British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Poole v Leicester v Poole play off final 21/22 October

1 hour ago, FishersGate said:

After 25 years of closure the majority of the fans are just happy to be back! 

True, and add a 69 season record without a single league title - there have never been great expectations of victory.

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

Well done Poole...

Being the only team out of the two to ride at their home track in a two legged final, with Kings Lynn's No1 riding for you, (at Kings Lynn), must have put you at a huge disadvantage, but you came through magnificently..

Yet another trophy for the very successful outfit from the South Coast...

That's trophy153 in the past decade isnt it?

Be great to see you in the Premiership next season after your deserved promotion...

Hang On. Apologies...

Congratulations to Poole on your 85th title, but even greater congratulations to the runners up, Leicseter, on your "promotion" to the Premiership..

All very confusing this...

Lets hope next season the Leicester area has lots of warm dry summer evenings, (unlike obviously it suffered this year if appears), meaning they can complete their home fixtures, (and this time at their own track)...

Seriously though, with a crowd mentioned at circa 600 (for the "flagship final" in the 2nd tier), it was probably a very fitting "epitaph" to another season of Speedway in the UK..

You only had to see the lack of anger from Leicester's fans to the loss of home advantage in the final, which meant basically fighting with one broken arm, and the other tied behind your back, given how fundamental to a result home track advantage is in Speedway, to see the abject "indifference" that so many have for the actual competitions themselves and the results they deliver...

Which is sad, but down to nothing more than the way the sport is ran in the UK unfortunately...

With that lack of "emotional involvement" always holding the sport back if it wants to continue in a "Team Concept"...

(Imagjne in Poland the reaction from fans if something similar happened?):D

Congratulations to Poole, who do get a fair amount of stick, but you cannot knock the professionalism and success of the business they run, and their fans on here are always good value (and provide plenty of ammo for the rest to fire back at them)..:D

Let's hope the lessons learned will be heeded, but...

That does seem to be the "mantra" at the end of most seasons sadly doesnt it? 

Hopefully next season, the least that happens, is that the play off finals get held at the actual tracks of the finalists and all the other competitions ran actually get completed...

Surely not too much to ask, and expect, that is it?

Goodbye 2022...

Roll on 2023...

A bright new dawn maybe? Let's hope so...

It would be great to finally see such an incredibly exciting spectacle get the infrastructure around it, that it so deserves, to make it more popular and look more professional...

I can imagine crowds in Poland being 20% down this year, or was that reality. Maybe it was due to the 'team concept'?

• Like 1

I noticed Richard Lawson far from a gating tart last night 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, arnieg said:

Hard to see what track set up would have helped Leicester. Poole were simply better.

And as for Lawson's home track knowledge benefitting the Pirates, the same could be said of Rich Worrall [2022] and Connor Mountain [2021] on the Lions side.

Agree completely, the simple fact is after heat 3 Leicester never won a race until it was all over in heat 14. If you don't win a race you can't get a heat advantage. Not enough race winners particularly the heat leaders

12 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Lots of bleating from the Poole lot that the Thompons were dirty on Kemp but didn't see it myself, was a good, hard race.

I don't think they were dirty, just a hard race where both wanted to win badly, drew was missing about 8 spokes from his front wheel when he came in which kind of explains the last lap

A long day for travelling Poole fans who made the arduous journey to Kings Lynn yesterday, but worth every mile. An early start to the meeting and few delays after heat one meant we were able to celebrate and leave the stadium a little after 9pm, meaning I was back at home in Poole by 1am. 

What was surprising was the similar size to the Leicester and Poole fans in attendance, considering the distances having to travel. Only about 5-600 there with the difference being made up by the local supporters. A real shame but not unexpected that the crowd was so low. But a special mention to Buster who laid on a proper racetrack that gave the riders the opportunity to race and pass. Best I have ever seen it and harks back to the racing of the 80’s videos on YouTube.

Would Leicester have won the title if the meeting taken place at their home track? I don’t think so. Perhaps I am bound to say that but the Poole team would simply not be denied last night. There was utter determination from the Poole riders and after about heat 7 the Leicester riders heads dropped. 

Special mention for Richard Lawson who shared his knowledge of the track with setups and on the track walk pointing out all the racing lines. As for the Cooks, both on their first visit, astounding to be honest. Ben Cooks double pass of Dan Thompson and home track rider Richie Worrall in heat 6 was quite incredible, then repeated in heat 8 and 15.

And let’s not forget Middlo, who showed why he is the best in the business. Another title to add to the many. Top bloke as well.

