British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2023

On 6/9/2023 at 5:51 AM, Speedwaywinner1993 said:

And who tells you that?! 

Garry may very much has an input on who   he has in the team and how it’s built 

You seem to be saying the complete opposite on the Plymouth v Edinburgh thread??? More faces than a box of kippers methinks :t:

• Haha 1

Looking at the September averages, Plymouth look to be far weaker.

Worrall now above Barker in the averages, so if r/r for Barker, Howarth doesn't get an extra ride.

Dan T now above Gilkes, so if using r/r for Gilkes, guest for Barker doesn't get an extra ride.

Plymouth certainly need their injured riders back to avoid the wooden spoon imo

19 hours ago, drew2 said:

Can't see Ben being back this season now.

Is there a cut off date to replace injured riders or is just rr or guests ?

Joe Thompson and sedgeman guesting Tommorow,if we had them 2 last week we would probably have  won,the daft thing is we need 2 guests for Wednesday as the 2 above riders are riding against us. Then we will probably borrow them again on the weekend for the meetings against Berwick and Edinburgh. I’m assuming that to be the case I do not no that for a fact.

Edited by Mike0310

24 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

Joe Thompson and sedgeman guesting Tommorow,if we had them 2 last week we would probably have  won,the daft thing is we need 2 guests for Wednesday as the 2 above riders are riding against us. Then we will probably borrow them again on the weekend for the meetings against Berwick and Edinburgh. I’m assuming that to be the case I do not no that for a fact.

I think you'll find Joe Thompson will be at Edinburgh on Wednesday

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

Sedgeman and Bellevues Matt Marston on Saturday according to Berwicks website 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I’m an idiot apologies of course he will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

4 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

I’m an idiot apologies of course he will.

I assume we are referring to Plymouth's Tuesday fixture, so why can Joe Thompson not guest for the Devils?

11 hours ago, cyclone said:

I assume we are referring to Plymouth's Tuesday fixture, so why can Joe Thompson not guest for the Devils?

He can and he is. Plymouth are at Brum on Wednesday and @Mike0310 thought that Sedgemen & Thompson would be riding for the home team against the Gladiators, forgetting that Thompson is now a Pirate which @Skidder1 pointed out (they are at Armadale Wednesday evening).

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jbell1995 said:

So that's the end of the faint playoff hopes at the end of what's proved yet another challenging and disappointing season for the Gladiators. A team assembled at the start of the season with so much hope and expectation that for whatever reason just never seemed to click. Yet again, injuries have played a huge part in the season along with a very poor stop/start nature to the season with how it was structured. Massive thank you to everyone who has guested for us across the year. 

Of course, there are some people on here who have a very strict agenda against Plymouth Speedway. One can only presume this is due to the distance you'd have to travel to see your team race (As an Argyle fan, it's never easy having to travel such long distances so I can sympathise to a point). People will always have their prejudices towards the track because it is different to anywhere else but I'm sorry, personally the joy and thrill of motorsport is that you don't race on the same track configuration every week. If we all raced on a 300m round oval then it would be boring week in, week out. Some of the racing at the Colosseum this season has been excellent. Even Tuesday night, threw the face of adversity, plenty of the crowd declared that as their favourite meeting for some while and credit needed to go to both sets of riders as everyone put it on the line. 

There's been some strange, peculiar bashing of the promotion as well. As someone who's had a hand in the day to day running of a recreational, successful sports club within the city, I can appreciate the tough, difficult job that Mark Phillips has. No promoter wants to lose money. No promoter wants to deliberately mislead supporters just to earn a quick bit of cash. People do need to remember at times just how difficult a job it is to be a promoter and absolutely nobody wants to call meetings off willingly just before meetings are due to start. 

As we are all aware, speedway as a sport is on borrowed time in the UK. There's no light at the end of the tunnel and every week there's another rumour circulating that another track is due to close for various reasons. We as supporters of the sport and of our own clubs have a duty to do what we can and the constant mudslinging and negative press that not just Mark but other promoters up and down the country receive are only going to drive people away from the sport and equally put off future investors because if they see what treatment promoters receive, why should they invest?

This is a critical time for British Speedway as we move into 2024. The waters are choppy and the visibility isn't good. I for one, hope there's Championship racing at the Colosseum next season and I can't wait for the new season to begin.

Excellent analysis. 

It's a bostin little track when riders attack it and the weather plays ball. 

It will be a big miss if they drop out of CL but sadly riders seem to think they have all the power and for those In PL a trek down on Tuesdays doesn't work. 

If situation allowed Saturdays do you think that would be best option? 

I guess what Leicester decide to do might scupper that though in terms of available riders. 

I hope Plymouth keep going as its a very welcoming place and Promotion and every time you go there's another little improvement in facilities. 

• Like 5

From what I've heard the Plymouth Promoter was acting in the interests of rider safety re a concern about tyres. I'm sure arider of Kyle Howarth's experience knows enough about tyres to raise his concerns. 

For the match referee to declare that punctures are a part of speedway and telling the riders to get on with it is what needs investigating imo

Edited by cinderfella