British Speedway Forum

12 hours ago, the outsider said:

The like of Dan Thompson, Max Clegg, Alfie Bowtell are above NDL standard or should be ? , and  riding where possible in the Championship. It makes no common sense at all hold back these riders where there's an opportunity for them to race in competitive British Speedway. But of course when did Speedway ever make sense of itself ?

Bowtell in Birmingham.

12 hours ago, Gazc said:

You could alaways replace MPT with a lower average rider to get Dan a spot .

Then your built too the same points as everyone else.

I doubt they'd make a double change but if they did, the only one I could see them making would be dropping Kennedy & Joe T for Dan T / Ruml / Kemp & Kinsley?

Scunny will probably find a rule where you are allowed a facility for a rider if he rode for you last season :blush:

9 hours ago, lewy said:

Scunny will probably find a rule where you are allowed a facility for a rider if he rode for you last season :blush:

That would be good mate it's fantastic ,been able to manipulate the rules openly is a good tool to have in your locker. Beats paying a rider  to do 1 lap then use rr all season (worlds worst kept secret )

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

On 1/20/2023 at 1:41 PM, IronScorpion said:

The report in this weeks SS says that fans were approached for what they wanted to see next year. Who are these fans? When were they approached? I, & many others have never been approached for our views whether at the turnstiles, around the stadium or in the clubhouse.

I agree with eric, & many others would too, that the PA system needs looking at whether more/bigger speakers, better microphones or sponge top covers or being taught how to use them properly as it seems, by ear, that the announcer talks in to the microphone then talks away probably when reading info. Possibly employing a DJ for minimal cost will improve this situation & an improvement in music before a meeting, promoting/announcing what is going on, team news, basic rules, etc between heats giving a better atmosphere(MX can do it at Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham but these are indoor arenas).

The scoreboard issue, from memory, was down to man/women power in the referee's box due to reduced numbers(personnel & covid restrictions).

I am honestly not Scunny bashing, I usually attend as an away supporter when Redcar are in town and your club definitely need a ring master.  Roy Clarke does a fantastic job for the Bears just as he did for the Diamonds.  He is the type of character Scunthorpe need with his mixture of Speedway knowledge and humour.  Your announcer is probably a very nice guy and his voice is a dead ringer for Jonny Vegas but sadly without the wise cracks.  Honestly there is an atmosphere at Redcar that draws people in everyone is so friendly  fom the guy in the car park to the promoters and owners and if all of that could be replicated at Scunthorpe your fans would love it !!  After all  you have a great track and great facilities.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

That would be good mate it's fantastic ,been able to manipulate the rules openly is a good tool to have in your locker. Beats paying a rider  to do 1 lap then use rr all season (worlds worst kept secret )

There can't be anything wrong with that rule, otherwise they would have changed it for 2023. The majority of the promoter's must judge it an acceptable situation for a rider to get injured in his first match & be allowed guests for the rest of the season!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Berry9 said:

I am honestly not Scunny bashing, I usually attend as an away supporter when Redcar are in town and your club definitely need a ring master.  Roy Clarke does a fantastic job for the Bears just as he did for the Diamonds.  He is the type of character Scunthorpe need with his mixture of Speedway knowledge and humour.  Your announcer is probably a very nice guy and his voice is a dead ringer for Jonny Vegas but sadly without the wise cracks.  Honestly there is an atmosphere at Redcar that draws people in everyone is so friendly  fom the guy in the car park to the promoters and owners and if all of that could be replicated at Scunthorpe your fans would love it !!  After all  you have a great track and great facilities.

Really! Personally I find Mr Clarke very annoying with his totally biased opinions and snidey comments. We once made the mistake of standing in a place that Redcar supporters said "they always stood there" despite us being there 20 minutes before them. Probably not normal behaviour of  Bears fans but a lasting impression on us and quite threatening. The announcer in the box just does the results, mostly the infield "Commentator" is the jack of all trades, Rob Godfrey himself.

Our carpark guy is very friendly too, but since car parking is now free and included in the admission, we will have to find another public facing role for him. As an aside,  can you get some pot holes filled and better exit lighting in the Redcar carpark please.

