British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Poole v Leicester v Poole play off final 21/22 October

46 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I saw Buster totally relay the track at Lynn from a total quagmire to raceable in 2 hours back in the 90s, well before the new clay surface. 

You just need the right tools and, wait for it, the right setup :D

That would have been 98... meeting started at 9.45pm I seem to recall. Witches hardly made a start all night and still thrashed the compost corner lot :drink:

• Like 1

I feel so sorry for the Poole fans who were travelling to this, but it’s now becoming a farce there has been some terrible weather in the south west lately and around the Poole area but they still managed to get there meeting on I can’t believe I’m saying this but other posters have already put this so here goes Leicester should have put the big blade on last week to get rid of the slop,not wait until now it’s a farce the two best teams and it’s looking like one of them won’t have there no 1 as he’s gone home not his fault it’s the farce of the bspa having the showpiece meetings so late in the year there must be a way of organising the season so this doesn’t happen again now I’m no Poole fan but I think this should be last chance saloon for Leicester if it’s not run next week it should be awarded to Poole as this could keep happening week on week a line has to be drawn somewhere as for the farce of a jubilee cup you might as well bin that now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Comets got fined for not completing fixtures before official season end of october 31!  And we were only 5 races short!

That's because Godfrey and co did not like the comets :blink:

• Like 2

Today the 30th October I think in the 3 levels of speedway 5 trophies still to be decided, it's a totally joke situation and as far as I'm aware no statement from the clowns (bspa) who run !!! the sport . In the future, if speedway has a future?  This must not happen again, play offs and finals must be run in September end off.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It seems I have upset a few on here for posting it was off as soon as I heard. Thought the point of a forum was to inform. Should I have just kept it to myself until the news was posted on official channels? Or should I give out the info so that people can change their,plans for the day?

October is generally a dry month with cooler conditions. This year is has been exceptionally warmer with a low pressure system stuck to the west of the U.K. due to the position of the jet stream, and this is feeding moist air up over the U.K. and with it setting off heavy rain over the country. This happening is quite unusual but not rare. It still doesn’t look like this weather pattern is breaking down soon.

Nothing wrong with what you've done, as long as it was accurate (and it looks like it was!).

The annoyance is that it came from someone in Dorset (and no, I've nothing against Dorset, the people, towns, villages, countryside, beer,....)

• Like 1

Leicester should be apologising to the fans of both Poole and Leicester for this absolute **** show.

If the track was graded off early last week after the initial call off the meeting would have gone ahead! Taking it down to the base taking off all the slop, leave it to breath, if it rained again it would have simply run off (as long as their drains are decent to take the water away) the rain wouldn’t of remained in the track as no material for it to stick too. A day before the meeting start laying the new surface, let’s face it buster has done it in 2 hours before so proves can be done with good planning and correct machinery - again no one else’s fault but Leicester for not organising this sooner. They will be hit on the gate now as less will travel with no coach on offer.

I would imagine now the BSPA will be monitoring track works but they should have been doing this a week ago.

3 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

I would imagine now the BSPA will be monitoring track works but they should have been doing this a week ago.

The BSPL were soon on Newcastle's back after the Glasgow abandonment earlier this season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neila said:

Today the 30th October I think in the 3 levels of speedway 5 trophies still to be decided, it's a totally joke situation and as far as I'm aware no statement from the clowns (bspa) who run !!! the sport . In the future, if speedway has a future?  This must not happen again, play offs and finals must be run in September end off.

It's basically a bad failure of risk management. If you do proper risk management, you usually avoid these occurrences. At its simplest level in this case, it boils down to "avoidance of the possibility for league championship playoff finals from having to take place during the second half of October". 

In most organisations, proper risk management is implemented in response to an occurrence. Even the Tory party (just about) managed to do it with the ejection of Truss and installation of a replacement. The BSPL seem incapable.

14 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Leicester should be apologising to the fans of both Poole and Leicester for this absolute **** show.

If the track was graded off early last week after the initial call off the meeting would have gone ahead! Taking it down to the base taking off all the slop, leave it to breath, if it rained again it would have simply run off (as long as their drains are decent to take the water away) the rain wouldn’t of remained in the track as no material for it to stick too. A day before the meeting start laying the new surface, let’s face it buster has done it in 2 hours before so proves can be done with good planning and correct machinery - again no one else’s fault but Leicester for not organising this sooner. They will be hit on the gate now as less will travel with no coach on offer.

Sounds like the poor sods working on the track were trying to do the equivalent of emptying a swimming pool with a teaspoon.

• Like 3

Judging what’s now moving up the country, it would never have been on even if the track was good to go. Very heavy rain due to hit the area in the next couple of hours.

For me it’s another nail in the coffin of the bspa promoters should not be running it as bias will always come to the top you can’t help it you will always want what’s best for your own club an independent body should be running the sport maybe just maybe it would run slightly better if that goon from Scunthorpe was given his marching orders as he’s hardly improved the sport give someone else a go for gods sake.

• Like 1

I've been out for a walk this morning, it's over 24 hours since we've had any rain here in Leicester and some of the footpaths are still damp, despite a breeze and sunshine yesterday, so goodness knows what soil/shale is like. 

It's over a month since the equinox, important meetings should just not be being held at this time of year, it's a simple as that I'm afraid. 

It doesn't matter how many times you dig the track up and relay it, if it gets rained on there's just not enough time for it to dry at this time of year without a sustained dry period of weather

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Can't see it being run on Saturday. There'll be fireworks if it is.......

On and off the track :rofl:

Lots of track prep. experts now joining in on the forum :-)

Lets not divert from the knub of the problem..... that the clubs' management cannot collectively agree amongst themselves to get these  "finals" completed  before the last day of the season in early winter.

The fact that this applies to all 3 divisions shares the blame across the entire UK speedway promoters scene. They are all a little bit useless.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mike0310 said:

I feel so sorry for the Poole fans who were travelling to this, but it’s now becoming a farce there has been some terrible weather in the south west lately and around the Poole area but they still managed to get there meeting on I can’t believe I’m saying this but other posters have already put this so here goes Leicester should have put the big blade on last week to get rid of the slop,not wait until now it’s a farce the two best teams and it’s looking like one of them won’t have there no 1 as he’s gone home not his fault it’s the farce of the bspa having the showpiece meetings so late in the year there must be a way of organising the season so this doesn’t happen again now I’m no Poole fan but I think this should be last chance saloon for Leicester if it’s not run next week it should be awarded to Poole as this could keep happening week on week a line has to be drawn somewhere as for the farce of a jubilee cup you might as well bin that now.

Well said Mike,100% agree with you