British Speedway Forum

8 hours ago, lewy said:

So far the Glasgow team look box office, will definitely put numbers on attendances wherever they go. Vissing final rider will be a good signing also. 

Just need them to add to the attendance at Ashfield! Hopefully the promoters can get some good promotion early in the season, or just before it, and not right before a three month break for the playoff semi final...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Just need them to add to the attendance at Ashfield! Hopefully the promoters can get some good promotion early in the season, or just before it, and not right before a three month break for the playoff semi final...

All Promoters at every team need to start doing just that or the sport will die on it's ar5e before much longer.

Stupid Mickey Mouse competitions and unnecessary periods of inactivity as we've witnessed this season have to binned.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

All Promoters at every team need to start doing just that or the sport will die on it's ar5e before much longer.

Stupid Mickey Mouse competitions and unnecessary periods of inactivity as we've witnessed this season have to binned.

More than ever promoters need to get their pricing right. Putting up admission prices at a time domestic finances are under pressures that haven't been experienced in years is a recipe for disaster - and at a time when the Championship has been watered down. It's may be not the time to be speculating by spending heavily on advertising campaigns. 

I'd happily have accepted Stupid Mickey Mouse competitions to break up a completely barren couple of months. Not agreeing dates for these competitions was bordering on criminal. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beirao said:

More than ever promoters need to get their pricing right. Putting up admission prices at a time domestic finances are under pressures that haven't been experienced in years is a recipe for disaster - and at a time when the Championship has been watered down. It's may be not the time to be speculating by spending heavily on advertising campaigns. 

I'd happily have accepted Stupid Mickey Mouse competitions to break up a completely barren couple of months. Not agreeing dates for these competitions was bordering on criminal. 

I couldn't agree more.

However, the Glasgow promotion will 100% increase admission charges, or I'll eat my hat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noelinho said:

I've been saying for ages, I would love to see (@ all tracks) as much effort put into getting bums on seats as in team building. I've never been aware of the BSPL or it's predecessor ever holding any seminars on promoting or selling the sport!  

Going head to head with Edinburgh on a Friday evening was a bad move IMO. Sunday afternoon is more family friendly and you would get the odd punter coming along the M8 for their fix. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

Going head to head with Edinburgh on a Friday evening was a bad move IMO. Sunday afternoon is more family friendly and you would get the odd punter coming along the M8 for their fix. 

Couldn't get riders for a Sunday is why needed to change. Ideally wouldn't be same night but Sundays weren't working for that reason imo

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

Couldn't get riders for a Sunday is why needed to change. Ideally wouldn't be same night but Sundays weren't working for that reason imo

Don't think so. The owners hoped that we'd getter better crowds on what was once our traditional race night and one that was possible again once floodlights had been installed. 

Just now, Beirao said:

Don't think so. The owners hoped that we'd getter better crowds on what was once our traditional race night and one that was possible again once floodlights had been installed. 

It's part of it but rider availability on Sundays makes it very hard. Finding it impossible to make changes through the season. And that goes back to dick and Dickson era I believe. How many riders did Rob grant (allegedly) speak to to make changes at Newcastle? Wouldn't have 4 of this year's team if raced on Sundays as an example 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I've been saying for ages, I would love to see (@ all tracks) as much effort put into getting bums on seats as in team building. I've never been aware of the BSPL or it's predecessor ever holding any seminars on promoting or selling the sport!  

That's a bit of a Catch 22 - the BSPL is the promoters so them teaching themselves isn't going to get them anywhere f they don't know how to start with.

We need an independent ruling body if the sport is to survive because as things stand each promoter votes on what they see as beneficial to their own team and they ignore the bigger picture.

56 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

That's a bit of a Catch 22 - the BSPL is the promoters so them teaching themselves isn't going to get them anywhere f they don't know how to start with.

We need an independent ruling body if the sport is to survive because as things stand each promoter votes on what they see as beneficial to their own team and they ignore the bigger picture.

The BSPL would arrange the seminars but have proven experts from outside the sport to do the presentations. 

1 hour ago, JanAndersen said:

Tend to agree with you but I'm surprised Monarchs never tried a Saturday, their old race night, it may have attracted a few more from Edinburgh.

As for promoters promoting the sport, Glasgow do a good job. But on my 1 visit and watching on BSN  this year the crowd looked poor,. I've always said pick one meeting, do promotion like when a circus comes to town, can't move for advertising, discount tickets available the circuses seem to do well so speedway can maybe do the same.

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

The BSPL would arrange the seminars but have proven experts from outside the sport to do the presentations. 

They would only have to come to this forum to get all the 'proven experts'!:D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Neila said:

As for promoters promoting the sport, Glasgow do a good job. But on my 1 visit and watching on BSN  this year the crowd looked poor,. I've always said pick one meeting, do promotion like when a circus comes to town, can't move for advertising, discount tickets available the circuses seem to do well so speedway can maybe do the same.

As a matter of interest what exactly do Glasgow do, as like you the BSN meetings didn't seem that well attended. I'm not sure the 'circus coming to town' is a decent comparison as it's very different to promote/publicise a one-off event that is only 'in town' for a few days at most, to a weekly activity (similar to the Cardiff gp).