British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Poole v Leicester v Poole play off final 21/22 October

17 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

I would prefer top flight, if as rumoured the points limit in the champ is being reduced to 38! Why keep watering the product down year on year. Step back up get Holder boys back, Brady and Nic, got the making of a great team! 

At what additional cost though? An extra 30% in rider and related costs?!  How much would admission prices increase as well as being on an 'off' racenight?!

Not as clear cut as it appears.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

At what additional cost though? An extra 30% in rider and related costs?!  How much would admission prices increase as well as being on an 'off' racenight?!

Not as clear cut as it appears.

I personally think and speaking to sponsors, one I do a lot of work for is certainly backing the club well, compared when we stepped down I feel the commercial support we have, who returned or new to the club has put us in a better place. Obviously I don’t know the ins and outs of the accounts but I would surprised if compared to 2019 the club isn’t on a level playing field. 

Edited by Pirates Of Poole

30 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

I would prefer top flight, if as rumoured the points limit in the champ is being reduced to 38! Why keep watering the product down year on year. Step back up get Holder boys back, Brady and Nic, got the making of a great team! 

Be quite expensive if people don't attend though. Tbh I was losing interest in 2019 and back enjoying it again with the Champ racing. 

• Like 2

Just now, Pirates Of Poole said:

I personally think and speaking to sponsors, one I do a lot of work for is certainly backing the club well, compared when we stepped down I feel the commercial support we who have returned or new to the club has put us in a better place. Obviously I don’t know the ins and outs of the accounts but I would surprised if compared to 2019 the club isn’t on a level playing field. 

Being on a level playing field at Championship level!!!!

Prem clubs already charge from £19 to £22 for adult admission (25 for a grandstand seat at BV!). With the extra financial pressures on everyone's budget, I think it would be a very brave decision to enter into anything new with substantial additional costs - and no guarantee of better racing!! Just my opinion as one of the sponsors.........

• Like 2

Out of interest why does Thursdays not Wednesdays make such a difference to the attendances?

42 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Out of interest why does Thursdays not Wednesdays make such a difference to the attendances?

Habit. People in the area know Wednesday is speedway day. It breaks up the week. However, meetings held on Fridays always seem to attract a very good crowd as kids are off the next day. Expect the place to be packed for the first leg.

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 5:59 PM, Pirates Of Poole said:

1) to make it cheaper so the likes of Eastbourne or Workington would join?

2) to spread the top riders around so the likes of Birmingham & Newcastle being far weaker doesn't happen again?

3) to help the best NL riders step up?

4) to have a bigger gap between Prem & Champ and a smaller gap between Champ & NL?

5) to encourage clubs like Leicester, Poole & Glasgow to step up?

Tbh a lower points limit isn't needed so much for next season if the Champ are missing 2 more teams, meaning the top riders could get spread round more evenly!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 3:59 PM, Skidder1 said:

Poole stage the first leg on Friday 21st and Leicester the 2nd leg the following day Saturday 22nd October.

When they come to the tapes at Poole on the 21st it will have been four weeks since the Lions last rode as a team whilst during the same period Pirates will have had 5 fixtures. 
Whilst appreciating that the Lions Riders will have ridden in a few Premiership & NDL fixtures for other teams (which as we all know none speedway folk find difficult to comprehend) not being together as a team for such a long period of time will be a handicap come the first leg & something that favors Poole in being able to gain a decent first leg advantage. 
Let's hope this aspect doesn't greatly impact on the "occasion" - but it will most probably do so.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

When they come to the tapes at Poole on the 21st it will have been four weeks since the Lions last rode as a team whilst during the same period Pirates will have had 5 fixtures. 
Whilst appreciating that the Lions Riders will have ridden in a few Premiership & NDL fixtures for other teams (which as we all know none speedway folk find difficult to comprehend) not being together as a team for such a long period of time will be a handicap come the first leg & something that favors Poole in being able to gain a decent first leg advantage. 
Let's hope this aspect doesn't greatly impact on the "occasion" - but it will most probably do so.

This has been a massive factor over the last couple of months IMO. Certainly not Poole's fault in any way but not good for the integrity of the competitions.

Fixtures need to be much, much better in their planning across all leagues in 2023.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

This has been a massive factor over the last couple of months IMO. Certainly not Poole's fault in any way but not good for the integrity of the competitions.

Fixtures need to be much, much better in their planning across all leagues in 2023.

We say that every year though. In the last two season the gap between fixtures for some teams seems even worse!

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

If only the weather and availability of tracks could be planned the same way.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

If only the weather and availability of tracks could be planned the same way.

You can't plan the weather, surely that's the main reason to try and get fixtures done earlier?

And if Glasgow and Leicesters tracks weren't available in Aug and Sept then fair enough but I doubt it very much.

Perhaps both Glasgow and Leicester could plan their fixtures better so there’s no long gap? We never seem to have this issue at Poole. 

On any average season each club would lose a couple of meetings due to the elements. But many clubs front load their season so by the end of May over half the season has gone. Poole on the other hand try to plan their season so that every Wednesday in the summer months has racing. Add in some success and we get a meeting nearly every week until the middle/end of October.

Promotions need to plan their season out so there’s a steady flow throughout.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Perhaps both Glasgow and Leicester could plan their fixtures better so there’s no long gap? We never seem to have this issue at Poole. 

On any average season each club would lose a couple of meetings due to the elements. But many clubs front load their season so by the end of May over half the season has gone. Poole on the other hand try to plan their season so that every Wednesday in the summer months has racing. Add in some success and we get a meeting nearly every week until the middle/end of October.

Always easier to plan YOUR season when you have a promoter on the mc,then teams like Glasgow have to fit in around what's best for them, clubs don't plan the fixtures the bspl do.

43 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I think your saying here that its Poole's fault that the season's not finished yet!