British Speedway Forum
Argos

Peter Collins Book

3 hours ago, TonyMac said:

Reporter Claire Hannah's piece with Peter Collins will be on ITV Granada Reports, in the north-west region, from 6:29pm tonight (Friday, Dec 30).

An extended version of this interview will appear on Granada Report's website later. I'll post a link as soon as it's available.

Signed copies of PC's book can still be obtained from us at www.retro-speedway.com

Just watched it...

Superb....

• Like 1

Agree, a good interview and promotion for speedway.

Slowly working through the book, on page 365 now which is part way through one of the longer chapters

• Like 1

Great to see"pc" on the tv looking well,had the book a month aint going to read till feb on a beach in mexico :t:

• Like 1

I've just got to the chapter when Peter states that England Manager John Berry decided not to select Peter during the 1985 season. Having read John's excelent book there was a different twist if I recall. Peter had made it clear at the start of the season he didn't wish to be considered for selection but changed his mind at the time of the World Best Pairs? John, however, felt it unfair and stuck with his original choice of Carter & Tatum.

• Like 2

Having read the chapter in Peter's book about ex-riders visiting their track free of charge I have to agree with his views 100%. He goes into it in great detail and personally I don't see it as a problem and the initiative would only benefit the track involved with good PRO and supporter involvement. It's a shame that his friendship with Chris Morton appears to have been badly affected with events that the new Belle Vue and it's regime's policy adopted (no image of Peter Craven in the lounge dedicated to the great "Ace" beggars belief!). The talk of a museum within the new complex was also met with apathy apparently by the those in charge at the time. Ex- Cheetah, Mark Lemon, appears to follow the same directive and it's all very sad and helps creates animosity...no wonder speedway is in the state that it now appears to "enjoy".

I would be aghast if I thought that my own team expected the likes of Eddie Reeves, Rick Timmo, Gordon Kennett and Dag Lovaas ( yes that name again "Chunky") were expected to pay on entry to Cowley?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I would be aghast if I thought that my own team expected the likes of Eddie Reeves, Rick Timmo, Gordon Kennett and Dag Lovaas ( yes that name again "Chunky") were expected to pay on entry to Cowley?

Not sure they are expected to pay at the NSS. As far as I know they merely have to call up before hand to receive free entry.  Some of the ex BV riders are regularly seen at matches, especially Eric Broadbelt.  

I really enjoyed the PC book especially the early bits about him getting started but he clearly is very down on the people who brought us the best track and stadium in the country which is a pity. 

• Like 2

On 12/27/2022 at 4:28 PM, TonyMac said:

Aren't all autobiographies by definition a one-sided take.

But, as I mentioned previously, much of what PC has written about respective BV managements is supported in print by George Carswell, who was financially involved under all regimes from John Perrin to David Gordon/Chris Morton.

Believe me, PC didn't decide to write his story for money. If so, he would have done it many years ago, when speedway had a far bigger following and more fans from his peak racing era were still around.

I accept your view that riders know the risks when they begin and that they go into it hoping to earn a living. And PC did very well out of speedway - no doubt - as did the sport out of him. But, come on, some goodwill from all tracks towards their past employees wouldn't go amiss - and wouldn't cost them a penny.

To make ex-riders pay (or ask) to get in is, of course, not a crime and it's every promoter's right to dictate his own policy. But it's churlish, mean-spirited and short-sighted when tracks need all the good PR they can muster in these financially ominous times. 

Hmm. I think you are being a tad disingenuous. To be really clear, I'm talking about you making a few quid in not ideal circumstances. Not PC.

Look, I think your contribution to the nostalgia speedway market has been very good and I've been a happy customer. I think the Kenny Carter and John Berry books stand up against any speedway book ever. And Backtrack had some good stuff before running out of steam. But, I also think the use of a lot of footage in the DVDs is a bit naughty....I assume ITV Sport and BBC Sport haven't handed over distribution rights to these?

I think producing a PC book is also a bit naughty post-brain injury. As a consequence, sadly, I don't think he is a reliable source and his words against others should not be put into print unchallenged. The Belle Vue management past and present are really in a no-win situation, there is nothing to be gained for them coming out against PC, a bona-fide club legend.

Equally, for this particular issue of all ex-riders getting free admission, how can any speedway club operating on fine margins (in realty loss making) start ushering 200+ folk through the gate for free each week. I have long worked in PR and there aint any mileage out of Barry Ayres* heading in free every week. It means very little to the 50+ year olds who might remember him....and literally nothing to any new crowds they need to draw in.

I'm not surprised a PC book has been rolled out. He is a name that still means something to people, hence this thread. But given the health circumstances, I don't agree with it.

* sorry to Barry Ayres if he reads this! He had a crack, fair play. But wasn't up to it. I could have chosen from many others. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, falcace said:

Hmm. I think you are being a tad disingenuous. To be really clear, I'm talking about you making a few quid in not ideal circumstances. Not PC.

Look, I think your contribution to the nostalgia speedway market has been very good and I've been a happy customer. I think the Kenny Carter and John Berry books stand up against any speedway book ever. And Backtrack had some good stuff before running out of steam. But, I also think the use of a lot of footage in the DVDs is a bit naughty....I assume ITV Sport and BBC Sport haven't handed over distribution rights to these?

I think producing a PC book is also a bit naughty post-brain injury. As a consequence, sadly, I don't think he is a reliable source and his words against others should not be put into print unchallenged. The Belle Vue management past and present are really in a no-win situation, there is nothing to be gained for them coming out against PC, a bona-fide club legend.

