British Speedway Forum

6 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

The British U21 Final was fantastic and it was great to see Connor take the title and it was well deserved as he really dug in after a poor performance in his opening ride. However, i was very disappointed by the turnout on Sunday and if it hadn't been for the merry troubadours of Plymouth, the usual suspects from Armadale and one or two from Manchester and Redcar the stadium would have been almost empty. Really sad to see so few Glasgow fans turning out on what was a nice day weather-wise and good racing speedway-wise with a final heat worthy of an SGP final.

On another note, the new seating on bend 3 looks really good although on wetter days it could probably have done with some covering. 

The weather forecast was not great and people like myself are not prepared to travel giving the experiences of riders attitudes if damp, raining or wet  tracks.Scottish weather is so local and unpredictable it certainly doesn’t help matters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

Indeed if the rumours of the PL and CL amalgamating are true big change to team construction will be required.

If the change does go ahead I just hope the CL Promoters hold their ground and don't let the declining PL guys dictate what's happening.

Maybe something akin to the old RIDER CONTROL will be required to balance teams out though I can't see that being popular with all riders. But if they want a team place then hey ho go with the flow!

The simple way is to have a points limit for heatleaders (as well as the overall points limit). And have an accurate conversion factor between the leagues ÷1.5 is monstrously inaccurate)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The simple way is to have a points limit for heatleaders (as well as the overall points limit). And have an accurate conversion factor between the leagues ÷1.5 is monstrously inaccurate)

Yeah  I recall a few seasons back the  averages were so misleading.

I think it was Michael Palm Toft who was top of the Peterborough averages in the PL but was only fourth in the Redcar averages in the lower division.

The whole doubling up situation made a mockery of the averages between divisions.

2 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Indeed if the rumours of the PL and CL amalgamating are true big change to team construction will be required.

If the change does go ahead I just hope the CL Promoters hold their ground and don't let the declining PL guys dictate what's happening.

Maybe something akin to the old RIDER CONTROL will be required to balance teams out though I can't see that being popular with all riders. But if they want a team place then hey ho go with the flow!

If we go to a combined league next year, will we retain the Monday/Thursday fixed race nights. Don't think that would be popular with some Championship sides. If we don't then I can't see any Premiership riders who aren't riding in the Championship this year - guys like Kurtz, Lidsey, Ellis, Doyle at al - riding in the UK next year. So we're essentially dividing up the riders in the Championship's nine teams among however many teams want to join the new combined league. Rider control looks both inevitable and necessary. Points limit could be as low as 30! 

3 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

Yeah, I think we all expected him to make a bigger leap forward this year than he has so far. Seemed to have much more fight in him last year. 

Our expectations in recent years have often been unrealistic. Some reckoned Nowak would achieve a 7.00 average but didn't seem to understand that riding at two, partnering Chris Harris, he would need to score 7+3 in most meetings. Right now his GSA is 5.50 while his CMA is 6.90 - figuers from the BSPL site. Fully accept that his riding doesnt have the same zest as previously but let's keep our expectations in check. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

The weather forecast was not great and people like myself are not prepared to travel giving the experiences of riders attitudes if damp, raining or wet  tracks.Scottish weather is so local and unpredictable it certainly doesn’t help matters.

Plus it was the start of the Glasgow Fair holiday. I was actually dubious about making the 50 mile round trip due to the predicted weather forecast. I wonder how many more were put off by that?  Turned out there was no rain whatsoever at the stadium. 

20 minutes ago, Beirao said:

I can't see any Premiership riders who aren't riding in the Championship this year - guys like Kurtz, Lidsey, Ellis, Doyle at al - riding in the UK next year. 

The CL has managed fine without these guys for years and the standard of racing is just as high if not better.

Personally I think a league would be just fine without these guys and British racing wouldn't be disrupted to the same level.

I'm still of the opinion the GP series should be expanded to at least double the number of rounds it currently has with the riders only competing in the GPs and leaving the leagues alone.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Beirao said:

If we go to a combined league next year, will we retain the Monday/Thursday fixed race nights. Don't think that would be popular with some Championship sides. If we don't then I can't see any Premiership riders who aren't riding in the Championship this year - guys like Kurtz, Lidsey, Ellis, Doyle at al - riding in the UK next year. So we're essentially dividing up the riders in the Championship's nine teams among however many teams want to join the new combined league. Rider control looks both inevitable and necessary. Points limit could be as low as 30! 

Don’t think the Mon/Thurs would help Speedway in General if there  was a merger. Championship does not have to bow too Premiership demands .IMO.Premiership is the League in the most difficulty let them get on with it.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t think the Mon/Thurs would help Speedway in General if there  was a merger. Championship does not have to bow too Premiership demands .IMO.Premiership is the League in the most difficulty let them get on with it.

Quite agree with you Fromafar , we certainly shouldn't go for the fixed Mon/Thurs race nights. A combined league will have a lower standard than the current Championship so don't know how fans of  Premiership sides will react to that. 

1 minute ago, Beirao said:

Quite agree with you Fromafar , we certainly shouldn't go for the fixed Mon/Thurs race nights. A combined league will have a lower standard than the current Championship so don't know how fans of  Premiership sides will react to that. 

Correct. Given reason Glasgow and Poole are in this league is because of the fixed race nights (amongst other things) would be very dangerous to impose them 

4 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

Plus it was the start of the Glasgow Fair holiday. I was actually dubious about making the 50 mile round trip due to the predicted weather forecast. I wonder how many more were put off by that?  Turned out there was no rain whatsoever at the stadium. 

I think it's a problem these days tho. The threat of 'not good weather',,, it seems to be allover the place atm and in your face, possibly due to the climate crisis thing going on. 'Expect the worst or, stay in the hoos'? ;)

• Like 1

Finishing out the top 3 is surely a very realistic probability, if you were in the driving seat where would you make the 1 change that could make a worthwhile difference?

2 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Finishing out the top 3 is surely a very realistic probability, if you were in the driving seat where would you make the 1 change that could make a worthwhile difference?

You'll need to make 2/3? The obvious is a 4 pointer for Lee. Or Tate in for Novak. But really is it going to make that much difference? 

Your team average is too high ironically! 

7 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

If you can source the 4 point reserve going to score 6/7 points home and away you're a better man than me. As like for like as all we can do 

4 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

If we're thinking about shaking things up - and I think it's now too late - we need to change the structure of the team to have a stronger number six. This would require two changes. Brennan and Complin out - but no idea who to bring in - so dont think this is a goer at all.

We need to stick with what we have, or make changes with next year in mind. We still have nine league meetings left, enough for a new rider to get a "proper" average for next year.