British Speedway Forum
OdsalBoy

Sheffield Tigers 2023

10 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Temporary signing. He isn’t committed to British speedway anymore so completely irrelevant. 

Well it is relevant to me. I was looking forward to seeing Tai at BP tomorrow (actually today). I didn't question Emil's commitment to British speedway when he came to BP, I just sat back and looked on in awe. Each meeting is an event. Enjoy it for what it is. You seem to suggest that a rider has to be fully committed to our national sport for his appearances to mean something. That is, with respect, a rather outdated concept. Are the foreign riders participating in the Polish leagues "committed" to Polish speedway? I think the pay cheques out there might have more to do with it. There are riders. There are meetings / races. Enjoy one taking part in the other and be thankful that sometimes you see something quite memorable. The fact that Tai is British, the fact that some believe his loyalties are more Australian, are all meaningless. We can claim him as ours when he rides for GB but otherwise he is no more or less "valid" as a participant in "our" leagues than Max, NKI, or any other rider, foreign or carrying a British passport.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, False dawn said:

Well it is relevant to me. I was looking forward to seeing Tai at BP tomorrow (actually today). I didn't question Emil's commitment to British speedway when he came to BP, I just sat back and looked on in awe. Each meeting is an event. Enjoy it for what it is. You seem to suggest that a rider has to be fully committed to our national sport for his appearances to mean something. That is, with respect, a rather outdated concept. Are the foreign riders participating in the Polish leagues "committed" to Polish speedway? I think the pay cheques out there might have more to do with it. There are riders. There are meetings / races. Enjoy one taking part in the other and be thankful that sometimes you see something quite memorable. The fact that Tai is British, the fact that some believe his loyalties are more Australian, are all meaningless. We can claim him as ours when he rides for GB but otherwise he is no more or less "valid" as a participant in "our" leagues than Max, NKI, or any other rider, foreign or carrying a British passport.

Personally for me a rider that shows loyalty to the British leagues deserve more respect.

Yes, I’m all for all the top boys being back in the UK top league and if the pay was good they would be it’s that simple.

Take Lambert last season, purely here for the glory and just the play offs. Great to have him racing here but I have no respect for him or the Aces for that move.

Great to have Woffy back absolutely.  I’m no fan of Doyle but he deserves more respect for choosing the UK as one of his main leagues season after season. Any top rider back in the UK we should applaud however some are only here for glory/convenience/other clubs out the play offs/ extra pay check etc.

Woffy is a GB legend and our greatest ever rider. He is only here for a few matches tho.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Personally for me a rider that shows loyalty to the British leagues deserve more respect.

Yes, I’m all for all the top boys being back in the UK top league and if the pay was good they would be it’s that simple.

Take Lambert last season, purely here for the glory and just the play offs. Great to have him racing here but I have no respect for him or the Aces for that move.

Great to have Woffy back absolutely.  I’m no fan of Doyle but he deserves more respect for choosing the UK as one of his main leagues season after season. Any top rider back in the UK we should applaud however some are only here for glory/convenience/other clubs out the play offs/ extra pay check etc.

Woffy is a GB legend and our greatest ever rider. He is only here for a few matches tho.

Feel you make a fair and good point here - Lets hope Tai is back for next season as he has himself suggested.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevebrum said:

He maybe here till the end of season Steve.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SSL84 said:

Is that if Holders not fit?  Can’t see them fitting in Tai, Toby and Jack.

On 8/3/2023 at 6:34 PM, SSL84 said:

Perhaps, it’s not really clear. The way I see it he is here as an injury replacement for Holder, unless Sheffield are going to be ruthless and axe another rider to fit Tai in.

23 Berwick fans attending Sheffield v Kings Lynn on the 31st as part of our Cardiff Trip Sheffield Thursday,Oxford Friday, and GP Saturday. Obviously we have all been before to watch Berwick plus Riders Championship meetings, but usually off the bus into the Old Crown watch the meeting and home. This time we were thinking of either the carvery or hospitality and i  was wondering what is the best option cheers

Sometimes I cannot believe what some people write on here, although I understand some have a different point of view when it comes down to cold hard facts.