Equally, for this particular issue of all ex-riders getting free admission, how can any speedway club operating on fine margins (in realty loss making) start ushering 200+ folk through the gate for free each week. I have long worked in PR and there aint any mileage out of Barry Ayres* heading in free every week. It means very little to the 50+ year olds who might remember him....and literally nothing to any new crowds they need to draw in.

I'm not surprised a PC book has been rolled out. He is a name that still means something to people, hence this thread. But given the health circumstances, I don't agree with it.

* sorry to Barry Ayres if he reads this! He had a crack, fair play. But wasn't up to it. I could have chosen from many others. 

Personally I don't think that it would be anything near that figure. Take Belle Vue's record breaking Triple Crown winners of 1972, for example (as Peter highlights in his book), where only three riders are still with us. My team's starting line up (Oxford) in my first year attending (also 1972) only two riders have survived and one, Rick Timmo, lives in NZ so is unlikely to visit regularly.  With many teams traditionally having a very cosmopolitan make up the likelyhood of there being a great influx of "freebies" is negligible in my view and those who were domiclied in the UK during their riding careers how many used to live within easy distance of the track they represented including the British home-based riders? When Oxford ruled during the eighties we had Nielsen, Rasmussen and Sorensen (now all living back in Denmark), Cox (Thailand I believe?), Taylor (Mildenhall),  Grahame (Birmingham), Dugard (Brighton) Butler (Australia) with only Nigel De'Ath and Jon Surman still living locally (?) and therefore wouldn't be visiting Cowley on anything like a regular basis and dare I suggest most teams would have similar examples.

Of course it will become even less of an issue in the future with teams now filled with foreigners and the loss of tracks ever increasing.

However if the issue was to allow riders free entry to any track then that's an entirely different matter altogether but I don't think that what's been implied?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, falcace said:

That's the 2nd time you've brought up Peter's brain injury, very unfair of you in my opinion.  I too suffered brain haemorrhage in 2010, August 1st as it happens, which I think is about a month or so before PC had his, I underwent 7hrs of surgery at North Staffs, had platinum coiling inserted, so a fairly serious injury I'm sure you'd agree.  Within 2 months I returned to work, in the insolvency industry, so fairly high pressure and no room for error, yet I managed fine, continued in the role for another 4 years with no issues related to the injury.

So I have to wonder what makes you think that Peter should not be taken at his word?  

As for your comments to Tony Mac, well if it weren't for him we would probably never have got to read in such interesting detail about Peter's early life and career, I found it just about the best speedway book I've read and I've read most of them.

Backtrack- well it was bound to run out of steam since it was dedicated to such a short period in the grand scheme of the sport.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, nw42 said:

That's the 2nd time you've brought up Peter's brain injury, very unfair of you in my opinion.  I too suffered brain haemorrhage in 2010, August 1st as it happens, which I think is about a month or so before PC had his, I underwent 7hrs of surgery at North Staffs, had platinum coiling inserted, so a fairly serious injury I'm sure you'd agree.  Within 2 months I returned to work, in the insolvency industry, so fairly high pressure and no room for error, yet I managed fine, continued in the role for another 4 years with no issues related to the injury.

So I have to wonder what makes you think that Peter should not be taken at his word?  

As for your comments to Tony Mac, well if it weren't for him we would probably never have got to read in such interesting detail about Peter's early life and career, I found it just about the best speedway book I've read and I've read most of them.

Backtrack- well it was bound to run out of steam since it was dedicated to such a short period in the grand scheme of the sport.

...there were still many rider interviews I would have enjoyed reading. The likes of Tommy Knudsen, Jimmy Nilsen and Per Jonsson but, yes, I understand the reasoning behind the dis-continuation but a massive hole in my reading nevertheless.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Personally I don't think that it would be anything near that figure. Take Belle Vue's record breaking Triple Crown winners of 1972, for example (as Peter highlights in his book), where only three riders are still with us. My team's starting line up (Oxford) in my first year attending (also 1972) only two riders have survived and one, Rick Timmo, lives in NZ so is unlikely to visit regularly.  With many teams traditionally having a very cosmopolitan make up the likelyhood of there being a great influx of "freebies" is negligible in my view and those who were domiclied in the UK during their riding careers how many used to live within easy distance of the track they represented including the British home-based riders? When Oxford ruled during the eighties we had Nielsen, Rasmussen and Sorensen (now all living back in Denmark), Cox (Thailand I believe?), Taylor (Mildenhall),  Grahame (Birmingham), Dugard (Brighton) Butler (Australia) with only Nigel De'Ath and Jon Surman still living locally (?) and therefore wouldn't be visiting Cowley on anything like a regular basis and dare I suggest most teams would have similar examples.

Of course it will become even less of an issue in the future with teams now filled with foreigners and the loss of tracks ever increasing.

However if the issue was to allow riders free entry to any track then that's an entirely different matter altogether but I don't think that what's been implied?

...as a postscript apparently according to PC ex ACU referees are entitled to free entry at any track which strikes as "double standards'" to me?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nw42 said:

Well said, nw42. You wrote what I was trying to put together. Sorry you suffered, must have been very worrying, glad to hear it ultimately not affected you too much.

Listening to his interview on tv I think Peter has done very well. As I read his problem was acted on quickly as Angela had to go back to the house for something she had forgot, found Peter not well, and got medical attention to Peter quickly. The quicker the medics can act the better the likely outcome will be.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...as a postscript apparently according to PC ex ACU referees are entitled to free entry at any track which strikes as "double standards'" to me?

It's a fact confirmed by Graham Brodie, the UK's former No.1 referee.

• Thanks 1