British Speedway Forum
eric i

2023 GP line up/wildcards

5 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

I think he gets a wildcard pick over Doyle! I think Bewley will drop out of the top 6 in Torun (hope im wrong) but Fricke will be back anyway! Not a pick i agree with but think it will happen  

We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

His best GP years were 15 years or so ago. He is a gater. He rides like Laguta did prior to 2021…..get in a tight spot and he pulls out.  That’s ok if you gate and earn a living, but that’s no good for GP’s. It’s like Berntzon said to Scotty last night “GP racing is a level above league racing”. Kolodzeij is riding for his pension pot. That’s ok, but not in the GP’s please.

Definitely disagree on that one, as someone else mentioned, way better on the big polish tracks compared to the smaller ones, however not just a gater in my opinion. Remember us disagreeing on Kolodziej before the SEC as well when you compared him to KK and Lindback which I didn't agree, you might be underestimating him. I mean if winning the SEC isn't enough to prove himself then what is...

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Lorenzo558 said:

Definitely disagree on that one, as someone else mentioned, way better on the big polish tracks compared to the smaller ones, however not just a gater in my opinion. Remember us disagreeing on Kolodziej before the SEC as well when you compared him to KK and Lindback which I didn't agree, you might be underestimating him. I mean if winning the SEC isn't enough to prove himself then what is...

Time will tell.

10 hours ago, phillipsr said:

I think he gets a wildcard pick over Doyle! I think Bewley will drop out of the top 6 in Torun (hope im wrong) but Fricke will be back anyway! Not a pick i agree with but think it will happen  

11 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

His best GP years were 15 years or so ago. He is a gater. He rides like Laguta did prior to 2021…..get in a tight spot and he pulls out.  That’s ok if you gate and earn a living, but that’s no good for GP’s. It’s like Berntzon said to Scotty last night “GP racing is a level above league racing”. Kolodzeij is riding for his pension pot. That’s ok, but not in the GP’s please.

As well as looking like he could win the SEC, he's also in the top 10 in the Ekstraliga averages. If he qualifies then he deserves his place and he'll be competitive next season, nowhere near top six, but he won't be last either. 

19 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Then there is those who would like to see the 2 Russians back.  Fricke doesn’t deserve to be in next year but Vaculik does, bad injury stopped him this year.What Nilsson and Kolodzeij will bring to the GP’s……I can’t see it being much.  Woffy will get a place

The selectors have a tough job anytime, but particularly this year.

I'd say it's not so tough- places 7-9 plus the two former Russians. If they are not available then a second Dane (prob Michelsen) and Vaculik. 

Doyle definitely deserves a pick over Fricke if it comes down to it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

I'd say it's not so tough- places 7-9 plus the two former Russians. If they are not available then a second Dane (prob Michelsen) and Vaculik. 

Doyle definitely deserves a pick over Fricke if it comes down to it

I certainly agree with your last statement.

So definitely 6 wildcards then! Now to see who gets them  

1 or 2 gp stars? Will be happy that madsen has taken kolodziej out of the equation regarding gp places 

Wouldn't be surprised if the series is Nilsson instead of Przedpelski and the other fourteen the same as this year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the series is Nilsson instead of Przedpelski and the other fourteen the same as this year.

Still think Laguta and Sayfutdinov will be back somehow 

22 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Still think Laguta and Sayfutdinov will be back somehow 

That’s the thing we don’t know.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:01 AM, Bagpuss said:

Agree. If the Russians are back, then add Thomsen and Vaculik to that, barring a big last round from Vaculik 

I think it should be top 3 qualify for next year then next 9 go into GP challenge day after last GP round with the 7 qualifiers for challenge, the GP need to be more cut throat, it’s becoming stale with too many riders just outside the title contenders in a comfort zone knowing they will get a wild card 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I think it should be top 3 qualify for next year then next 9 go into GP challenge day after last GP round with the 7 qualifiers for challenge, the GP need to be more cut throat, it’s becoming stale with too many riders just outside the title contenders in a comfort zone knowing they will get a wild card 

Whichever way you cut it, the series usually has the best 15 in the world (minus Przedpelski this year). If you have 9 from the GP then you just run the risk of more Nilssons and that ilk. Also not sure how this idea gets riders out of a comfort zone? Top 3 will be sorted quite early on so they'll just give up even quicker.

What about top 6 go into next year's then next 6 into challenge with bottom 3 missing out. Top 6 from challenge into following years GPS leaving the sec winner and 2 wildcard picks

• Like 1