9 hours ago, Normski said:

23 Berwick fans attending Sheffield v Kings Lynn on the 31st as part of our Cardiff Trip Sheffield Thursday,Oxford Friday, and GP Saturday. Obviously we have all been before to watch Berwick plus Riders Championship meetings, but usually off the bus into the Old Crown watch the meeting and home. This time we were thinking of either the carvery or hospitality and i  was wondering what is the best option cheers

The carvery always a good option, but book ahead, try contact Julie Reading at a Sheffield speedway I’m sure she’ll be able to help 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 9:35 PM, stevebrum said:

Perhaps, it’s not really clear. The way I see it he is here as an injury replacement for Holder, unless Sheffield are going to be ruthless and axe another rider to fit Tai in.

Can you make three changes this year? 

21 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Peterborough already have- Wojdylo, Harris and Tarasenko all coming in.

And Lynn have made 4: Laguta , Breum, Lambert and Rowe

Edited by arnieg

His 7.03 average is from 2014 (http://www.speedwaygbarchive.co.uk/14issues/el14_issue29.pdf) as he didn’t ride in enough meetings in 2016 with him being brought in for the play offs.(https://britishspeedway.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/p23_issue_23.pdf)  He replaced the unfortunate Joonas Kylmakorpi who had increased his average for Wolves but stupidly on his part increased it to 7.06. (http://www.speedwaygbarchive.co.uk/files/downloads/el16_issue_25.pdf) This is when CVS ditched the poor lad in favour of the World Champion. No 8 point reassessments back then for GP men, even the world champion. Kylmakorpi wasn’t injured and the ringers rule was brought in the next season due to Wolves tactics. (The SCB website doesn’t offer archival information on past publications but evidence of the newly added ringer rule can be seen in the 2017 play off final where Wolves we’re not only denied the opportunity of signing Tai as a ringer again, they couldn’t even sign replacements for two injured heat leaders in Lindgren & Thorsell. This was and is ridiculous imo and as we have seen subsequently, rendered the tie a none even. http://www.speedwaygbarchive.co.uk/17results/wolverhampton_04.10.17_res.pdf)

Crowds continued to drop alarmingly in the UK. 

Edited by ouch

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Leicester have too

1 hour ago, ouch said:

His 7.03 average is from 2014 as he didn’t ride in enough meetings in 2016 with him being brought in for the play offs. He replaced the unfortunate Joonas Kylmakorpi who had increased his average for Wolves but stupidly on his part increased it to 7.06. This is when CVS ditched the poor lad in favour of the World Champion. No 8 point reassessments back then for GP men, even the world champion. Kylmakorpi wasn’t injured and the ringers rule was brought in the next season due to Wolves tactics. 

Crowds continued to drop alarmingly in the UK. 

Fed up of hearing such BS from that season even all these years on. The change was made well before the playoffs, if you don't believe me check speedway updates. Check the last 5 regular home league meetings and you will see Tai' s name listed as riding.

Kylmakoorpi had just come back from a nasty injury (yes there was an injury involved) and failed to score in consecutive meetings, prompting the change to ensure we made the playoffs.

If you're not sure of the facts, don't make it up!!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Fed up of hearing such BS from that season even all these years on. The change was made well before the playoffs, if you don't believe me check speedway updates. Check the last 5 regular home league meetings and you will see Tai' s name listed as riding.

Kylmakoorpi had just come back from a nasty injury (yes there was an injury involved) and failed to score in consecutive meetings, prompting the change to ensure we made the playoffs.

If you're not sure of the facts, don't make it up!!!!

Did Tai ride enough meetings in 2016 to gain a new average?

Was Joonas fit to ride in those consecutive meetings?

Was the ringer rule brought in for the 2017 season?

Just trying to get my facts straight. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance in answering these questions. 

• Like 2