British Speedway Forum

8 hours ago, jenga said:

twas in 2018 at wucky . so freebies were issued then 

So, it wasn't years ago glad you cleared that up.

Just to clarify any free tickets given out by the club to entice new fans and promote the sport was way before 2018.

:o  

2 hours ago, Bandit59 said:

Agree with all you say, would work great but to simple for the speedway bigwigs to understand they do the complete opposite.

Sounds like a sensible plan.  Get the Championship League done and dusted a.s.a.p. with no play-offs - winner takes all.  The cream usually rises to the top anyway.  Maybe another competition late season as you have suggested.   Far too many gaps this year for various reasons ( some justified ) means regulars get out of their regular weekly habit - and as the season drags on are less inclined to have their extremities chilled on the rapidly advancing colder Autumn/Winter ? nights.   Even die-hards have their limits !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Not so much one big League in the future but one small League .

Scunthorpe vs Belle Vue vs Glasgow every week... One northern, one midlands and one southern... Perfect!! They can field teams in the Premiership, Championship and National League. And while they're at it bring back promotion/relegation so Scunthorpe juniors can fight Scunthorpe seniors for promotion :t: I'd pay a small fortune weekly for that kind of entertainment

3 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Scunthorpe vs Belle Vue vs Glasgow every week... One northern, one midlands and one southern... Perfect!! They can field teams in the Premiership, Championship and National League. And while they're at it bring back promotion/relegation so Scunthorpe juniors can fight Scunthorpe seniors for promotion :t: I'd pay a small fortune weekly for that kind of entertainment

You should be spending your cash at a comedy club :D

8 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

You should be spending your cash at a comedy club :D

So I can actually hear some good jokes, unlike on here where you get the usual

• Kennet guest for Plymouth joke
  • Glasgow stealing Poole riders joke
  • Lawson to Plymouth joke

All of which are repeated over, and over, and over, and over, and over again

List a few more if you can think of any other repetitive bo!!ocks which was mildly funny the first time but is boring as all hell now

11 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

So I can actually hear some good jokes, unlike on here where you get the usual

• Kennet guest for Plymouth joke
  • Glasgow stealing Poole riders joke
  • Lawson to Plymouth joke

All of which are repeated over, and over, and over, and over, and over again

List a few more if you can think of any other repetitive bo!!ocks which was mildly funny the first time but is boring as all hell now

British Champion signing for a full season at Birmingham?

Newcastle spending money they obviously didnt have on repairing a track to continue the season with a No1 and his sidekick No7 who was out of his depth?

An abandoned British Final resulting in a rider being nominated to do the British GP ?

BV signing a rider, who previously declined to ride in his home country's league, for THREE matches in a bid to win silverware?

Biggest jokes though are BSPA and SCB.

Edited by cinderfella
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

British Champion signing for a full season at Birmingham?

Newcastle spending money they obviously didnt have on repairing a track to continue the season with a No1 and his sidekick No7 who was out of his depth?

An abandoned British Final resulting in a rider being nominated to do the British GP ?

BV signing a rider, who previously declined to ride in his home country's league, for THREE matches in a bid to win silverware?

Biggest jokes though are BSPA and SCB.

I'm not on about the joke of a sport we all love to hate

I'm on about the 'jokes' that get repeated on this forum over and over... Your list is a whole other topic...

Free tickets were around in 2018, and *maybe* 2019, but not since then. The point wasn’t to make the crowd look bigger, it was to entice people in, in the hope they’d pay to come back.

Glasgow we’re not break even pre-COVID. The Facennas openly said they were making six figure losses. They were prepared to take some losses as they see it as giving to the community to some extent, but ultimately they are businessmen and they want the club’s finances to be sustainable in the medium term. I would guess they are still absorbing substantial losses.

In terms of crowd, I think the figures people are quoting are inflated in line with energy prices. The stand might be able to fit 400 people, but I have never counted 400 people at a Tigers match. The shed may fit 150 people, but I’ve never counted 150 people there.

My best estimates from counting at the last match I was at are around 150 in the stand, 150 under the stand and in the shed, and maybe 150 on the back straight.

An extra 300 adults through the doors per match would make about £75k extra ticket office revenue over a 14 match home season, so it’s a big gap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noelinho said:

Free tickets were around in 2018, and *maybe* 2019, but not since then. The point wasn’t to make the crowd look bigger, it was to entice people in, in the hope they’d pay to come back.

Glasgow we’re not break even pre-COVID. The Facennas openly said they were making six figure losses. They were prepared to take some losses as they see it as giving to the community to some extent, but ultimately they are businessmen and they want the club’s finances to be sustainable in the medium term. I would guess they are still absorbing substantial losses.

In terms of crowd, I think the figures people are quoting are inflated in line with energy prices. The stand might be able to fit 400 people, but I have never counted 400 people at a Tigers match. The shed may fit 150 people, but I’ve never counted 150 people there.

My best estimates from counting at the last match I was at are around 150 in the stand, 150 under the stand and in the shed, and maybe 150 on the back straight.

An extra 300 adults through the doors per match would make about £75k extra ticket office revenue over a 14 match home season, so it’s a big gap.

The last match was Definately very poorly attended  though probably for a number of reasons.

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The last match was Definately very poorly attended  though probably for a number of reasons.

Yes, and I didn’t bother to go myself! For a few reasons, not all speedway related. Have to hold my rain off ticket for next season now.

Just now, Noelinho said:

Yes, and I didn’t bother to go myself! For a few reasons, not all speedway related. Have to hold my rain off ticket for next season now.

I have applied for refund on ticket for that match,I appear to be getting it soon.

interesting reading the posts above . prob the only way Glasgow can get near the break even figure or even more through the gate is to  ( dare i say it )  get riders in for 2023 who want to ride for the club and cut the wage bills for riders .stop bleeding the club dry .

its the only thing they have in their control .. and it is something they can do straight away . 

while i am on here . going premier league in 2023 will be the straw that breaks the tigers back .

fuel costs and living costs cannot be absorbed by Glasgow speedway . 

time to return to part time riders and full time enjoyment for speedway all over the U.K.

7 minutes ago, jenga said:

interesting reading the posts above . prob the only way Glasgow can get near the break even figure or even more through the gate is to  ( dare i say it )  get riders in for 2023 who want to ride for the club and cut the wage bills for riders .stop bleeding the club dry .

its the only thing they have in their control .. and it is something they can do straight away . 

while i am on here . going premier league in 2023 will be the straw that breaks the tigers back .

fuel costs and living costs cannot be absorbed by Glasgow speedway . 

time to return to part time riders and full time enjoyment for speedway all over the U.K.

I believe Glasgow have the in house Catering (could be wrong though).If they do it certainly generates a lot of income.Only the Promotion know the facts and figures for income and expenditure, everything else is speculation.

Edited by Fromafar

41 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I believe Glasgow have the in house Catering (could be wrong though).If they do it certainly generates a lot of income.Only the Promotion know the facts and figures for income and expenditure, everything else is speculation.

Outsourced the catering last season and not for the better.

• Thanks 1