British Speedway Forum
OdsalBoy

Sheffield Tigers 2023

On 8/7/2023 at 9:15 AM, mikebv said:

Can you make three changes this year? 

As many as you want or depends who asks. Both seem to apply this season.

On 8/7/2023 at 11:25 AM, ouch said:

His 7.03 average is from 2014 (http://www.speedwaygbarchive.co.uk/14issues/el14_issue29.pdf) as he didn’t ride in enough meetings in 2016 with him being brought in for the play offs.(https://britishspeedway.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/p23_issue_23.pdf)  He replaced the unfortunate Joonas Kylmakorpi who had increased his average for Wolves but stupidly on his part increased it to 7.06. (http://www.speedwaygbarchive.co.uk/files/downloads/el16_issue_25.pdf) This is when CVS ditched the poor lad in favour of the World Champion. No 8 point reassessments back then for GP men, even the world champion. Kylmakorpi wasn’t injured and the ringers rule was brought in the next season due to Wolves tactics. (The SCB website doesn’t offer archival information on past publications but evidence of the newly added ringer rule can be seen in the 2017 play off final where Wolves we’re not only denied the opportunity of signing Tai as a ringer again, they couldn’t even sign replacements for two injured heat leaders in Lindgren & Thorsell. This was and is ridiculous imo and as we have seen subsequently, rendered the tie a none even. http://www.speedwaygbarchive.co.uk/17results/wolverhampton_04.10.17_res.pdf)

Crowds continued to drop alarmingly in the UK. 

Some valid points however he wasn’t brought in for the play offs. He rode a month before the play offs started. Same as Hancock at Poole. All well and truly valid.

On 8/7/2023 at 1:34 PM, SUPERACE said:

Woffy has been great, but greatest ever British rider I'm not sure on that.  Most world titles yes but best isn't something that's clear cut.  Peter Collins for me would be above on that list as would Peter Craven (who would almost certainly added to his 2 world titles).  

That’s just opinions. Facts are he IS the most crowned English rider in history. 

On 8/7/2023 at 6:27 PM, SPEEDY69 said:

If you mean for Wolves then fine but disagree completely if you mean GB's greatest.

You can’t disagree with facts. He IS the most crowned English world champion in history. 

On 8/7/2023 at 6:47 PM, foreverblue said:

I expect cheering tonight if Tai takes a tumble!

Aces fans do like to cheer a rider falling. But then every club has that element too. 

14 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Some valid points however he wasn’t brought in for the play offs. He rode a month before the play offs started. Same as Hancock at Poole. All well and truly valid.

That’s just opinions. Facts are he IS the most crowned English rider in history. 

You can’t disagree with facts. He IS the most crowned English world champion in history. 

Aces fans do like to cheer a rider falling. But then every club has that element too. 

I'm not disagreeing with that, I disagree that he's the greatest GB rider in history - do you not understand the difference?

6 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I'm not disagreeing with that, I disagree that he's the greatest GB rider in history - do you not understand the difference?

Depends on how you define greatest I guess. If it’s on world title then Woffy is certainly in a league of his own. However if it’s on track craft, service to club,country & British speedway then there are plenty who are greater. Peter Collins for example or from my era Louis, Loram, Havelock, Screen are all ranked higher in my opinion.

If the rumour on the Leicester page comes to fruition (Robert Lambert in for Richard Lawson) that strengthens that team up.  Hopefully the Sheffield promotion are on the look out to strengthen our third heat leader position as it’s becoming more and more obvious that Adam Ellis’ form is continuing to drop, since start of 2022 season a 1.92 point drop in his average 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Allow me to clear this up once and for all. The most decorated British rider in terms of world championship honours is Peter Collins with ten. Tai has three. What may i ask is difficult to understand about that?. Three individual does in no way surpass ten combined, including a 1984 win with a team mate and fellow Mancunian. Tai bless him has won no other honours to boot.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I understand that’s your opinion. 