I think next season Poole will retain two of the three heat leaders with Ben Cook coming in as third heat leader and Zack as second string. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevehone said:

I think the stuffing was knocked out of Leicester after being 10 points up down at Poole and still losing by 8 .. gonna hit the confidence.

impressed with Poole winning league and cup with the same 7 riders that started the season, no mean feat these days

They've been VERY LUCKY to have the samd riders all season ...... I'm glad for the riders that they've not been injured ....

11 minutes ago, wtf said:

I don't think they were dirty, just a hard race where both wanted to win badly, drew was missing about 8 spokes from his front wheel when he came in which kind of explains the last lap

Drew has to learn to cope with hard racing, he totally lost his rubbish, acted like a spoilt brat  leaving his bike on track!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

I noticed Richard Lawson far from a gating tart last night 

Oh hurrah :)

1 hour ago, FishersGate said:

After 25 years of closure the majority of the fans are just happy to be back! 

Totally get that but when you come up against a club like Poole grrrrrr .... grow some horns xx

2 minutes ago, Trees said:

Drew has to learn to cope with hard racing, he totally lost his rubbish, acted like a spoilt brat  leaving his bike on track!

He's always been a bad loser, right back to NDL days.

He's got great ability but his problems are in his head and understanding where his limitattions are and not having false or raised expectations.

Fear he's now in a viscious circle of having unattainable expectation of himself, leading to frustration and then it all gets too much for him to process.

At Poole he's had excellent mentors on and off the track but it hasn't worked for him there as it should have. His strop last night in Heat 14 was bad enough, to then act like he did whilst his team mates were celebrating was contemptuous really. Showing disappointment is one thing if its done at the right time but that was n't the time nor the place.

Not sure where he goes from here, doubtful if he'll get another PL chance in 2023 and he'll almost certainly be looking for another CL Club. 

Starting to look like another Bickley. 

27 minutes ago, HGould said:

He's always been a bad loser, right back to NDL days.

He's got great ability but his problems are in his head and understanding where his limitattions are and not having false or raised expectations.

Fear he's now in a viscious circle of having unattainable expectation of himself, leading to frustration and then it all gets too much for him to process.

At Poole he's had excellent mentors on and off the track but it hasn't worked for him there as it should have. His strop last night in Heat 14 was bad enough, to then act like he did whilst his team mates were celebrating was contemptuous really. Showing disappointment is one thing if its done at the right time but that was n't the time nor the place.

Not sure where he goes from here, doubtful if he'll get another PL chance in 2023 and he'll almost certainly be looking for another CL Club. 

Starting to look like another Bickley. 

What a night and well done to the Pirates! The travel up was worth every mile. Like Steve said earlier, back home by 1pm so not bad at all.

Echo the comments on Drew, what was he thinking! After heat 12 he was the only one not on the track celebrating with the TEAM and to make it worse after heat 15 when medals where being handed out he wasn’t even on the track at that point, the lad needs to grow up and fast. He may never win another team title so he should have been celebrating and enjoying the experience. Don’t want him back at Poole in 2023 and clearly I think his attitude last night pretty much confirmed that.

anyway what a night you mighty Pirates!! 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

A long day for travelling Poole fans who made the arduous journey to Kings Lynn yesterday, but worth every mile. An early start to the meeting and few delays after heat one meant we were able to celebrate and leave the stadium a little after 9pm, meaning I was back at home in Poole by 1am. 

What was surprising was the similar size to the Leicester and Poole fans in attendance, considering the distances having to travel. Only about 5-600 there with the difference being made up by the local supporters. A real shame but not unexpected that the crowd was so low. But a special mention to Buster who laid on a proper racetrack that gave the riders the opportunity to race and pass. Best I have ever seen it and harks back to the racing of the 80’s videos on YouTube.

Would Leicester have won the title if the meeting taken place at their home track? I don’t think so. Perhaps I am bound to say that but the Poole team would simply not be denied last night. There was utter determination from the Poole riders and after about heat 7 the Leicester riders heads dropped. 

Special mention for Richard Lawson who shared his knowledge of the track with setups and on the track walk pointing out all the racing lines. As for the Cooks, both on their first visit, astounding to be honest. Ben Cooks double pass of Dan Thompson and home track rider Richie Worrall in heat 6 was quite incredible, then repeated in heat 8 and 15.

And let’s not forget Middlo, who showed why he is the best in the business. Another title to add to the many. Top bloke as well.

I think next season Poole will retain two of the three heat leaders with Ben Cook coming in as third heat leader and Zack as second string. 

It was a dominant Poole performance.Lawson was impressive.

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

True, and add a 69 season record without a single league title - there have never been great expectations of victory.

Exactly so reaching the final was a bonus . My dad can't believe that were actually decent . He says leicester were always one the worst teams ever in British speedway years ago so he's still in shock 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Depending on how they calculate the final averages and team building limit, Zach could still start as a reserve?! What a boost that could be......

• Haha 1