British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2023

2 hours ago, jbell1995 said:

He’s a trier and goes well at home, it’s a no-brainer 

Most of the season at reserve , hopeless away and couldn't pass a snail with arthritis , saddled with an average over 5, abs awful signing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

This is where the lack of brain cells on the management committee becomes so evident. 

10 teams requiring 70 riders I can see 38 or 39 points working

8 teams (no Lions or Monarchs) requires 56 riders. 

IF the limit is too low it'll end up with a host of 5 to 7 point riders on the shelf and a host of poor and unprepared riders on 2 points rushed in to fit the limit. 

Surely they will need to look at available riders from top to bottom and then reset a limit to match number required with any surplus at the bottom of the average scale not in the middle. 

That way you build quality and incentiise those lower down to improve. 

You then assess ndl the same way so that those not in CL fill NDL and reduce NDL options for those who've milked it for too long.. Clegg, Morley etc

I agree with what you are saying, until you know how many teams your league have you cannot set a points limit! Promoters think reducing the limit reduces cost, can you work that one out.  

I will say this for the umpteenth time the U.K. has an extreme rider shortage & the Promoters just ignore the problem. If 3 of the current double-up riders were to retire this winter that will be an additional 6 team places to fill.

• Like 3

Morley has had some good meetings at home no doubt, but his away form is awful and on that average it's a no brainer to avoid! Alfie is much a better rider overall and on a much better average too.

Gilkes would be my first name on the team sheet if he's fit. He'd be a steal on that average. I've heard Richie Worrall is bound for Plymouth and Barker, if not banned, is almost certain to be back. I'd have MPT back in heartbeat on his average and Alfie was coming along really nicely, especially away, before his injury. 

1. R Worrall - 8.30 (assuming 2.5% reduction)

2. Barker - 7.80 (assuming 2.5% reduction)

3. MPT - 6.76

4. Gilkes - 4.55 (assuming 2.5% reduction)

5. Alfie - 4.29 (assuming 2.5% reduction)

= 31.70

It would then depend on the points limit on the last two, if 38 is the limit it only leaves 6.3, hopefully they keep the limit at 42 or even 40 to allow a bit more room to move.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:43 PM, jbell1995 said:

Our season is over. Time to look ahead to 2023. The crowds have held up on the whole across this season which is good.

Team wise for next season? The starting point should be Bowtell, Gilkes and Morley. From there it’s anyone’s guess. Barker is unbeatable around the Colosseum and if allowed back in the Spring he would presumably keep his place on an average of 8.00 but I won’t add him to the list just yet as we don’t know the plans…

2. Morley - 5.07

6. Gilkes - 4.67

7. Bowtell - 4.39

Total Remaining- 27.87 

Don't forget Brits get a 2.5% reduction

On 10/4/2022 at 7:25 PM, HGould said:

This is where the lack of brain cells on the management committee becomes so evident. 

10 teams requiring 70 riders I can see 38 or 39 points working

8 teams (no Lions or Monarchs) requires 56 riders. 

IF the limit is too low it'll end up with a host of 5 to 7 point riders on the shelf and a host of poor and unprepared riders on 2 points rushed in to fit the limit. 

Surely they will need to look at available riders from top to bottom and then reset a limit to match number required with any surplus at the bottom of the average scale not in the middle. 

That way you build quality and incentiise those lower down to improve. 

You then assess ndl the same way so that those not in CL fill NDL and reduce NDL options for those who've milked it for too long.. Clegg, Morley etc

Did Morley get shale in your tea at a meeting or something? I always enjoy the jibes at NDL riders who are eligible but too good for the league whereas Bomber, Nicholls etc are valuable additions to the CL and great entertainment (and definitely not milking it). 

The latter point is valid and new 2/3 pointers into the CL should have achieved a certain level at NDL before they can be considered for a move up. 

Two pointers as a whole just encourages a sacrifical lamb anyway so minimum 3 or even 4 pointer at the tail end to create strength in depth looks to teams rather than big gulfs in teams abilities?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, james1234 said:

Ritchie Worrall and Kyle Howarth would be a good start 

I would think maybe Howarth at Oxford? Or is there a lot of rumour about Kyle going to Plymouth? 

10 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Kennett at 1

Already signed him

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, sugarray said:

Already signed him

Until he races a "few" meetings before he gets injured on a, still, inflated average & the guest situation rears its ugly head, again. This rule needs addressing at the AGM.

2 hours ago, Tinker said:

Kenneth to be No 1, team manager and in charge of the snack bar?

Kenneth who ? Garry May is the only one to take Plymouth to the top .

Edited by Creekmoor Pirate
Did not finish my post
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Creekmoor Pirate said:

Kenneth who ? Garry May is the only one to take Plymouth to the top .

Whoops, I meant Kennett. 

The wheels are in motion Mark Phillips and Gary May will put together a good team I'm sure :t: