British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2023

18 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

When you consider that almost 90% of the riders also rode in the 2nd tier that would suggest that a minority of only 10% of riders could be classed as Elite.

But at the end of the day its only a title to make something sound better than it is.

That's something that needs to be addressed and by the sound of it there will be less riders doing both leagues next year and that can only be a good thing. When doubling up first started in its most recent guise it was restricted to one or two spots per team and exclusively for young Brits, unfortunately it's got way out of hand.

Second point spot on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Depends how you look at it.....in terms of the rest of Europe it is/was a long way short of that description but as the highest standard/level of quality in the UK calling our top division the Elite or 3 is perfectly valid.

Still probably 4th strongest league in the world

1 Polish Ekstraliga

2 Swedish Elitserien

3 ewinner League 1 in Poland

4 British Premiership

5 Danish Speedway League

6 Polish League 2.

Note 3,4 and 5 are very close.

8 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Still probably 4th strongest league in the world

1 Polish Ekstraliga

2 Swedish Elitserien

3 ewinner League 1 in Poland

4 British Premiership

5 Danish Speedway League

6 Polish League 2.

Note 3,4 and 5 are very close.

Gone are the days when everyone wanted to ride in BL1.

Sadly I doubt British Speedway will reach the heights of 18 teams all having two World class heatleaders and that was before the Eastern block countries opened up.

12 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Can we have a few Gladiator names please Mark & Gazza! 

With one less team in the league it "should" make team building a little easier for 2023.

I'm extremely disappointed the BSPL ditched their 2 home 2 away premier league for 2023, something I think they will regret.   

I think you can safely say that Barker, Worrall and Gilkes will be at Plymouth for a start.

6 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

I think you can safely say that Barker, Worrall and Gilkes will be at Plymouth for a start.

So Barker, Worrall, Gilkes and Howarth so far then?!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

So Barker, Worrall, Gilkes and Howarth so far then?!

Only Richie confirmed. Ben strongly indicated. The rest just speculation I think.

• Sad 1

Just now, MalDon45 said:

Only Richie confirmed. Ben strongly indicated. The rest just speculation I think.

Look no Hans!:o:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Look no Hans!:o:D

Or Kennett 

What is this snipping certain Poole fans have with Plymouth. Yes there is also some coming the other way. These are the only two teams in the South/ south west of England, both of which are important to the sport.

I admit I feel for both clubs having started at Plymouth in 1962 and Poole since 1985.

Personally I hope both have very competitive teams and both are successful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gating tart said:

Alfie has signed for Birmingham 

Great for us if true, definitely got more get up and go than Morris and Shanes and steady improver.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Is there a chance local lad Ben trigger could get a reserve berth 

would be weakest No 7 in CL if true, I know Gary May has a reputation for sacrificing riders but he's no where near ready and nowhere near the likes of Ablitt / McGurk who struggled on track for most matches in CL last year but who are much more mature too physically and off track.

I can see logic for Ace Pijper who looks a genuine rising star but at least a season, probably 2 seasons too soon for Trigger. Got to be better 2 point options

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HGould said:

Great for us if true, definitely got more get up and go than Morris and Shanes and steady improver.

Not sure I'd say 'great' ? not with the proposed signing of Morris taking up 10pt plus.... (oops...wrong thread :D)

• Haha 1