I am not knocking Redcar Speedway and enjoy my away trips to Teesside, since both of us have fine tracks and good racing. The Bears are now our nearest club ( now Sheffield and Leicester have moved up) so now a "local " derby for us. As they say ,one man's meet is another man's poison, Let's just enjoy our racing and hope for an injury free season.

Roy Clarke was annoying at Newcastle and he continues to be annoying at Redcar... I understand some people like him, I get the appeal, but he's not for me... If he could talk about half as much and not over the top of EVERYTHING including trying to talk to your relatives at the meeting (he's really that loud at times) then maybe he would be tolerable, because I do like the way he announces the riders etc... Adds a bit to the meeting... The other annoying thing is the remarks he always made when Newcastle were in town... Does he forget where he first came from? I get having a bit of crack, a bit of local rivalry banter, but by heat 10, when he was telling the same joke over and over again in slightly different form, it got a bit boring tbh...

Dunno anything about Scunthorpe's announcer, last time I went was for the Ben Fund in 2020 (only meeting of the year) and before that who knows...

Edited by Diamonds85
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Roy Clarke was annoying at Newcastle and he continues to be annoying at Redcar... I understand some people like him, I get the appeal, but he's not for me... If he could talk about half as much and not over the top of EVERYTHING including trying to talk to your relatives at the meeting (he's really that loud at times) then maybe he would be tolerable, because I do like the way he announces the riders etc... Adds a bit to the meeting... The other annoying thing is the remarks he always made when Newcastle were in town... Does he forget where he first came from? I get having a bit of crack, a bit of local rivalry banter, but by heat 10, when he was telling the same joke over and over again in slightly different form, it got a bit boring tbh...

Dunno anything about Scunthorpe's announcer, last time I went was for the Ben Fund in 2020 (only meeting of the year) and before that who knows...

I can't disagree more, during Rob Grants tenure when he spat his dummy out and got rid of Roy the atmosphere at Newcastle was abysmal and he was truly missed.  I find it hard to believe that you can think of him in those terms. As far as forgetting where he first came from as far as I know he still lives in Tyneside and was a Diamond to the core,  everyone at Redcar knows that.  BTW who was the center green announcer at the 2020 Ben fund?

Edited by Berry9

3 hours ago, scunny1 said:

Really! Personally I find Mr Clarke very annoying with his totally biased opinions and snidey comments. We once made the mistake of standing in a place that Redcar supporters said "they always stood there" despite us being there 20 minutes before them. Probably not normal behaviour of  Bears fans but a lasting impression on us and quite threatening. The announcer in the box just does the results, mostly the infield "Commentator" is the jack of all trades, Rob Godfrey himself.

Our carpark guy is very friendly too, but since car parking is now free and included in the admission, we will have to find another public facing role for him. As an aside,  can you get some pot holes filled and better exit lighting in the Redcar carpark please.

I am not knocking Redcar Speedway and enjoy my away trips to Teesside, since both of us have fine tracks and good racing. The Bears are now our nearest club ( now Sheffield and Leicester have moved up) so now a "local " derby for us. As they say ,one man's meet is another man's poison, Let's just enjoy our racing and hope for an injury free season.

The car park at Redcar is free, it does not belong to the club it belongs to Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council, please feel free to contact them regarding the potholes and lighting. As for Roy's "snidey remarks" it's banter mate it's a  northern thing and certainly not to be taken seriously,  maybe what's really required at Scunthorpe is good sense of humour

Mr Clarke makes his own nickname up for home riders 

like - the billeracy blaster  etc , as an away fan he’s annoying 

• Like 1

As an away fan I quite like Roy Clarke.

But I think he may be best appreciated in small doses. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Berry9 said:

The car park at Redcar is free, it does not belong to the club it belongs to Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council, please feel free to contact them regarding the potholes and lighting. As for Roy's "snidey remarks" it's banter mate it's a  northern thing and certainly not to be taken seriously,  maybe what's really required at Scunthorpe is good sense of humour

He's the sort of announcer who makes you long for old age and the sweet release of going deaf... absolutely awful 

• Like 3

Never been to Redcar but surely he isn't as bad as the Wolves one, Porky is it? (Unless he has been replaced now?!)