British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2023

22 minutes ago, PTW said:

Masters,Lawson,Harris,Douglas,Morris there I’d call out and out no1 riders atm

You’d need to explain your reasoning for choosing Lawson over higher averaged riders?

6 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

You’d need to explain your reasoning for choosing Lawson over higher averaged riders?

Be interesting to see what Lawson's average last 2 months of the season, as couldn't have been many races he didn't win! 

12 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

That’s daft it’s been proven it was not a recreational drug he was daft for exceeding dosages of painkillers and the Plymouth promotion took him to a clinic for a drug test to prove it was just that and nothing more so I think your comment is frankly out of order like someone else has said if your in that much pain who knows what we all would do in the same circumstances.

As a professional sportsman I would have thought it would be common sense for all riders to check with the SCB before taking anything, that would risk their riding status.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

As a professional sportsman I would have thought it would be common sense for all riders to check with the SCB before taking anything, that would risk their riding status.

Barker himself would probably admit that the "common sense gene" passed him by. 

He's not the only sportsman in any Sport afflicted by such an issue. 

They are often mercurial talents whose true potential is never fulfilled by weaknesses. 

It doesn't make them bad people, it just clouds their lives. 

17 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

I’m hearing what Andersen was on last season was mental money and I doubt anyone would pay that this season 

He perhaps ought to hang his riding boots up now because his downwards trajectory is only getting steeper. Think he might also have taken quite a few concussions, the risk of long term harm is going to increase sharply now, if he has more

3 hours ago, PTW said:

Masters,Lawson,Harris,Douglas,Morris there I’d call out and out no1 riders atm

1) Lawson's 2022 ave was half a point lower than Howarth's

2) Lawson never rode at number one for Poole (99% sure)

Not sure he fits the "out & out number one" mould. Probably need to be a 9+ rider to qualify (which means Howarth doesn't either).

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Be interesting to see what Lawson's average last 2 months of the season, as couldn't have been many races he didn't win! 

From 1 Sept ( Inc 1 guest appearance):-

9.93 [exc bonus]

Edit - figure corrected

Edited by arnieg
  • Thanks 2

How about?

Plymouth  
Kyle Howarth 8.36
Richie Worrall 7.97
Ben Barker 7.80
Ben Morley 4.94
Dan Gilkes 4.55
Connor Bailey 4.32
Ablitt / Trigger 2.00
Total 39.94

12 minutes ago, arnieg said:

From 1 Sept ( Inc 1 guest appearance):-

9.93 [exc bonus]

Edit - figure corrected

Proves @PTW point then about Lawson being an out and out No1! ;)

14 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

When it matters who would you want going out to win you a heat in this league the ones I mentioned,Lawson for me you can guarantee he will win the majority of heats,and I think Poole we’re careful with there heatleaders averages trying to keep them altogether if that wasn’t the case I think he would of been around the 9.00-9.50 mark no problem,but these days you do that all likelihood you put yourself out of a team place.

Id have Lawson over both of the other Poole heatleaders from this year absolute class in this league 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

How about?

Plymouth  
Kyle Howarth 8.36
Richie Worrall 7.97
Ben Barker 7.80
Ben Morley 4.94
Dan Gilkes 4.55
Connor Bailey 4.32
Ablitt / Trigger 2.00
Total 39.94

I really don't think Ben Morley on that average with that bottom end is the right move. Hopefully someone like Kemp but could see a former Plymouth rider like Newman or Starke get the nod.

Edited by torpointfanatic22

17 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

That’s daft it’s been proven it was not a recreational drug he was daft for exceeding dosages of painkillers and the Plymouth promotion took him to a clinic for a drug test to prove it was just that and nothing more so I think your comment is frankly out of order like someone else has said if your in that much pain who knows what we all would do in the same circumstances.

I think the original post may be down to other previous incidents involving Barker throughout his career. He's upset plenty in his time! 

Take away the 'off track' Barker and focusing purely 'on track' he's dynamite at Plymouth and can still do a decent job on most away tracks. He was always returning. Be interesting to see how he comes back from last seasons debacle.

5 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Think he was 9.85 in all comps post the finale. 

Saw Richard last year at Redcar looking for his team mate to get a bonus point or two. He plays the averages a treat, fair play to him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Not really proves he was very good for a short period! Though for whats it worth Lawson has always been a very good heatleader 

• Like 1