British Speedway Forum

21 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Masters proved he is the Leagues Top rider.IMO

Yep. Dougie isn't the leagues best ....yet!! Sure it won't be long til he is. Even Nick Morris is above Dougie if you take averages into account.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Hard to argue with the merits of the Scunny side MPT, Allen and Mountain all easily capable of putting a point on their averages, a good number 1 and reserves that actually put a sting in the tail. Season could hinge on what stage Kennedy and Lambert swap places for the reserve berth and if the management continue with the honourable but tactically questionable better reserve staying at 6. Even so injury free its a good team.

I am pretty sure that most, if not all, of this last season, the better reserve was at 7.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Masters proved he is the Leagues Top rider.IMO

50 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Yep. Dougie isn't the leagues best ....yet!! Sure it won't be long til he is. Even Nick Morris is above Dougie if you take averages into account.

Yes, Masters & Morris are above Douglas taking in the averages, which is not the best judge as it was based on the last 10 league meetings(not a good guide in my opinion) & we are going back(rule change turn-a-round again) to a rolling 20 average.

BarrowBoys page has Dougie at the top, but I don't know what his calculations are based on. 

7 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Yes, Masters & Morris are above Douglas taking in the averages, which is not the best judge as it was based on the last 10 league meetings(not a good guide in my opinion) & we are going back(rule change turn-a-round again) to a rolling 20 average.

BarrowBoys page has Dougie at the top, but I don't know what his calculations are based on. 

How I'd quantify it is that Sam in particular has been a 9 plus man for 10 or more years in the champ, Dougie had a great season but if wants to usurp masters he'll need to do it consistently

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Masters is on top whatever way you look at the averages,Lawson 2nd if you take all matches in.Ryan is a top man though and improved last season.

Barrowboy has his own method which is hard to fathom at times !

Edited by Fromafar
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

How I'd quantify it is that Sam in particular has been a 9 plus man for 10 or more years in the champ, Dougie had a great season but if wants to usurp masters he'll need to do it consistently

Masters has been very good where ever he rides but struggles at Scunny, by his own admission. Dougie, by comparison, was gradually learning his trade in his early years, but came on massively having a year out in '18 to get over his injuries but was mentored back home by Darcy Ward & Davey Watt & told to get on a technical track more often. He returned to our shores in '19, opting to ride at both Leicester & Wolves, 2 difficult tracks but improved year on year. He returned to Scunny this last year, & what a year it was for him, not only at Scunny but away as well, winning the Ben Fund & who knows what could have happened in the CL Riders Championship when he was unable to ride in the re-run final.

• Like 1

I actually think Scunny have a decent chance this year to win some sort of Silverware. A lot will depend on Jake Allen imo he needs to step it up this season after a poor by his standard 2022. Lambert will do a job when he drops to reserve as I expect Kennedy to be soon in the top 5 as he's the strongest reserve in the league to start off with.

Good Luck to the Scorpions this season.

• Thanks 1

Scunny  have a not bad team but to even think Douglas is in the same league as a rider of masters, Lawson, and both worralls Is delusional will he be,maybe, at the moment masters is in a league of his own and a lovely bloke with it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike0310 said:

Scunny  have a not bad team but to even think Douglas is in the same league as a rider of masters, Lawson, and both worralls Is delusional will he be,maybe, at the moment masters is in a league of his own and a lovely bloke with it.

Taking league matches from last season (on speedway website) and including bonus points.

Douglas 9.52

Nick Morris 9.52

Richard Lawson 9.23

Richie Worrall 8.99

Steve Worrall 8.86.

I would guess that Douglas in in the same league as these riders this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Per gbspeedway.com: All Championship meetings 1. Sam Masters 9.83 (10.26 incl. bonus pts), 2. Ryan Douglas 9.60 (9.85), 3. Richard Lawson 9.22 (9.85) 

League only 1. Masters 10.03 (10.39), 2. Nick Morris 9.33 (9.52), 3. Douglas 9.24 (9.52)

17 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Hard to argue with the merits of the Scunny side MPT, Allen and Mountain all easily capable of putting a point on their averages, a good number 1 and reserves that actually put a sting in the tail. Season could hinge on what stage Kennedy and Lambert swap places for the reserve berth and if the management continue with the honourable but tactically questionable better reserve staying at 6. Even so injury free its a good team.

Not sure how that is "tactically questionable". If Kennedy is the best reserve in the league he should be capable of beating opposition second strings riding at number 6 & Joe T should be beating opposition number 7s most of the time. Swap them round & Kennedy scores the points Joe T would from beating number 7s, but Joe scores far less & so does the team!

• Thanks 1

For those interested, Zaine finished fourth in the Boxing Day meeting in Aus..

Tungate first 

J Holder second

C Holder third

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

For those interested, Zaine finished fourth in the Boxing Day meeting in Aus..

Tungate first 

J Holder second

C Holder third

Beat the master, doyle?

Not really.. Doyle got excluded in their semi final after knocking Pickering off, In the re run Zaine picked off Pickering who seemed to have problems exiting a corner. In the final he missed the gate and struggled at the back

• Like 1