British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, weatherman said:

With the amount of debt this crooked lot have run up, I can't see that happening.

It's a huge plot and with other pockets from railway sidings etc nearby, worth some serious money.

Would also cost the council a pretty penny to buy the lease back.

Not if it can be proved that the current leaseholders have reneged on the terms of the lease and the provision of a minimum of 2 sports/leisure activities!

The site was originally given to 'the people of Poole' for that very purpose by the Lord Wimborne Estate, with the Council acting as 'custodians'!! (Although there have been many many examples of similar arrangements which various councils across the UK have simply ridden roughshod over!)

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Not if it can be proved that the current leaseholders have reneged on the terms of the lease and the provision of a minimum of 2 sports/leisure activities!

The site was originally given to 'the people of Poole' for that very purpose by the Lord Wimborne Estate, with the Council acting as 'custodians'!! (Although there have been many many examples of similar arrangements which various councils across the UK have simply ridden roughshod over!)

Poole Council being one of the worst

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

How long does the lease last?

1 hour ago, eric i said:

How long does the lease last?

Not sure. A lease was granted in 1994 I think and possibly extended in 1997 when the 'new' glass stand/restaurant was built by Stadia uk primarily for the greyhounds!

Edited by Skidder1

Hopefully the Pirates can stay at Wimborne Road but the promotion must have concerns as they are actively exploring alternatives i believe. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lewy said:

Hopefully the Pirates can stay at Wimborne Road but the promotion must have concerns as they are actively exploring alternatives i believe. 

I fail to see any existing alternatives. IOW would be expensive to travel there every week and everywhere else is too far. Apparently Weymouth track isn't there anymore? 

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I fail to see any existing alternatives. IOW would be expensive to travel there every week and everywhere else is too far. Apparently Weymouth track isn't there anymore? 

Weymouth is sort of still there buried under all that undergrowth

IMG-4014.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Hi Skidder 1

As you are quite knowledgeable on Poole speedway matters if the council own the stadium why don't they take back ownership and rerun greyhounds as I believe they stopped running due to covid and now it's sort of over with speeedway guaranteed with the Ford's then all issues may be solved or is the San Miguel getting to me.

7 hours ago, Essex said:

Hi Skidder 1

As you are quite knowledgeable on Poole speedway matters if the council own the stadium why don't they take back ownership and rerun greyhounds as I believe they stopped running due to covid and now it's sort of over with speeedway guaranteed with the Ford's then all issues may be solved or is the San Miguel getting to me.

I can't see the BCP administration running this sort of business. As Skidder 1 seems to think there is a bit of time left on lease  it would not be cheap buying it back.

I've never seen the terms and conditions of the lease but would like to know if it stipulates how many activities have to be run at the site?

8 hours ago, Essex said:

Hi Skidder 1

This is just my interpretation of things - having worked in the council and run a large indoor events venue locally.

In the background to all this the council have published a provisional Local Plan which includes a map showing a number of possible sites for 'potential development'. This includes many potential sites across Poole, Bournemouth and Christchurch including the whole stadium site plus some adjoining vacant land. Of course this provisional plan is subject to change (not least as a result of the May Local elections!!), and the final plan is currently scheduled  to become 'active' towards the end of 2024. The plan does NOT mention Poole Stadium specifically even though other specific landmark sites are named.

Aside from local opinion for or against local politics, there is the need/desire to build more housing and undoubtedly the site close to the town centre would be extremely valuable to both the Council ( who could sell it as they need the money) or to a Developer (who could build a huge number of properties on it) especially if it could be proven that the site is not viable for sport and leisure?!

We are not at that stage yet but I'm sure all those that are directly involved are aware of the options and how likely or unlikely they are. I've not recently discussed the specifics with Matt or Danny Ford.

In the meantime the Poole Promotion will I'm sure continue to try to negotiate a sensible rental with G.I. and we can only hope that G.I. concur so that speedway continues.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

Question for "local" Poole supporters in the forthcoming elections do you know which candidates:

1. Support speedway for the long term @ Wimborne road.

2. Have no interest in providing entertainment for the people of Poole.

3. Has a dislike for anything Motorcycling including Speedway.

This could be better worded I'm sure, also something in writing from any candidates that say they support speedway. Duplicated for Wolves & Peterborough!  Good luck to you all.

• Like 2

Interesting averages in the Speedway star (yes I know it’s not their proper averages as they are ‘rolling’ averages) for Poole on this season’s matches so far….Our number 7 could do some damage!!

2 hours ago, scottyfan said:

Interesting averages in the Speedway star (yes I know it’s not their proper averages as they are ‘rolling’ averages) for Poole on this season’s matches so far….Our number 7 could do some damage!!

Thank goodness Poole's CMAs won't change til July 1st.