British Speedway Forum
Argos

Peter Collins Book

25 minutes ago, JC! said:

Exactly the same principle applies, why should a business allow someone in for free because they used to have a (paid) position for the sport's regulator. 

...and yet ex-referees are apparently able to gain free access to any track?

Edited by steve roberts

Yes. Invite them all to the pensioners Xmas party and that is all :D

6 hours ago, Vic Meldrew said:

Does anyone know the details of the conversation between PC and Steve at the book signing?  Did Steve appear to be the agent provocatuer at the meeting?

There are, of course, two sides to a dispute and we have only heard one side at the present time.

We do not know the nature of PC's brain injury - it does not seem to have affected his memory judging by his recollections in his book  which is after all his version of events as are all autobiographies.

Free admissions for all ex-riders should be provided without the need for any "red tape".

Exactly! Prince Harry is a perfect example of true 'his version of events'!  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and yet ex-referees are apparently able to gain free access to any track?

I don't make the rules.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

....yes but what's your views on all ex-ACU Referees getting free passes to all tracks?

Presume it means there might be someone in the crowd who could takeover if the nominated ref fails to make it to the track?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Presume it means there might be someone in the crowd who could takeover if the nominated ref fails to make it to the track?

Good point (and you might be saying something 'tongue in cheek'), but in reality, an 'ex-ref' would have issues with liability insurance, I'm sure! :unsure:

1 hour ago, JC! said:

I don't make the rules.

...and yet just shows the irregularity and inconsistances as regards "freebies" and some people's perceptions.

Edited by steve roberts

37 minutes ago, Lefty said:

..."Is there a doctor in the house?"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and yet just shows the irregularity and inconsistances as regards "freebies".

Who said it didn't? Not sure I understand the point you are trying to make.

My position is absolutely clear - I don't think anyone should be guaranteed entry to spectate because of their previous employment. They should only get free entry if they deliver equivalent or more value than the entry fee.

If a promotion wants to let people in for free it's their call, but it should not be guaranteed or, as appears in some cases, demanded. 

If former referees get in for free, I would suggest the policy should be reviewed on a regular basis, based on business goals and strategy. I can't see how their attendance would add value personally.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced there's any truth in this rumour about all ex-referees being allowed free admission into any meeting they want, but I'd be pretty sure that an ex-referee is not allowed to bring along 100+ of his mates, most of whom have never refereed a meeting in their lives.  That would put them on a par with Collins.

And I'm pretty sure no ex-referee has ever scrawled a vindictive message defacing the property of a dying man who had only tried to encourage him along to meetings.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, JC! said:

Who said it didn't? Not sure I understand the point you are trying to make.

My position is absolutely clear - I don't think anyone should be guaranteed entry to spectate because of their previous employment. They should only get free entry if they deliver equivalent or more value than the entry fee.

If a promotion wants to let people in for free it's their call, but it should not be guaranteed or, as appears in some cases, demanded. 

If former referees get in for free, I would suggest the policy should be reviewed on a regular basis, based on business goals and strategy. I can't see how their attendance would add value personally.

...the point I'm making is that riders gaining "freebies" has created an emotive discussion/difference of opinion whereby referees gaining same doesn't appear to have raised the same strong emotion generally.

I get what you are saying and understand your personal postion on the subject some of which I endorse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DontMeetYourHero said:

I'm not convinced there's any truth in this rumour about all ex-referees being allowed free admission into any meeting they want, but I'd be pretty sure that an ex-referee is not allowed to bring along 100+ of his mates, most of whom have never refereed a meeting in their lives.  That would put them on a par with Collins.

And I'm pretty sure no ex-referee has ever scrawled a vindictive message defacing the property of a dying man who had only tried to encourage him along to meetings.

...Tony Mac confirmed in an earlier post on this thread and was also raised in PC's book.

As the publisher of Peter Collins' autobiography, he asked me to post the following apology. A copy of which has also been sent directly to Mia Casey.
-----------------------------------------------------

January 31, 2023

AN APOLOGY

I would like to sincerely apologise to Mia Casey, daughter of the late Steve Casey, who died recently of cancer, for the extra distress I have caused her over the personal message I wrote in my autobiography to her dad at an event held in Glossop on November 3rd last year.

My words were regrettably written in a moment of impulse amid a feud with the Belle Vue management that has been ongoing for the last 35 years, and I’m sorry to Mia for any upset caused.

I have had no contact with Steve, or any other member of the Belle Vue management set-up, for a number of years and I was totally unaware of his cancer diagnosis before I signed his book.

Sorry, Mia, for your loss and for the extra grief that this has caused you and your family at this sad time.

Yours sincerely,
Peter Collins

• Like 2

The publicity must've been harming book sales.

MASSIVE FONT  (The sign of an egotist who thinks he's more important that anyone else)

Edited by DontMeetYourHero

9 minutes ago, DontMeetYourHero said:

The publicity must've been harming book sales.

MASSIVE FONT  (The sign of an egotist who thinks he's more important that anyone else)

Or just accept it for what it is, a heartfelt apology. 

• Like 3