone has been aware of the situation for some time, but it’s this time of year when March strikes that every fan gets the new Speedway season buzz where it’ll undoubtedly hit home even more for the fans of clubs that no longer have their side to watch. It was always going to get tougher the nearer to tapes up on a new season especially when clubs are uploading all their promotional stuff on social media for the new season. 

• Like 2

Have to agree even though they knew it was coming, it’s around now it’ll be hitting home hard. Feel for all the fans who have lost clubs over the years of course, but especially the Peterborough and Wolves fans as this will be their first season without it. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

The last few words will give many a Panthers fans a chuckle , its taken from the Lynn Premiership preview on the British Speedway website 

"It is perhaps little surprise that there is a healthy former Peterborough contingent in the Lynn team of 2024, which was a logical move when it became clear that the site owners were giving the Panthers no prospect of continuing at the Showground despite the extensive efforts of Keith Chapman and his team."

Edited by scoobydoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2024 at 10:35 AM, scoobydoo said:

despite the extensive efforts of Keith Chapman and his team."

Perhaps they could do a follow up piece listing those efforts so that we can all enjoy the efforts that Chapman made behind the scenes? I saw bugger all out in the open in public! 

• Thanks 4

Crying shame but I think we're done for a long while at best 

8 hours ago, Flappy said:

Crying shame but I think we're done for a long while at best 

I tend to agree has gone radio silent for some time now.

I feel a bit of a tw*t for believing that MT would come to our rescue.

I think we're done forever now tbh, I just cant see MT stumping up a ton of cash to build a new track.

It's just not possible to recoup the financial outlay.

8 hours ago, TTT said:

I think we're done forever now tbh, I just cant see MT stumping up a ton of cash to build a new track.

It's just not possible to recoup the financial outlay.

Keep the pressure up on the Council to enforce the Local Plan. If a new stadium is required then AEPG should pay for it. 

AEPG wants everyone to give up. Don't give up. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Sidney said:

Keep the pressure up on the Council to enforce the Local Plan. If a new stadium is required then AEPG should pay for it. 

No one is giving up, AEPG are clueless if they are thinking we are.

The pressure is being kept on the PCC.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 7:13 AM, Sir Sidney said:

And play close attention to all relevant aspects within the local plan as well as the submissions by major players on the PCC planning portal. It's funny that AEPG say that they and the EEAS have no future obligation to support Peterborough Speedway financially, however, they are keen to say LP36 & 30 doesn't specifically mention speedway. As the only permanent/annual regular sporting and leisure user for 49 years when the local plan was adopted, what else does LP30 allude to? Also by wrecking the speedway infrastructure & stand they are trying to engineer a position where LP30 doesn't apply, as noted by PCC Policy :

LP30 – Culture Leisure, Tourism and Community Facilities Policy LP36 specifically makes reference to the requirements of Policy LP30 and the loss of existing cultural, leisure, tourism and community facilities: The applicant will need to demonstrate that the proposals meet the requirements of points k-m, in particular with regard to the speedway track. The applications do propose to make a good, appropriate, level of sport and leisure uses. Normally, the application would not be considered to meet points k-m as they stand, as they do not provide a replacement facility for speedway use, and the speedway track was clearly fit for purpose. This has been made more complex by the Speedway club having been served notice and asked to vacate the site and remove their safety and lighting infrastructure, therefore no longer meeting point k and in no longer being fit for purpose requiring the meeting of point l and m. It is noted that Sport England have provided comments in response to the application.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 2

With the season up and coming I’m gutted I won’t be attending the showground it’s actually just hit home even though not a Peterborough supporter!  It’s brought me and my family so many happy speedway memories over the years and wishing one day we will be attending Peterborough again in the future. 

• Like 2