2 hours ago, one of clubs said:

Allow me to clear this up once and for all. The most decorated British rider in terms of world championship honours is Peter Collins with ten. Tai has three. What may i ask is difficult to understand about that?. Three individual does in no way surpass ten combined, including a 1984 win with a team mate and fellow Mancunian. Tai bless him has won no other honours to boot.

Haven’t you forgot Tai was part of the winning world pairs (nation) team?  so 4 if you want to count all titles.

The most decorated individual world champion in English and British history without question is Tai. 

4 minutes ago, DazS said:

British will be Ivan mauger:t:

World titles listed as New Zealander 

they are in the British empire.:cheers: I'm being pedantic, we used to rule the world you know.:rofl:

I can’t put my hand on the 2017 regs when the Tai ringer rule was first applied. I’d imagine they’d be similar to the 2018 regs that forbade any changes for fixtures after 15/08/2018. The play offs started over four weeks after this date on 17/09/2018. The initial Tai ringer rule was in connection with his signing in 2016 just three weeks before the play offs when they knew he couldn’t gain a new average and therefore be eligible to do it all over again the following year. Thankfully the powers that be saw sense and put a stop to such things. It’s crazy that in the intervening years the window between allowable team changes and play offs has shrunk making the Tai ringer rule almost redundant. 

11 minutes ago, ouch said:

I can’t put my hand on the 2017 regs when the Tai ringer rule was first applied. I’d imagine they’d be similar to the 2018 regs that forbade any changes for fixtures after 15/08/2018. The play offs started over four weeks after this date on 17/09/2018. The initial Tai ringer rule was in connection with his signing in 2016 just three weeks before the play offs when they knew he couldn’t gain a new average and therefore be eligible to do it all over again the following year. Thankfully the powers that be saw sense and put a stop to such things. It’s crazy that in the intervening years the window between allowable team changes and play offs has shrunk making the Tai ringer rule almost redundant. 

If I remember rightly it was no changes before 25% or after 75% of league meetings completed, which is roughly when Tai came in the previous year so not really a ringer rule, more of a benchmark.

By the way, Tai’s 1st home meeting in 2016 was 22nd August, playoff semi 1st leg 21st September, maths not your strong point or making it up to suit your agenda.

Edited by Call me wolfie

9 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

If I remember rightly it was no changes before 25% or after 75% of league meetings completed, which is roughly when Tai came in the previous year so not really a ringer rule, more of a benchmark.

By the way, Tai’s 1st home meeting in 2016 was 22nd August, playoff semi 1st leg 21st September, maths not your strong point or making it up to suit your agenda.

You don’t remember rightly as the 25/75 percent rule wasn’t around at the time and was introduced in 2020. 

Whilst you’re correct that the first play off meeting was 21/09/16, you’re forgetting that the cut off date for where we move from qualification period to play off period was a week before. The last meeting of the qualifying period was 16/09/16 (https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/speedway/14748998.chequered-flag-report-lakeside-hammers-58-swindon-robins-35/ ) Wolverhampton’s last qualifying meeting was 12/09/16 just three weeks after Tai’s first meeting back. I suppose I could have said Tai was signed three weeks before the play off qualification period ended but I didn’t think I needed to as I thought the term play offs covered this. 

Following his 2016 debut with the Wolves, Tai rode at Monmore on 2 further nights before their final qualifying meeting. 

6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Does anyone really care who rides for who and when.

It seems some do! Personally i think coming in to a team after the play offs have started should not happen but changing your team during the season is fine and I dont see why there should be any restrictions on that as long as its within the averages.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4BM said:

If the rumour on the Leicester page comes to fruition (Robert Lambert in for Richard Lawson) that strengthens that team up.  Hopefully the Sheffield promotion are on the look out to strengthen our third heat leader position as it’s becoming more and more obvious that Adam Ellis’ form is continuing to drop, since start of 2022 season a 1.92 point drop in his average 

Too late now, or a gamble on a foreign rider and hope it pays off like Peterborough, looks like when we stuck with Batchelor all season when he should have gone

• Thanks 1